Snakes

Doylo

Squid
any suggestions when riding clipped in and you come across a snake. Instinct is to lift feet off pedals- not with clips.
Came across a 5ft black snake on the road just 100m from car park where I ride.
Spring is here!!!

will2

Likes Dirt
After saying how rarely I see snakes. I almost ran over a black. Bantry Bay pump track, was hooking in on of the blind corners when on the exit there he was. Managed to stop, jump off but fuddled around a bit he just lay still and I managed to back away as he turned toward me, then slither off. Lucky those fellas are pretty chill.

Last edited:

harmer56

Cannon Fodder
Had been reading this thread a few weeks ago, hearing all the stories of people seeing snakes, and thinking how lucky I was to have never seen one in six years of riding......then came the weekend.

I was doing the Chocolate Foot 4hr race down in Nowra, final lap, about 1km into the track. About 2m in front of me I noticed a stick moving across the track.....hold on, that's not a stick....bloody red belly black snake. I managed to bunny hop over its tail, scream to the guy behind me that there was a snake on the track and then continued on my merry way. The adrenalin hit made me feel like superman for about 2 mins, then I quickly came down and felt like crap again haha. I was thankful it was my last lap.....after that encounter every damn stick looked like a bloody snake.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
First snake spottings this season riding lysterfield.

First one being slow and lazy up the boys farm or whatever up towards follow me. Rode around the sucker.

Second one at upper buckle. It seemed frazzled I locked the brakes and stopped just 1m short. It was a fat black maybe 1m long but very very fat. Poor sucker was trying to wiggle over the berm but it was too loose and he kept sliding down. Basically me and my mate sat there watching it try for a good 5 minutes.

And finally I nearly ran over a lizard (don't know my breeds). Climbing comms game track and was like, wow that is a very spikey rock. Nek minute the rock starts moving towards my tyre and darts off.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I've chased a frill neck, I think it was, on the Comm games track, surprisingly fast little bugger! I don't know any other lizard that gets up on his back legs and sprints!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wouldn't be a Frilly down here, they're Up North. Was probably a Jacky Lizard; similar kind of prickly "dragon" thing, but smaller, and will get up & run on its back legs.

asterix

Likes Bikes
Inadvertently jumped over this bugger on last weekends ride. He was sunning himself on some rocks & I didn't see him until I was in the air. Nearly binned it when I landed.

Fraggler

Likes Bikes
It seems lots are out and about in Brisbane at the moment. Have nearly landed on a couple last 2 nights jogging along kedron brook at night. They shot off too quick to be pythons.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Just picked up this poor little guy from the middle of the road outside the local primary school.
School was about to get out and a mum was sitting there in her car waving people around it.
Not sure when it got hit but I'm not rating it's chances of survival very high. Bit of blood behind the head and it was moving pretty gingerly.

Would you call wires for a run over snake?