Snowboarding vs Skiing!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Nah bad attitudes still sucks! Unless your into cross country skiing, that's really cool, just like cyclocross.......
Skiing and snowboarding are very different. It's like being at a skate park and saying skate board or bike.
iski because I can and haven't enjoyed boarding on shit Aussie snow. If I lived in Japan is board and ski.
boarding definitely has more soul and flow feeling, but skiing feels more accurate like a bike IMO.
i ski with both skiers, boarders and chook footers, we all have as much fun.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To keep and old thread alive......

I started as a forest fairy (XC skier), then became a dick on sticks (dh skier) now I'm on a gay tray. I splitboard these days. Before you ask, a splitboard is a snowboard spilt length ways that you bang skins on, shift the bindings and use as ski's to climb up mountains. At the top you rip off the skins put it into board mode and snowboard down. It's a lot like MTBing for me. I climb because I have to and rip the downhill. I hate being in the Aussie resorts in winter. I hate the queues, the fact that it snows 10-15cm overnight and they groom it all off and the cost of a lift ticket. I started splitboarding about 7 years ago and have found way better snow outside the Aussie resorts and have done it in Japan, Alaska, New Zealand and Utah. Climbing BIG mountains then snowboarding down them is one of the best, most rewarding and outright fun feelings you will ever get. I am grinning like an idiot at the bottom, every time!!!!!

It is so much like MTBing I can't believe there aren't more of you out there. Please don't take that as a suggestion though. It's beautiful and quiet out there and so much fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm partial to a little hiking...you know from the top of the lift up a little further. But as a lazy man I am all about the slack country.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Big time skiier here.
The only thing I really dont like about Australia is the ski fields. We are super spoiled in Aus, the missing link to make Aus comfortably the best place in the world is decent legit Mtns. Like Alps or Rockies style Mtns.

Aus ski fields are over-priced, terrible snow, short runs, consistent bad super unpredictable weather, rain, wind, ice, slush, super crowded and full of Rich kids driving Mummy and Daddy's range rover for a weekend on the piss and 2 hrs of actual snow time, which drives accom prices through the roof. However is there is odd gem of a day if your either flexible with timing and can head up at the drop of the hat or super lucky.

Have skiied Nt America and Canada a fair bit and it just shits all over anything we have.
Its fortunate that we can ski in Aus, but compared to whats on offer across the rest of the world, its seriously not worth it.
Save your pennies and do a week in NZ instead. A week in Aus is comparable to a week in NZ, that includes flights.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Big time skiier here.
The only thing I really dont like about Australia is the ski fields. We are super spoiled in Aus, the missing link to make Aus comfortably the best place in the world is decent legit Mtns. Like Alps or Rockies style Mtns.

Aus ski fields are over-priced, terrible snow, short runs, consistent bad super unpredictable weather, rain, wind, ice, slush, super crowded and full of Rich kids driving Mummy and Daddy's range rover for a weekend on the piss and 2 hrs of actual snow time, which drives accom prices through the roof. However is there is odd gem of a day if your either flexible with timing and can head up at the drop of the hat or super lucky.

Have skiied Nt America and Canada a fair bit and it just shits all over anything we have.
Its fortunate that we can ski in Aus, but compared to whats on offer across the rest of the world, its seriously not worth it.
Save your pennies and do a week in NZ instead. A week in Aus is comparable to a week in NZ, that includes flights.
I have given the NZ snow industry too much of my time and money. I have found their product to only be marginally better and marginally cheaper than here, and far rockier! Also if they don't get fresh snow you face a significantly higher risk of ice. Plenty of great options exist for great prices. New Zealand has been relegated to bike holidays. Maybe a fishing trip one day too.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I have given the NZ snow industry too much of my time and money. I have found their product to only be marginally better and marginally cheaper than here, and far rockier! Also if they don't get fresh snow you face a significantly higher risk of ice. Plenty of great options exist for great prices. New Zealand has been relegated to bike holidays. Maybe a fishing trip one day too.
Have only had good experiences skiing NZ. Base yourself out of Queenstown and hire a car.
Then if the weather or snow sucks, Queenstown has so much to offer.
Amazing Fly Fishing also, did a week there with the old man a few years ago with a guide, fishing the crystal clear glacier fed streams is a real experience id suggest to anyone.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have only had good experiences skiing NZ. Base yourself out of Queenstown and hire a car.
Then if the weather or snow sucks, Queenstown has so much to offer.
Amazing Fly Fishing also, did a week there with the old man a few years ago with a guide, fishing the crystal clear glacier fed streams is a real experience id suggest to anyone.
I've burried about 3 months on snow in Queenstown. I've had some awesome times there; but I've not had such awesome conditions as places like Japan or Chile. The average conditions I've had are of equal standing to a good conditions here. I believe the deepest fresh I've experienced topped put at 50cm and had to last a week until it was topped up. Sometimes needing to survive on no fresh falls for over a week. That makes for tough times! So much hiking to cut fresh lines. On the plus side, far out they deal steep out well when you do hike!

The fishing in NZ has long tempted me...it just seems to be a very abundant and unspoilt natural environment. With massive kingfish and snapper. And trout. And...I'm pretty keen to discover if there is good fishing in the lake at Rotorua. That could make holidaying there even better.

goobags

Likes Dirt

Snowboard! Fully directional pow board. Not for Australian snow that's for sure. It eats up Japan!

Custom made in Australia, such a nice board and cheaper than most of the brand name stuff too

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The fishing in NZ has long tempted me...it just seems to be a very abundant and unspoilt natural environment. With massive kingfish and snapper. And trout. And...I'm pretty keen to discover if there is good fishing in the lake at Rotorua. That could make holidaying there even better.
from Rotorua, Lake Taupo and all its tributaries is just a short drive south..or go north east to Whakatane (Fuck-a-tarny), great game and reef fishing off shore.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
from Rotorua, Lake Taupo and all its tributaries is just a short drive south..or go north east to Whakatane (Fuck-a-tarny), great game and reef fishing off shore.
Taupo is very nice. I spent a few days there last year.

That top corner is supposed to have good lbg fishing as well.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
I mainly board, but still ski occasionally.
I reckon the Ski Vs Board argument is up there with Ford/Holden and XC/DH - pointless. Both are great for different reasons.
Dead right my friend.
I grew up skiing in a little Canadian town called Revelstoke. The only reason i took up biking is because the snow would eventually melt. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Ever since skis grew to 120+ mm under foot they have been unstoppable- however this never would have happened without the development of snowboards.
Both are awesome. Aussie ski field prices are disgusting. Go to Japow for light, deep pow for great value.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dead right my friend.
I grew up skiing in a little Canadian town called Revelstoke. The only reason i took up biking is because the snow would eventually melt. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Ever since skis grew to 120+ mm under foot they have been unstoppable- however this never would have happened without the development of snowboards.
Both are awesome. Aussie ski field prices are disgusting. Go to Japow for light, deep pow for great value.
Nods head and has self indulgent look of agreement on face.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wanaka has the better selection of mountains in my opinion. But, tis sucky ducky that Snow park has closed down though.
Japan 15/16 season has so far been shitful. Still waiting for that Japow that is frequently mentioned.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Wanaka has the better selection of mountains in my opinion. But, tis sucky ducky that Snow park has closed down though.
Japan 15/16 season has so far been shitful. Still waiting for that Japow that is frequently mentioned.
We have a saying from back home...
In like a lamb, out like a lion.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Patience...it will come. They usually only have a few meters by Christmas and the season doesn't really open until mid-december. Late January and February is whencmost of the snow falls. A husband and wife pension owners I stay with regularly always tell me they have 8 weeks to make all their money because the season is short. Their town averages 11-12m snow fall, usually in a few Intense falls lasting a few days.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Patience has paid off. I spent 15 days on snow, the worst of which could be considered "ok". It snowed just before I arrived, 7 of the 15 days, and the other days were carried by the reasonable dumps. The down side was that the much lower base level left a lot more spindly little trees and shrubs exposed than usual. This made tree riding and out of bounds activities a bit tricky. So not the best trip, but still plenty of awesome.