Snake Proofing Yourself?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hmm a bit of thinking and ive come up with an idea...would be good to have some feedback. Im quite up for doing this as when i ride i do alot of trail work too which involves bush bashing and walking around in long grass etc.

So it will wrap around using a velcro strip up the back instead of a zip so its adjustable and will have a stirrup under the heel so it doesnt ride up..maybe elastic at the top too. Anyway it will be three layers thick..

Outer - ripstop nylon
Middle - kevlar or maybe that flexible material that they put in bike tyres to stop tacks and nails if i can find it
inner - neoprene or terry towel to wick away sweat - similar to what you get in knee pads etc but thinner?

honestly do ya rekon it would work? I know you can buy ones but they are all hard out leather or designed for hunting/walking etc so are really stiff and may get a bit hot...
Sounds bloody hot and a little over the top. How many people have ever been bitten and riding?

Take the brown snake, which is the most common issue as they live in populated spots and are happy to strike out. 3mm long fixxed fangs. A sturdy pair of jeans with generally do the trick

If you are that worried, know your first aid, carry the right gear and don't ride alone. And be aware of your surroundings

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
If you are that worried, know your first aid, carry the right gear and don't ride alone. And be aware of your surroundings
got the kit and all that but ill give you an example as to why im a little worried....

last Monday whilst scouting for new trails in the Vic Alps (remote!!!) we ended up coming accross a trail that had so much deadfall on it that it was wrecked (would have been an awesome descent of about 25 tight switchbacks - if anybody is bored and wants to help me clear it....). Now to get to this point we alreay had to climb over lots of trees and had travelled substantially downhill. We were closer to the exit than backtracking so we made the decision to 'bush it' for about 400m rather than climb back up about 2km over 100's of downed trees. The vegetation was really thick and the whole time i was thinking 'snakes!'. I was totally 100% aware of the surroundings but the risk is still there - i mean i cant have eyes everywhere whilst walking/sliding down a 45 degree slope through vegetation.

Fair enough carry the first aid kit (which i had) and the mate who was with me just in case but isnt it better to not get bit at all? Solely Relying on that stuff is irresponsible in this case as its your last line of defence!

Obviously if you are riding round lysterfield or any other bike park then its different but out in the back country.......

mudmav

Likes Dirt
I can't see any other way of protecting yourself?

I've had some very close calls with snakes and I have never had a snake get aggressive. I've seen them shocked when I have disturbed them. But never angry and or aggressive, they are always trying to get away from me quick smart.

So the only other effective thing I can think of is carrying a satellite phone, or epirb. That way if you get bitten you can get help ASAP.

Even wearing gators or shin pads is no garuntee that your not going to get bitten. Most bights happen when people either try and catch a snake, don't back away from a snake they encounter, or fall off their bike trying to avoid a snake they have just seen.

It's a tough one but your best Defence is a solid set of gaiters and your eyes.