Snakes

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Had a talk with this little red belly about the dangers of hanging about on the trails. The snake gave no fucks and continued to lay there and I swear it had a smile on it's face.

View attachment 367591
Interesting - is that a Red Belly? They're generally the ones I'm the most cool with seeing as their general MO is getting the fuck away from people as fast as possible.

Still remember seeing a brown snake that - no shit - would've been close to 3 metres in length up near the Mt Osmond Golf Course. That one had zero interest in moving.

stirk

Burner
Interesting - is that a Red Belly? They're generally the ones I'm the most cool with seeing as their general MO is getting the fuck away from people as fast as possible.

Still remember seeing a brown snake that - no shit - would've been close to 3 metres in length up near the Mt Osmond Golf Course. That one had zero interest in moving.
Yeah a little red belly. I find the opposite, that red bellies laze about are not skittish, browns bolt like crazy and tigers, well I've only come across two and they eye you off daring you to make the first move. I'm more cautious of tigers than any other snake.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah a little red belly. I find the opposite, that red bellies laze about are not skittish, browns bolt like crazy and tigers, well I've only come across two and they eye you off daring you to make the first move. I'm more cautious of tigers than any other snake.
I find Browns really unpredictable and range from bolt to CBF to getting pretty aggro. Still never seen a Tiger out in the wild but not looking forward to when I do - from what I've heard they sound well sketchy.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Now is the worst time of year for them I reckon. They start to move about, but they're still a bit sluggish and not so quick off the mark. More chance of surprising one this time of year, than in the heat of summer.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
copperheads are pretty bad, saw heaps out back country trout fishing when I lived down Canberra way..they would coil up on top of the tussock grass and sun themselves, when you walk by they spring off the tussock and launch themselves at you..fuckers!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
copperheads are pretty bad, saw heaps out back country trout fishing when I lived down Canberra way..they would coil up on top of the tussock grass and sun themselves, when you walk by they spring off the tussock and launch themselves at you..fuckers!
On the contrary, I've heard & read that Copperheads are usually pretty benign, like Blacks.Even when they're provoked enough to retaliate, they'll tend to headbutt rather than bite. Some years ago I went to a presentation by a local professional snake catcher; he told of one call-out he attended where a kid was literally standing on a snake and it was repeatedly going at her. It was a Copperhead, and didn't lay a single bite on the kid, just headbutted a lot to say "get the fuck off me!".

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Are you sure they weren't brown or king brown snakes, that really doesn't sound like a copperhead.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There is a video in the comments on the facebook link, looks like they had to call out a snake catcher in order to recover the bike lol.
Really? That snake is surely very dead... Or at least will be soon. They're very fragile. Poor bloody thing...

Flow-Rider

Burner
They can still turn around enough to bite you when they have a broken back. I picked up an eastern brown with a stick that was run over on the road, it was almost chopped in half and it was able to turn around and bite itself. The fucker played dead too.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
They can still turn around enough to bite you when they have a broken back. I picked up an eastern brown with a stick that was run over on the road, it was almost chopped in half and it was able to turn around and bite itself. The fucker played dead too.
not saying it would be easy...