Snake Proofing Yourself?

dasher.11

Likes Bikes
So its that time of year again when they come out to play, I was just wondering what you do to protect yourself?

I personally havent ridden much on dirt over summer (been confined to roads in recent years) and I feel as though I am quite exposed.

I ride in a pair of shimano am45's with socks pulled up half way up shins, dont wear knee or shin guards
So there is minimal protection there and Im stuck for ideas of what to do without wearing full blown shin guards??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're better off learning the right first aid, and carrying a couple of compression bandages. In the amazingly rare chance that you get bitten, if you apply the first aid properly and stay calm, you'll be fine.

You've got more chance of winning the lotto than getting bitten by a snake, unless you are doing something stupid like trying to handle or kill one.

Having said that, there is some footage on here from one of the members of a snake striking at a moving rider. It had been scared by the first rider in the group.

EDIT - Gripper, what's the top one mate?

Gripo

Eats Squid
From the top.....

Red belly black (heads down a hole chasing something)

Eastern brown

Carpet....

driftking

Wheel size expert
Need to do the same but I'll still reply.
+1 first aid gotta be on the list
I'd also add common sense, avoid the snake and don't aggravate it. Either ride around if possible or wait for t to be on its way.

I'd also think learning the common snakes in your area could be valuable, knowing if a snake is agressive or deadly will help you decide how to avoid or manage the snake. It can also help you understand the medical treatment you need to do yourself but if it's serious it will speed up the antidote time once treated. They won't need to spend much if any time working out which one to give you.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd also add common sense, avoid the snake and don't aggravate it. Either ride around if possible or wait for t to be on itsI'd also think learning the common snakes in your area could be valuable, knowing if a snake is agressive or deadly will help you decide how to avoid or manage the snake. It can also help you understand the medical treatment you need to do yourself but if it's serious it will speed up the antidote time once treated. They won't need to spend much if any time working out which one to give you.
Doesn't matter, unless you take in the actual snake that bit you, they will administer broad spectrum anti-venene. They won't take your word on species.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Doesn't matter, unless you take in the actual snake that bit you, they will administer broad spectrum anti-venene. They won't take your word on species.
If you take in the snake that bit you all that will happen is the nursing staff and doctors will run the other way.... And they won't administer any antivenin unless you show signs of being envenomated
Generally antivenin is has it's own complications and side effects so they don't administer it unless they have to

A lot of snake bites are either dry or show no signs of envenomation.

The venom travels through your lymph system which is low pressure and relatively slow moving. Your Lymph nodes are very good at getting rid of stuff.

Untreated the toxins in snake venom over whelm the lymph nodes and flood into your system. Proper first aid and application of a compression bandage slows the lymph system down even more and will generally give the lymph nodes enough time to deal with the toxins. So what they'll do when you get to hospital is put you under observation and do some tests. if you show no signs of complications they take off a little bit of bandage. wait a while and repeat....

A swab of the bite area will be a far more reliable indicator of which antivenin is needed then a dodgy ID from some a non expert in a bit of a panic after being bitten by a snake
(which is why it's important not to wash the wound or try to suck the poison out like in an old cow boy movie)

Proper first aid is crucial

http://www.workingwithwildlife.com.au/downloads/WwW-First-Aid-Sheet.pdf

Snakes are cool, leave them alone and mostly they'll leave you alone and remember since the introduction of antivenin and proper first aid awareness more people die in Australia from bee and wasp stings then snake bite.

And just a reminder how hard it is for non experts like us to positively ID an Aussie snake
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...es-are-out!!&p=2368191&viewfull=1#post2368191

Last edited:

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Dude this time of year I wear moto pants gives a little bit more pertection from the snake strike.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ From my memory of First Aid training at school, 1 compression bandage isn't usually enough. I'd carry at least two and that way you can do your whole limb (assuming it's your leg that's bitten). Another one on top would help if you found a decent stick to splint, as bending and moving can make the venom travel a bit faster.

Just need to remember how to apply it properly... Is it: start at the bite mark, go down to the end of the limb (to your toes or ankle?) then come back up all the way up to groin? Then splint it if you can and call for help?

If I saw a snake in advance, I'd stop and try and let it get out of the way. If not in time, try and either jump it or ride off track and get around it. Unless it's one of those real aggressive bastards, I doubt it'd try and strike at a bike + rider beetling along.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Have been slightly worried about this myself. Seen one last ride on the weekend. Also a local Ergon Energy worker was killed by a Taipan a few weeks ago. With the worlds deadliest snakes around the area its worrying. Might go get another bandage and also print what to do and put in my bag. I have stopped riding alone also. Maybe also start wearing my shin/knee pads as Im not racing so keeping fit.

mr chicken legs

Likes Bikes
had a brown snake strike at me at the you yangs on sun. spoted it to late to stop managed to jump him.he had a go as i went over him was a big bastard.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is better to start bandaging above the bite and move down to the periphery of the limb and then back up the limb. I think you will find the first aid standards now recommend this over starting at the bite and it makes sense as the local lymphatic envenomation is gently compressed away from the body rather than towards it in those first few turns.

I don't really see the point of wearing added protection to ride in snake season and nor do I like the idea of performing some contortionist manouvre to get your bits out of the way. Falling off when trying to ride with your feet in the air is more likely than if they stay on the pedals.

They are out there and I have had a few really close calls - three strikes that have hit the bike just behind my heel. However, they were all the result of circumstance. One was a brown that was spooked by a flock of little birds spooked by me as I came over a rise - they flew right at the snake and he was startled - then I came along. Another was a hair curler. I was riding from Byron Bay along the railway line (that's correct, it makes no sense, but I did it to see what was between Byron and the motorway) and saw a snake between the tracks ahead. No problem, it was uncurling to move away. Unfortunately it was a massive king brown and while there was still a metre of it on the tracks, the other 2+m were going down the ballast and he could not get away before I arrived on scene, so he swung back on himself and struck. Hit the bike hard on the chainstay. I was amazed he could lift all that weight up over a metre and then swing right back on himself.

Mostly snakes are gone before you get to them and they don't want to be around us. Just ride and have fun. Seeing a snake makes for a better ride IMO.

thecat

It is better to start bandaging above the bite and move down to the periphery of the limb and then back up the limb. I think you will find the first aid standards now recommend this over starting at the bite and it makes sense as the local lymphatic envenomation is gently compressed away from the body rather than towards it in those first few turns.
Latest courses I did recommended just starting at the tips of fingers/toes and working up the limb. Less confusing, you don't waste time trying to determining where the bit is and it's not doubling up on bandage so 1 will go further up the limb.

Just ride and have fun. Seeing a snake makes for a better ride IMO.
could not agree more

driftking

Wheel size expert
Well clearly you don't need to learn the snakes then, got burnt on that one :p

Can hurt thought to have an idea of the way a snake will react though, a eastern brown will be very different to a green tree snake.

thecat

sorry didn't mean to flame you in any way driftking, learning is always good. Knowing what types of snakes live in your area, their active times and general temperaments/behavior is always going to be a good thing. Helps you to develop an appreciation for them. :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
sorry didn't mean to flame you in any way driftking, learning is always good. Knowing what types of snakes live in your area, their active times and general temperaments/behavior is always going to be a good thing. Helps you to develop an appreciation for them. :)
No worries, I think flaming was the wrong word, more like got dominated by information.... I didn't take it as a flame so all good.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think its always good to be aware of were a snake may be . Usually there to the side of the trail line in a sunny area that has a small amount of grass to hide them . But yes i have bunny hoped a few . I find that if there is one that just wont go away and you cant pass it , banging a large stick on the ground making vibration moves them . I always see snakes even in the cooler months .

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I never saw a snake in 3 years of riding.... then i saw 3 in one ride!

A few questions..

Why do you wrap the bandage up towards the body? I would have thought that kind of pushes the venom towards the major organs?

I've always worried that I would panic if I was bitten whilst riding alone a long way from the trail head and i wouldnt be able to lower my heartrate. I understand the venom travels through your lymphnodes (understand might be an overstatement) but does heartrate have any effect at all?

Is it possible to get bitten without realising?