So, a man walks into a bike shop.........

wayneh

Likes Bikes
hello everyone, I am new here so please bear with me as I float the following for informed discussion

I'm in my early 50's (living In Tas) and haven't rode anything remotely bike related for 20 years+ or so, since my now adult kids where much younger humans. I have a desire to start mountain biking (with a bit of on road thrown in - nothing serious more exercise/fun related riding and use some of the great trails all within 30mins or less of where i live, oh yeah and I don't seem to heal as quickly as I used to so much care been taken while riding), hence why I joined here. I work in large office with lots of bike riding co-workers who all seem to have mortgaged a kidney to buy some rather special looking bikes, both roadies and real mountain bikers. I cannot spare a kidney right now....... so yes cost is a limiting factor and will be for sometime to come (divorce, new mortgage etc, you get the idea i'm sure)

I have been reading various forum posts here, visited the local library to try and get some relevant information and visited all my LBS to see whats available in the local market at my possible price point. I should say at this point all the shop staff have been excellent in giving of their time and advice. LBS brands cover the usual suspects Giant, Trek, Scott, Specialized, Merida, Avanti in particular order. I have also looked at Cell, Reid and Polygon websites Findabike has been my friend for a few weeks now keeping an eye out for a local second hand bargain (ddia lso do the eBay thing, found lots of "unknown" brands) - missed a Focus Whisper for very small $$$ on Gumtree as I didn't know the brand and while reseaching someone with better knowledge snapped it up, bummer.

Then confusion sets in as my local Ananconda drops their festive seasons catalogue into the letter box.....

Inside I find the Fluid Richochet for a very "nice" $499.00 (down they claim from $1399??), putting it around $300 - $400 less than what most of my LBS are offering me as "entry" level bikes. Specs list seems ok adn similar to LBS offerrings; Shimano this and that, Rockshox XC30 fork (guessing not air)- you get the idea

So on a purely value for money basis should I be looking more closely at this Fluid bike???

I have read previous threads about giving Fluid a miss but the questioner in those cases wasn't looking at things from a value perspective, as I read it anyway....

Looking forward to constructive replies, thank you all and sorry for the long post

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
what's your actual budget, and how tall are you? short legs, long legs? reach?
Bikeexchange.com.au is a good place to see what's being sold (new) locally. there are some 2nd hand on there.

some good deals on hardtail complete bikes pop up here now and again. Tas is probably a smaller marketplace.
Can be worth trawling around some of the stores to get them to size you etc. Be aware that the stores mainly just want to pump product out the door at a prodigious rate, the sales people may try to sell you something to get rid of it, rather than something that will suit your needs etc.

Try waiting till after christmas when bikeshops may have sales to move bikes that didn't sell before Christmas. Ask questions & better to spend a bit more on a reasonable frame. Drivetrains wear out and can be replaced cheap from online retailers.
Go for a frame that has a tapered headtube/headset that will take 1&1/8 to 1.5in steerer forks.
27.5 wheel size (or 29er if you are not a midget) very easy to get widest variety of tyres for them.
anything with "plus" size whatever - is a bit of a wank, in my opinion. stick with regular size wheels and tyres.

Some cheapo ($500ish) bikes will have straight steerer 1&1/8 forks and headtube/headset.
Avoid. Getting very hard to find decent non-tapered steerer forks these days.

Last edited:

wayneh

Likes Bikes
what's your actual budget, and how tall are you? short legs, long legs? reach?
Bikeexchange.com.au is a good place to see what's being sold (new) locally. there are some 2nd hand on there.

some good deals on hardtail complete bikes pop up here now and again. Tas is probably a smaller marketplace.
Can be worth trawling around some of the stores to get them to size you etc. Be aware that the stores mainly just want to pump product out the door at a prodigious rate, the sales people may try to sell you something to get rid of it, rather than something that will suit your needs etc.

Try waiting till after christmas when bikeshops may have sales to move bikes that didn't sell before Christmas. Ask questions & better to spend a bit more on a reasonable frame. Drivetrains wear out and can be replaced cheap from online retailers.
Go for a frame that has a tapered headtube/headset that will take 1&1/8 to 1.5in steerer forks.
27.5 wheel size (or 29er if you are not a midget) very easy to get widest variety of tyres for them.
anything with "plus" size whatever - is a bit of a wank, in my opinion. stick with regular size wheels and tyres.

Some cheapo ($500ish) bikes will have straight steerer 1&1/8 forks and headtube/headset.
Avoid. Getting very hard to find decent non-tapered steerer forks these days.
Thanks for the quick reply in short

budget - under $800ish
i'm 170cm and a bit short in the legs
the local Merida shop sized me on there product as a medium frame size

Mt first adult mountain bike was the same fluid but 2014 model.

I've upgraded a bit since then, but had no issues with the bike. I found it was a great intro bike and good for a mix of light trails and road.

Though, it can handle rough trails, I rode it everywhere here including some of the local DH tracks. I gave it to a mate and now he rides it on all the same tracks plus commutes on it.

I don't know much about used bike market etc so can't offer any advise there sorry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
$800 could see you on a good second hand hard tail and perhaps even a good new one. If you can stretch to $1000 you will be at the cusp of a good entry level bike with more options. Bike Exchange as mentioned is a great spot for comparing what is being reduced and cleared out around the place.

Avoid any bike with a straight 1 1/8 head tube. Sadly this ageless and effective standard barley exists on quality products any more. I feel it is used as a mechanism to force whole bike upgrades on the beginner market as you can't just switch out the shitty stock forks.

Don't be afraid to let your house buy you a bike! With the wife gone, who is going to ride your arse about it? Time to live large...it's time for either a bike, Ferrari, or Thai trifecta.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Welcome to the world of MTB Wayne. Careful, it's addictive!

With an 800 buck budget, I'd suggest second hand, a quick look at Guntree in tas shows slim pickings, but there can be bargains. You'll need to test ride and be careful everything works as it should with second hand.

At the moment doesn't seem to be any bikes suitable listed in the trading section here for you. As a new member you can send a PM to anyone who has a for sale listing should something pop up.

Back to gumtree, a bit of a drive I know....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1164...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Anaconda/rebel bikes tend to run outdated components. Walked into one for the giggles a few weeks back and saw brand new 5 year old parts on their "top tier" current model bikes. That XT derailleur was current in 2010, STI shifters I've not seen in 15years of work, the adverts are clever. Their carbon hardtail was brutally expensive, circa 2012 style Apollo.

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Welcome to the world of MTB Wayne. Careful, it's addictive!

With an 800 buck budget, I'd suggest second hand, a quick look at Guntree in tas shows slim pickings, but there can be bargains. You'll need to test ride and be careful everything works as it should with second hand.

At the moment doesn't seem to be any bikes suitable listed in the trading section here for you. As a new member you can send a PM to anyone who has a for sale listing should something pop up.

Back to gumtree, a bit of a drive I know....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1164...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms
thanks for the reply, the Polygon looks interesting but a bit far away for me just now, bummer

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Hey Wayne, welcome. Everyone above has said good stuff, particularly Link. Once you start, it's bloody addictive, so I reckon your first bike will last you all of 12 months before you'll be looking to upgrade! As such, don't sweat the decision too much.

Being in Tassie, are there hire bikes available in places like Derby that you might be able to have a spin on to get a feel for what reasonable bikes are like?

And you might be worried about your fragility now, but that all goes out the window when you start hitting some jumps and drops!

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Hey Wayne, welcome. Everyone above has said good stuff, particularly Link. Once you start, it's bloody addictive, so I reckon your first bike will last you all of 12 months before you'll be looking to upgrade! As such, don't sweat the decision too much.

Being in Tassie, are there hire bikes available in places like Derby that you might be able to have a spin on to get a feel for what reasonable bikes are like?

And you might be worried about your fragility now, but that all goes out the window when you start hitting some jumps and drops!
Not sure re hire bikes, there is a local guiding company who do trail rides, half, full and more days with bike supplied as part of the deal, they could be an option for a quick spin

wayneh

Likes Bikes
A slightly off topic thought (maybe it should be it's own post) what's everyone's thoughts about diminishing returns with new bikes. By that Im thinking is there a magic dollar figure where you get best overall bang for buck or to look at it another way paying more doesn't give you much more in features or performance :rolleyes:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A slightly off topic thought (maybe it should be it's own post) what's everyone's thoughts about diminishing returns with new bikes. By that Im thinking is there a magic dollar figure where you get best overall bang for buck or to look at it another way paying more doesn't give you much more in features or performance :rolleyes:
Very relevant question.

Depends on your perspective, assumptions and intentions.

For a novice starting out, I'd say these are the specs you need to look for:

Aluminium frame
Front suspension
Basic shimano hydraulic brakes
2x10 shimano drivetrain

I personally will never buy a new complete bike again. Sure maybe a frame, but not a whole bike

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Very relevant question.

Depends on your perspective, assumptions and intentions.

For a novice starting out, I'd say these are the specs you need to look for:

Aluminium frame
Front suspension
Basic shimano hydraulic brakes
2x10 shimano drivetrain

I personally will never buy a new complete bike again. Sure maybe a frame, but not a whole bike
Does buying a frame plus adding the required items to that increase the overall costs? Little hard to answer I guess depending on equipment spec?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Does buying a frame plus adding the required items to that increase the overall costs? Little hard to answer I guess depending on equipment spec?
Buying a frame and specing your own goodies is definately more expensive

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
So many variables there mate but generally speaking top of the range is not really worth the dollar. As an example in the shimano parts the SLX is great, XT only slightly better and XTR not worth the dollar's unless you have lot to burn.

Focus on the frame as you'll wear out and replace/upgrade components. Polygon do equip their bikes with good spec for the money, a mate bought a budget Fliud and it was crap, anything from that department store is overpriced.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You fucking sinful witch!!! Burn the witch! You'll need to learn that the more cash you spend the better your bike will be, the better you will ride, the more awe your mates will have towards you, and above all else (!!!!) the more you will be flocked by your gender of choice at the trail head.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Welcome Wayne to the temple of ‘burn!

I too live in the best little island in ‘straya.

Keep a keen eye on Gumtree mate. It might be slim pickings this week...but I have seen plenty of good bikes around your budget, many times.

..and there’s a BookFace group called Bicycle Buy Trade Swap Tasmania (or something like that anyway...)

Second hand bikes can be really good value for money sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk