Snapped CCDB damper shafts on Demo 8's, common?

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Considering one of these for my Demo but heard the shafts a renowned for snapping when used on the Demo. Has this happened to any Demo owners?

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Yeah mate its a common fault with on demo frames. Send the shock to NS Dynamics with proof of purchase if it is in the warranty period still and they can install a bigger shaft designed for demos all under warranty.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Curious to why this is a issue?
what is it about the demo that creates this issue.
I've had one a scalp well over a year with no probs but yeah know a couple guys on demos that snapped em, surely someone would've had the problem on a different frame though?

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Yeah mate its a common fault with on demo frames. Send the shock to NS Dynamics with proof of purchase if it is in the warranty period still and they can install a bigger shaft designed for demos all under warranty.
Hmmm, so I guess it's a bit of a gamble then. Not sure it's worth the risk as I intend to take the bike to the Alps this year and of course if it's there's a chance it'll snap it'll happen over there.

houso

Likes Bikes
Hmmm, so I guess it's a bit of a gamble then. Not sure it's worth the risk as I intend to take the bike to the Alps this year and of course if it's there's a chance it'll snap it'll happen over there.
A mate and I both ride Demo's, his CCDB shaft snapped on the Road Gap at Stromlo. Fixed under warranty (replaced 7mm broken shaft with 9mm I believe)
Although I had no problems with mine I upgraded it to the 9mm Shaft as a precaution, as we were about to head off to Whistler and I didn't want it happening over there.
Guys like NS Dynamics deal with this issue regularly, but I think all the latest CCDB (Post 2012) come with 9mm Shaft stock now, this is my understanding anyway.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
A mate and I both ride Demo's, his CCDB shaft snapped on the Road Gap at Stromlo. Fixed under warranty (replaced 7mm broken shaft with 9mm I believe)
Although I had no problems with mine I upgraded it to the 9mm Shaft as a precaution, as we were about to head off to Whistler and I didn't want it happening over there.
Guys like NS Dynamics deal with this issue regularly, but I think all the latest CCDB (Post 2012) come with 9mm Shaft stock now, this is my understanding anyway.
How much did it cost to get the shaft changed? Out of curiosity do you have any experience with other shocks on the Demo? If so is how does the CCDB compare?

morticus

Likes Dirt
I was going to annoy Haltz enough to swap my kashima rc4 for his ccdb for my demo, however after hearing about the snapping issue in the demo frame, and I would have basically acquired it second hand, I didn't think it was worth the risk. Unless you can get the shaft swapped out before buying, or can obtain the original receipt then I would stay away from them second hand. fwiw, I think the rc4 is fuckin unreal...

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
My understanding of this issue is in relation to how much you pre-load the spring. Apparently, and don't quote me on this, the more pre-load, the more pressure you put on the shaft.

I run a CCDB on my Demo 2012 and (knock on wood), all good so far. Been to Canada, put it through 2 weeks of heavy abuse with lots of verticals + Silver* + Whistler anda trip to Thredbo here and there plus the local trails.

I do run little pre-load (3 turns) and super plush settings, but this is not intentional due to the issue with the CCDB, I just like to run the shock this way.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Well, I decided to buy a DB. Spoke to one of the guys from NSD and he said that only earlier 2012 Demo 8's had DB's with the slimmer shaft, hence I found me an 2013 ex Demo 8 DB. Interested to see how much difference there is in the fast rough stuff between the DB and my current Van RC (the Van does everything else fine).