Snapped Carbon Crank

Shan_Man

Likes Bikes
Just putting this up for some advice. I have recently purchased a Demo 8 II 2012. Was looking forward to my first season in the Vic series. On Saturday I went off a drop which was only about a 4f drop nothing serious but landed fairly hard, the pedal snapped out of the crank which made me eat shit and bust my collar bone. The cranks are xo carbon, as you guys know they aren't cheap and every where I read they supposed to be bomb proof. So what do I do now, what cranks to get? Is this common with carbon? Do I send some photos to sram see if I can a new set? Should I go aluminium? I suppose I have 8 weeks to think about it.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
I would definitely avoid carbon cranks for now, especially the XO's. At all three of the Redass DH NSW state rounds this year I saw a set of XO cranks that had snapped just above the thread for the pedal. I thought it was a coincidence when i saw the second set at Lithgow, but couldn't believe it when I saw a third set at Stromlo.

Just get a set of Saints, you'll be happy with them.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I know of two guys here in Newcastle, both with Demos that snapped the same cranks within days of each other. Both bikes just out of warranty, one guy got a replacement set but the second one didn't.

Bamm

Likes Bikes
sucks sucks

To be injured in that way and out of action. Feel for you dude. For sure go aluminum. Saint or Decendant and yes forward your predeciment with photos to sram

Shan_Man

Likes Bikes

Thought I'd put some photos up.
Not that they will care but, anyone know the best email address for SRAM?

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Carbon is incredibly strong in the right conditions, but considerîng how much potential carnage your cranks go through, it's not a good place to save weight strength. Get some saints.

Minlak

custom titis
Not that they will care but, anyone know the best email address for SRAM?
I had a Shock that needed service from Sram and pretty much got told you have to deal with them through an LBS I tried the importer I tried their facebook always got told same thing. Throw the pic on their facebook is the best bet :)

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah I would be contact SRAM about, especially with so many of these cranks appearing to be failing in the same spot AND the injury which resulted from such failure..

Also, when you replace I would be alum....

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Did you buy the bike second hand or was it new old stock?

Cant imagine SRAM will warranty anything or be too sympathetic if it was second hand and you can't vouch for how it was treated prior to purchase.

Definitely sucks that it happened and that you got injured because of it though and worth raising it with them.

Shan_Man

Likes Bikes
Yeah I did buy it second and agree that they won't do much about it but they do need to know that this is happening to their so called awesome product.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Yeah I did buy it second and agree that they won't do much about it but they do need to know that this is happening to their so called awesome product.
True and I would be pissed if I was you and it turned out to be a known fault (as it appears it could be).

Does anyone ever do recalls in the bike industry like in the car industry? I've never seen one but would be interesting to know if it's ever happened

Bamm

Likes Bikes
Sram Australia
6 Macro Crt
Rowville VIC 3178
(03) 9753 2344

Post it to them with a Merry Christmas card

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Fuck me, specialized are putting carbon cranks on freakin downhill bikes!

Maybe it's just hindsight, but seems pretty foolhardy - XO is all about the weight and bikes that stay firmly on the ground, so for me, not a failure of sram, but poor part choice by the manufacturer

Edit - just looked up and this years demos have the XO DH crankset . If these fails are downhill specific then I take that back - it's SRAMs fail. I'd definately send something to SRAM - maybe some medical bills sent their way might cause some change

Last edited: