Snakes

stirk

Burner
Saw a brown snake for the first time today at Lysty.

As i was riding through a narrow trail i heard something on the right of me and from the corner of my eye i saw something move. When i turned my head, i saw a brown snake with it's head slightly elevated. Absolutely shat myself and blazed through that the rest of the trail. Think i'm going to avoid that part of Lysty for a while...
hahaha - they move around, you never know where they will be!

Just practice lifting your legs really quickly, careful not to pull a hammy as it's the kind of quick movement that would, I know this from experience :(

Probably a story for the fuckwits thread....:behindsofa:

aRogue

Likes Bikes
I forget which exactly but it was between Upper Buckle and Lyster Track.

Edited.

Last edited:

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice decent size green tree snake enjoying some puddle action on the fire road back from the Gharnia Track. Looked pretty cool when he was swimming. Had to go back for a second look

Attachments

aRogue

Likes Bikes
hahaha - they move around, you never know where they will be!

Just practice lifting your legs really quickly, careful not to pull a hammy as it's the kind of quick movement that would, I know this from experience :(

Probably a story for the fuckwits thread....:behindsofa:

That's comforting! Haha

On another note, i've been wondering how it would be riding in another country away from all these deadly buggers. Then i remembered Africa have big cats such as lions and cheetahs and America have their grizzlies... So i guess it could be worse down under and it's probably better not to complain :heh:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Nice decent size green tree snake enjoying some puddle action on the fire road back from the Gharnia Track. Looked pretty cool when he was swimming. Had to go back for a second look
That's a beautiful snake. Very elegant.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That's comforting! Haha

On another note, i've been wondering how it would be riding in another country away from all these deadly buggers. Then i remembered Africa have big cats such as lions and cheetahs and America have their grizzlies... So i guess it could be worse down under and it's probably better not to complain :heh:
Their snakes put ours to shame too. You think Browns are mad & bad, the Black Mamba will actively hunt people, and can sustain fearful speeds that our Browns can only dream of.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
All this thread is missing is a post with a photo from track side, showing puncture wounds from a bite, with the victim waiting for rescue.

Buzz it not being me

Minlak

custom titis
Top Tip:- DO NOT google "Snake bite victim" and look at images thinking you are going to be funny with the perfect picture of a victim waiting for care..... I warned you ....

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Top Tip:- DO NOT google "Snake bite victim" and look at images thinking you are going to be funny with the perfect picture of a victim waiting for care..... I warned you ....
did you just define a new limit?

Minlak

custom titis
did you just define a new limit?
Mate I have a strong stomach I have seen some pretty disgusting things and didn't bat an eye even watched 2girls1cup without a hiccup.. I am constantly frowned upon at work for showing bad injuries from biking... But yup that search hit my limit :tape2:

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
rode over a redbellied black snake's tail on sunday at Lysterfield.... heard the shout from my mate riding in front "SNAAAAAKE...." I scanned, scanned, scanned and there is was about to go under my wheel.... legs up and a quick prayer to hope he didnt get flicked up behind me..... had a little brown in my knicks after that ride!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
rode over a redbellied black snake's tail on sunday at Lysterfield.... heard the shout from my mate riding in front "SNAAAAAKE...." I scanned, scanned, scanned and there is was about to go under my wheel.... legs up and a quick prayer to hope he didnt get flicked up behind me..... had a little brown in my knicks after that ride!
which track? anywhere near water? I did a full lap Sunday, fully expecting to see one and didn't, the whole time I was thinking it was perfect snake weather.

redbruce

Eats Squid
which track? anywhere near water? I did a full lap Sunday, fully expecting to see one and didn't, the whole time I was thinking it was perfect snake weather.
There are Red belly/blacks, Tigers and Browns distributed all around Lysty this time of year.

All can travel a distance from their preferred environment.

As noted hot days carry higher probability.

All you can do is be alert, but not paranoid.

Last edited:

Warwick

Likes Dirt
There are Red belly/blacks, Tigers and Browns distributed all around Lysty this time of year.

I've ridden thousands of k's at Lysterfield over the years, and only ever seen two snakes. Both on the games track. Both uphill; ran over a brown snake and it did nothing.
Mehhh.

teK--

Eats Squid

Ran over a brown snake on Commgames descent. A black/red looking one darted across the front of me when climbing back up Aneurysm yesterday. Both days it was very hot.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Yep, growing up on a farm exposed me to plenty of snakes. I'm more asking out of curiosity (and scaring the piss out of gregp), though I'm still not easy round Browns after one lunged at me years ago.

I've ridden thousands of k's at Lysterfield over the years, and only ever seen two snakes. Both on the games track. Both uphill; ran over a brown snake and it did nothing.
Mehhh.
I've done about 800km so far in 2015 and I'm well up on sightings, if I do go during the day, it's in the afternoon. I still go on hot days, did both Sat and Sunday just been, was hardly anyone there.

Tigers

Was up at Thredbo Friday.

Rode the valley track from my camp at Ngarigo. Took off and came around second corner to find a 3ft tiger laying across track. Big slide out, nearly threw the bike at it. It slowly wriggled away eventually. Bit of a mexican standoff for a few long seconds. Continued ride to Thredbo and back - every stick was a snake.

Couple hours later, sitting at camp site, nice low grass, something catches my eye - big fat 4ft tiger wiggling straight through campsite between the tents. Very rude.