Smash repairers/Machinists/Truck drivers or anyone with an opinion.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,
Today on my way home from work, I did something stupid...

Ran up a truck drivers ass.. Not my brightest moment. My car and the truck where still both drivable, nobody hurt.
The only damage to his truck was a bend in the rear bumper, below the hydraulic lift.

Driver and I swapped details (Im fully insured with a close to clean record but age/gender/car means excess sits at $3K) He checked the lift and all was well, but he did say that he'd look for quotes tomorrow and let me know wether the lift needs to be replaced?? Im not an expert but if you look at the image below, it doesnt look like the bent gaurd/bumper would really effect the hydraulic system and after watching it lower and raise It seem to work fine. Anyone have any idea how much it might cost to repair (bend back into place)? Im just stressing a bit, the bloke seemed a bit shifty.

Cheers

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
Hi Guys,
Today on my way home from work, I did something stupid...

Ran up a truck drivers ass.. Not my brightest moment. My car and the truck where still both drivable, nobody hurt.
The only damage to his truck was a bend in the rear bumper, below the hydraulic lift.

Driver and I swapped details (Im fully insured with a close to clean record but age/gender/car means excess sits at $3K) He checked the lift and all was well, but he did say that he'd look for quotes tomorrow and let me know wether the lift needs to be replaced?? Im not an expert but if you look at the image below, it doesnt look like the bent gaurd/bumper would really effect the hydraulic system and after watching it lower and raise It seem to work fine. Anyone have any idea how much it might cost to repair (bend back into place)? Im just stressing a bit, the bloke seemed a bit shifty.

Cheers
Did you videothe lifter in motion? If it works fine and it's recorded then you got no dramas , just the bent guard.if not and he's a prick then uhhhh ooooooooooooo.....truck drivers love new lifters!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
You're fully insured, so it's not up to the driver, it's up to the insurance companies. If this bloke decides that the lifter is damaged, he shouldn't be contacting you, he should be contacting his own insurance company. Who would then contact your insurance company.

I'd suggest you don't deal with this other driver at all if they contact you - just tell them to deal with their own insurance company.

This is why you pay for insurance. Not only are you covered in case of an accident, but if someone tries to scam you and claim that more damage has been done than has actually occurred, they're not trying to scam you, but they're trying to scam your insurance - and they've got WAY more resources to put towards lawyers and court costs than you or I ever would alone.

You're insured. Make sure you get your money's worth.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its broke its broke. If he gets a dodgy mechanic mate to say it's broken when it isn't get a second opinion from a mechanic you choose.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
With a $3k excess, unless you've got the "no claim bonus for life" or similar, I'd wait to see his repair quote. If its less than $3k and seems legit then just pay it and move on. If its looks dodgy, then tell him you want a second quote from a place of your choice. If he doesn't agree to that, then let your insurance company handle it all.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't think he will need to replace the whole lift, at very worst it would have a slightly bent hydraulic ram. I would of removed the rubber boot and had a look. You have to replace the rubber boot anyways, it's torn.