Smithfield Trails

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Palm Cove next weekend from the 9th-12th, just wondering if anyone is a local and can show me some of the trails at smithfield?

I'll be bringing my 150mm stumpy and am happy to ride pretty much anything.

Cheers

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Dans MTB tours, Cairns MTB tours and Tropic Rides can all give you paid guides. Discovery cycles has a shop ride from the trail head on McGregor Rd Smithfield ( Look for AJ Hackett Bungy Jump site, near JCU Uni -leaves 5pm, usually 20 or so, mixed bag of riders - they cater for everyone and don't lose people. The trails are really well signposted, go to Cairns MTB club web page or RideCairns page for trail maps. If you still need a riding partner, I can probably meet you Friday night/Saturday morn. Word of warning...it gets dark quickly in the Forrest, pack your lights if you can. Have Fun! Palm Cove is about 20 mins easy ride to the trail head...you can do it almost entirely on bike paths including an underpass near the Uni. You can top up water at the Uni, at the trailhead and at the reservoir just below Jacobs Ladder. Cairns MTB tours has a shop opposite JCU if you need any spares, open till lunchtime Saturday.

Hi there, I was in Cairns a few weeks back and rode Smithfield solo. I hired a dualie from Cairns MTB Tours and grabbed a map. The tracks are really well signposted and have a good mix of XC and AM tracks. If you can't get a riding partner go anyway man, you can't go wrong. Watch out for the stinging trees!

beejay

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Palm Cove next weekend from the 9th-12th, just wondering if anyone is a local and can show me some of the trails at smithfield?

I'll be bringing my 150mm stumpy and am happy to ride pretty much anything.

Cheers
Hey mate
I'm in Clifton beach, next suburb down from Palm cove.
I'd be happy to show you around Smithfield.
I'm free Saturday and Sunday arvo from around 3pm and off Monday, Tuesday.
I'll PM you my number. Swing me a text when your in town.
Oh and I ride a 2015 reign happy to ride most anything too.

Last edited:

kooga

Likes Bikes
Where is the best place to hire a bike from for half a day? Heading up on Wednesday for a few days and keen for a ride. Also I generally ride XC hardtail, are the trails good for this, or should i get a Dually and go larger travel?

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Where is the best place to hire a bike from for half a day? Heading up on Wednesday for a few days and keen for a ride. Also I generally ride XC hardtail, are the trails good for this, or should i get a Dually and go larger travel?
Graham from Cairns Mtb tours. He has a fleet of Norco Ranges...it is school holidays so you might need to book. Ph 0418 769 782. The shop is almost at the trail head and he can sort you out with helmets and camelbak too. Have fun.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The world cup XC was held here but I'd definitely go duallie for maximum fun!

http://cairnsmountainbiketours.com/bike-stop-espresso/

These guys are opposite the Smithfield trails and hire Norco bikes.

Last edited:
I was in Cairns a few weeks back and had a spare afternoon so went up to Smithfield and hired a Norco dualie from Cairns Mountain Bike Tours. Grabbed a map from them and headed over...I had an awesome solo ride, got to ride most of the trails I think (probably missed a few of the local specials)...some good reward for effort.