SMH Article: NSW cyclists may be required to carry photo ID

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-...-nsw-government-proposal-20150714-gibwil.html

Article in today’s SMH. I would assume many people riding a bike would have their wallet/ID with them regardless, so this proposed requirement is probably not a game changer.

It appears that there is still a push for cyclists to be registered/licensed. Also interesting to read there are proposals to increase fines for cyclists to be in line with motorists.

I actually rode past a group of cyclists protesting the closure of the College Street bike path on Friday, they were intentionally blocking traffic which I thought wasn’t very smart, if anything it would only further frustrate motorists. I was the only person using the bike lane! Haha!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You'd have to be a dim wit to oppose this idea but making it some sort of law is a bit steep.
I don't carry my wallet with identification unless I'm en route to a place that I plan to buy something at. If I'm commuting then yep, it's on me but ninety percent of the time it's not anywhere near me.
It would help to identify a person who is not coherent enough to speak and it gives an official avenue to book someone but other than that, I can't see the point.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Are they still trying to justify this, because of the ALL the Cyclists that have smashed into Car Drivers and Killed the Driver.

Ahh sorry that hasn't happened.

If they bring in Licencing Cyclists, as in a Cyclists Licence, that could be good as they would spend Billions of Dollars upgrading the Cycling Infrastructure to equal the Motoring Infrastructure.

Ahh sorry that's not gonna happen.

But it is good to have ID on you anyway.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Dim wit here - WTF! What's next, all citizens must carry identification on their person?

Police state bullshit - are we going to give the right to police to stop and do random checks on cyclists as well.

No, I don't ride with my wallet, for obvious loss reasons, and will continue not to regardless of some pathetic law mired in paranoia

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Police state bullshit - are we going to give the right to police to stop and do random checks on cyclists as well.
I thought the Cops could do that already? I thought there was a scenario that you can be fined and grounded for not having a bike in running order with the correct markings on it. Obviously the pilot can be done for riding whilst under the affluence of incohol and other poppies but I'm also pretty sure you can have a bike deemed unroadworthy.

I'd pay a minimal amount to obtain a cycling license but only if the funds were purely going into cycling paths and lanes.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Dunno...I don't really see this as a big deal. Surely having a form of ID on you is a sensible thing to do when riding anyway? If you come off and are injured, and unable to provide information, carrying ID would help. Unless your license is welded to your wallet, it can't be that big a burden to carry it?

It seems like a reasonable compromise to me - acknowledging that cyclist registration / specific licensing is really not feasible, but that everyone 18 and over should have an official form of ID, so just carry that. There are valid arguments against registration and licensing schemes, but to argue against needing to carry the ID that you already have...that just serves to reinforce many motorists belief that cyclists are all rights, no responsibilities doesn't it?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Often dont ride with ID, a law wont change that, I do often carry the phone.

I also dont mind pay for bike rego, it's a waste of time, but if I am paying rego, I'd have TAC cover without any issues (?) and I presume an entire lane to myself when riding?

Back in 98 the melbourne city council along with the police pressured all bicycle messengers to be identifable. I was '62' 20cm high numbers across my bag. I road through every red light, through red lights with police in vehicles or directing traffic, one way streets the wrong way, through various buildings and gallerias, it made no difference, not one complaint, when my contact details matching my number were documented with the police. When they increased fines on bicycles in 99 to 200+ an infirngement in melbourne, I also didn't bother stopping for police when being 'requested too'.

Same thing in cars - liscence plates work really well in reducing poor behavour (sarcasm), I see people run red lights, fail to indicated and failire to follow basic road rules every time I drive or ride, if i call the police to report this I'll be laughed at.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'd have to be a dim wit to oppose this idea but making it some sort of law is a bit steep.
I don't carry my wallet with identification unless I'm en route to a place that I plan to buy something at. If I'm commuting then yep, it's on me but ninety percent of the time it's not anywhere near me.
It would help to identify a person who is not coherent enough to speak and it gives an official avenue to book someone but other than that, I can't see the point.
Dunno...I don't really see this as a big deal. Surely having a form of ID on you is a sensible thing to do when riding anyway? If you come off and are injured, and unable to provide information, carrying ID would help. Unless your license is welded to your wallet, it can't be that big a burden to carry it?
I'm totally against Licensing/Registration for bicycles but I think it is sensible to have some form of ID on you in the case of an emergency.

I never ride with my wallet in my pocket but it’s usually in my backpack commuting or my camelback mountain biking (sometimes prefer to take my wallet with me rather than leave it in the car!)

What I am against here is the idea that carrying ID suddenly provides a further avenue to fine cyclists, for what exactly I’m not sure. I’m sure the police have better things to do with their time!

It’s stories like this that continue to fuel the rage between road users (motor vehicles/cyclists/pedestrians), in the past fortnight I’ve had two incidents where a car has intentionally tried to run me off the road. The last incident the driver waited for me at the next set of lights where he was yelling and screaming for me to approach him, I presume for a fight – I ignored it and continued on my way.

scblack

Leucocholic
I see no problem. I ride on Sydney roads to work, and always have my licence with me in a jersey bin plastic thing. Plus credit card, cash, business cards and phone too - so I can be identified if I am hit and unconscious.

While cyclists are not licenced or rego'd its no different to car drivers having to carry their licence.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I thought the Cops could do that already? .
Nah, they have to have cause, same for stopping a pedestrian etc - there is no legal requirement to carry ID in this country. The only way a police officer can interfere in your passage is with good cause or random breath test for drivers - they use RBT for checking all sorts of shit on cars and hassling the hell out of p platers on Saturday nights too.

You will notice if they stop to talk, they will use subtleties like "can I" , "would you?" Etc - they ask questions - it's the member of the public that then assume they have to do what they have just been asked to do.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Gee, what sort of emergency are you guys planning on having where you need your ID?

If you can't stumble out your own name, you are in far greater pooh than missing an ID - the missus might take an extra few hours to identify your body, but that might be near the end of it ( fortunately, emergency medicine will be provided to you regardless of a signed form if you are unconscious)

Now, a phone - THAT can be a hell useful item

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good idea vs good law is a big difference. Good idea to wear shoes outside when walking across a hot road. Stupid to make a law about it.
This is a solution desperate for a problem. Id say I have a licence on me about a third of my rides, only when commuting. Ducking to shops, miles on the roadie or on the mtb id very rarely have ID as I have no use or need for it

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
This is another fucking stupid Duncan Gay proposal since getting his bike rego in NSW proposal is stalling. What's exactly is the problem this is trying to address? Bike riders can break the law and not be ID'd? Fine, make every person in a public place carry ID, as they can potentially break the law. Bike riders getting injured and ID being difficult? Last I checked ID is no prerequisite for being treated in a public hospital in this country in an emergency. I certainly don't carry ID on every bike ride. Commuting yes, MTB generally no unless I'm doing a pitstop somewhere in which case it will be in my wallet that I have, heading up to the shops, around the corner to a mate's place, picking up the kids from school etc sometimes yes, sometimes no, out for a blat on the roadie I generally just take my phone.

scblack

Leucocholic
Gee, what sort of emergency are you guys planning on having where you need your ID?

If you can't stumble out your own name, you are in far greater pooh than missing an ID - the missus might take an extra few hours to identify your body, but that might be near the end of it ( fortunately, emergency medicine will be provided to you regardless of a signed form if you are unconscious)

Now, a phone - THAT can be a hell useful item
Part of having ID with me is I ride to work, and don't want a wallet while riding, thus I need the minimum things to get through a day.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dim wit here - WTF! What's next, all citizens must carry identification on their person?

No, I don't ride with my wallet, for obvious loss reasons, and will continue not to regardless of some pathetic law mired in paranoia
I've been pulled up on the bike llplenty of times. If they are in he mood to flex, they will. I've also had police try and tell me it is a requirement that I carry ID. Same with the dimwitted transit officers.

Nah, they have to have cause, same for stopping a pedestrian etc - there is no legal requirement to carry ID in this country. The only way a police officer can interfere in your passage is with good cause or random breath test for drivers - they use RBT for checking all sorts of shit on cars and hassling the hell out of p platers on Saturday nights too.

You will notice if they stop to talk, they will use subtleties like "can I" , "would you?" Etc - they ask questions - it's the member of the public that then assume they have to do what they have just been asked to do.
Fuck me...you must meet some nice cops. I had a disagreement with one on the train recently because he wouldn't say please when demanding my ticket. Somehow their "have your tickets ready for inspection" just doesn't seem polite.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Fuck me...you must meet some nice cops. I had a disagreement with one on the train recently because he wouldn't say please when demanding my ticket. Somehow their "have your tickets ready for inspection" just doesn't seem polite.
Yup, a please or a 'hey mate' and I'd be happy to give them id/ticket. Showing your ticket but not letting go of it isn't responded to well. Then they get all bitchy and ask for my student ID to prove being a student, hold onto that too.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
What about having to cary your Cycling NSW/Vic/Tas/Qld/SA/WA card or race license?

I'm thinking that from a legal point of view having evidence of 3rd party insurance when using the road would be a good thing?
I carry my Cycling NSW card with a spare $20 in my spares. I'm guessing most of you would carry your race license.

Wouldn't want your aggressively shaped helmet dinting an expensive Mosman bullbar without insurance???

- carpetrunner