So I'll be booking a DH trip to NZ very shortly... here's why.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
where do you get that price from? $Bro70 for a day pass according to the website
Well it doesnt specifically say what currency it's in, but im going to assume it's USD seeing it's Dirt.com ..

For $70 a day seems very reasonable.. I can definitely see some trips on the cards - DH weekend in NZ for probably under $500 or so bucks

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Well it doesnt specifically say what currency it's in, but im going to assume it's USD seeing it's Dirt.com ..

For $70 a day seems very reasonable.. I can definitely see some trips on the cards - DH weekend in NZ for probably under $500 or so bucks
That's $70 NZud money so about $55 Aussie.

Previously the only way to get your bike on the gondola was with Vertigo Bikes.

J

JaRedy

Wow, sure do wish that was the case when I was there. I diddnt go for a riding holiday but I did have a craving for bikes so I did the vertigo thing. Couldnt say it was worth the money getting two runs on a bike i wasnt familiar with (I ride a GT DHI and the bike was a giant glory so it felt very different and uncomfortable).
Dont wanna diss Vertigo bikes, thats just the way they do it and it is perfectly justified...but it just wasnt enough for me.

Lets all ditch our better halves for a week! RB assemble!
Hahahaha I have already informed the gf that after next week, I am going to be riding my bike profusley. I gave her warning, thats all I can really do :p

houli77

Likes Dirt
that's so fucking rad.. ;)

i rode there last year, that mtn is literally full of sick lines..

and probably reasonably comparable in cost to going to Thredbo if you get some cheap flights. (well from Brisbane anyway...)

Thredbo can kiss my ass if that Gondola is open for bikes.. Sorry Thredbo... :p

gondola is like 10min walk from centre of town. no need for car.

and Qtown is like an alpine version of Byron Bay.. ladies, ladies more ladies and bars and pubs. Sick party town..

here's vid of me riding main line from last year. might have changed by now.

there were heaps of other lines, some of which were pretty heavy. sure there'll be heaps more once the gondola is opened up..

i am so going back....

[video=youtube;ch-JXLLEPTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-JXLLEPTg[/video]

Last edited:

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Just got back from a 3 week riding trip in NZ (highly recommend it) and we checked out the new trails being built for the Gondola ... they look sweet. Heres a few photos of one of the new trails, It wasn't open yet, they were still working on it but it reminded me of Crank It Up in Whistler.

There are now plenty of trails on the hill to make a long weekend well worth the trip. Can't wait to head back over with the big bike ... and a full face!

Edit: After looking at the pics again it looks like there are no jumps, don't worry there are heaps of fun tables on the new trail, i just didn't take any photos of them?

The original offer with one of the shops there that you paid (i think) $140 and got to have two runs on the DH course!
Haha, what a rip, it took us about half an hour to ride up!

Attachments

Last edited:

tumble

Likes Dirt
Thanks for those Cronar.
It's certainly coming along nicely & making me consider doing Queenstown instead of Whistler in 5 months time. Save a bucket load of cash & probably have just a sicka time.

floody

Wheel size expert
Thanks for those Cronar.
It's certainly coming along nicely & making me consider doing Queenstown instead of Whistler in 5 months time. Save a bucket load of cash & probably have just a sicka time.
Er Queenstown in 5 months time?

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Forgot to add this one, It's a very small section (very very small ... it also has dream track if you are so inclined) of the Wynyard Freeride Park, it's very close to the bottom of the trails. I really wanted to ride this place, but with a trail bike, SPD's and a gigantic hangover, i chose to give it a miss.

Attachments

Last edited: