Snakes

Umby

Squid
Does anyone have any recommendations about a good portable first aid kit to get that can handle general snake bite aid or would a simple generic one do?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Does anyone have any recommendations about a good portable first aid kit to get that can handle general snake bite aid or would a simple generic one do?
you just need a blunt pocket knife to cut off the offending limb

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've said this before, setopress set at squares does not give you enough compression. If you can slip a finger under the bandage it isn't tight enough.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Well I'm 50 years old and I've never been bitten by a snake.

Not long to go now I guess.
I'm older and never bitten either, watched the big boy for a while at the Youies a couple of summers back. Was too big to pass, lying across the fire road up to Boulder.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure I'll have 127hours...

Cheers though, I know it's rare but with moving to Aus I wanted to at least be well prepared for the eventuality.
Most snakes bolt the opposite direction until they feel threatened but there's always that small chance of being bitten. Normally when you come out of winter towards spring they start to look for partners and you'll see a surge in activity.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've said this before, setopress set at squares does not give you enough compression. If you can slip a finger under the bandage it isn't tight enough.
There are 2 sides to the bandage, even the high compression side not enough pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

I need to get my kit sorted. I purchased the wrong snake bandage; mine has rectangles on it and we're supposed to use the ones with squares.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I need to get my kit sorted. I purchased the wrong snake bandage; mine has rectangles on it and we're supposed to use the ones with squares.
Have you had to administer first aid up there for a snake bite yet, those fuckers will be hidden everywhere in your location.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So many up here, people use browns and tigers instead of Crush cores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Have you had to administer first aid up there for a snake bite yet, those fuckers will be hidden everywhere in your location.
I've never (ever) had the pleasure of treating a snake envenomation!!
We rarely see snakes up here, think you nailed it, they're hidden. When I was living down in Wangaratta, tiger snakes were fucking everywhere! I didn't know how to bunny hop all that well back then either...was kind of an exciting time for me.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've never (ever) had the pleasure of treating a snake envenomation!!
We rarely see snakes up here, think you nailed it, they're hidden. When I was living down in Wangaratta, tiger snakes were fucking everywhere! I didn't know how to bunny hop all that well back then either...was kind of an exciting time for me.
I would have thought, you might have seen one or two but maybe people are a bit more snake smart in those areas.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
There are 2 sides to the bandage, even the high compression side not enough pressure?
Nah, needs to be about twice that to stop lymph flow. A good test that I was told recently was to try and slide a finger under the bandage. If it goes in without serious effort then it isn't tight enough.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm averaging a snake every 4-5 rides atm. Last tiger I came across I had plenty of time to see it so I just went around him. Interesting that he/she was quite curious, it didn't just bugger off. It went off the trail then came back to check me out once I was past.. Certainly wasn't a threating display, it probably just wanted to know what the fat blob was that went past..