So I'm going to Canberra................

bmar560

Likes Dirt
They are across the road from each other
They are across the highway from each other, but different landscape altogether and different feel to it. Connected via a tunnel that goes under the highway.
Sparrow have slight more rocks.
Kowen is more "open" now after they did some thinning on the trees.
Make sure you ride "kowalski sideshow" downwards, keeps you on your toes(Kowen side)
Last time I was there I did the 25K loop at Kowen, stopped at the carpark have a drink and quite energy bar and did another 25K at Sparrow, you get best of both trails. There's a "trail buddy" app for iphone or android that you can buy for $10, very useful if you're new there, the signs at Kowen have been ripped up when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Favourite loops in Stromlo is loop 2,4 and 6.
Loop 2 is climb up quick and get down quick (includes Luge, skyline)
4 and 6 is longer and more climbing (pork barrel and double dissolution are the highlight trails)
Never tried loop 5 as I can't even get past the start of cardiac arrest :-(
Of course you can mix and match the loops, once you get a feel of them

Klips

Likes Dirt
My default, tick all the boxes without duplicating much loop: you could probably occupy around two hours (give or take breaks) with minimal trail duplication and fuck all fire road by going:
-Fenceline
-Cockatoo switchbacks
-blue gums
-bobby pin
-emu track
-ABC switchback
-city view
-red rock
-tall trees
-echidna junction
-western wedgetail
-pork barrel
-slick rock at the junction
-brindabella
-terminal velocity
-spin doctor
-shady's
-missing link
-double dissolution
-fire road up the hill to party line (because the top of party line is more fun than crim track/lower party line)
-party line (left at the bottom, not up the climb)
-dingo
-white gum
-ringtail
-bluetongue
-heartbreaker
-echidna (only repeat, I promise)
-rollercoaster
-skyline
-luge
-old duffy

I know that's a lot to remember, but that's what masking tape on the top tube is for. A lot of these are natural progressions, really the only ones you may need to look for are pork barrel, slick rock and bluetongue. It's a cracking bunch of tracks, so enjoy!

poita

Likes Dirt
My default, tick all the boxes without duplicating much loop: you could probably occupy around two hours (give or take breaks) with minimal trail duplication and fuck all fire road by going:
-Fenceline
-Cockatoo switchbacks
-blue gums
-bobby pin
-emu track
-ABC switchback
-city view
-red rock
-tall trees
-echidna junction
-western wedgetail
-pork barrel
-slick rock at the junction
-brindabella
-terminal velocity
-spin doctor
-shady's
-missing link
-double dissolution
-fire road up the hill to party line (because the top of party line is more fun than crim track/lower party line)
-party line (left at the bottom, not up the climb)
-dingo
-white gum
-ringtail
-bluetongue
-heartbreaker
-echidna (only repeat, I promise)
-rollercoaster
-skyline
-luge
-old duffy

I know that's a lot to remember, but that's what masking tape on the top tube is for. A lot of these are natural progressions, really the only ones you may need to look for are pork barrel, slick rock and bluetongue. It's a cracking bunch of tracks, so enjoy!
This is the truth, if you go full pelt at this loop you'd have to be mad not to be satisfied.

tony6463

Cannon Fodder
Try beer garden in Kowen as well. Heaps of riding there. Get the app as there are heaps of trails and all good riding. Plus I'm guessing the cost of the app goes towards the up keep of the trails. Paul Cole does an awesome job of maintaining them.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Have been following the soap opera that is the Bruce Ridge thread, and seen reference to Tuggeranong pines.

Should I add it to my riding list? What type of riding there?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I'd like to hit that too. I have no idea where it is, other than in Thuggranong.

Hope my shock is fixed and ready sooner than later.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
For stromlo, what Klips said!!

...but I always find myself trying to include northern express/little seymour, and the vapour DH flow trail. Don't know yet if there's an efficient way to add both into Klips' route!

tyres wise I run high roller 2 front, ardent race rear and mainly (well only these days) ride at Stromlo. But then, I ride with a bloke on crossmarks, and he seems to have no problems staying rubber side down at Stromlo, and I can't keep up with the bugger.

Have yet to ride tuggeranong pines or jerrabombera... a bit time poor since I've been here! but they do sound fun...

Klips

Likes Dirt
For stromlo, what Klips said!!

...but I always find myself trying to include northern express/little seymour, and the vapour DH flow trail. Don't know yet if there's an efficient way to add both into Klips' route!
If you don't mind fire trail (which defeats that list but whatever) you could ride Vapour, make the turn for G20 (love that bit) then when you make the crossing at the container hook a right after the two drop-offs, and ride back up the fire trail to the start of red rock which means you do that bit twice. In terms of Northern/Seymour, I don't rate them but if you love climbing/hate your life you could detour halfway up heartbreaker, go down them, skip the end of seymour and loop back onto bluetongue at the fire trail but that's seriously fucked or you're a gnarly xc rider, in which case G20 may hold less appeal.

tyres wise I run high roller 2 front, ardent race rear and mainly (well only these days) ride at Stromlo. But then, I ride with a bloke on crossmarks, and he seems to have no problems staying rubber side down at Stromlo, and I can't keep up with the bugger.
I normally run that combo (well, ardent rear) on my Sight 7.1 but today was borrowing a scale 910 HT and had a fine time on crossmarks, set a PR on double dissolution despite having never ridden it on a hardtail or a 29er before. I did crash a few times, but that's from muppetry rather than tyre selection. It was definitely a little bit looser than my normal combo but not out of its depth.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Ahh I'm a fire trail lover from ways back... living in Hobart for ages then FuckNowhere Victoria for three years meant it was all about fire trails... for climbing up anyway :D

yep, I'd have to agree that climbing bloody heartbreaker is not type 1 fun. nor is descending northern express or little seymour. Its more like 'training', so I apologise for bringing it up in civil conversation.

Vapour DH, though... yep. if you can work it, it's worth it. Even on an XC bike. berms.. big berms.. and fun.

Anyways, Pastavore/Dozer - Sunday is ride day. if you're up in the 'berra feel free to PM, I'd be happy to come out for a Klips' loop :)

clockworked

Like an orange
Hey are you going to be around canberra on thursday? I was thinking of driving down from Sydney for the day to hit up stromlo.
I'm on Uni holidays and in my course no one rides, and everyone else I know has real jobs, so I'm Nigel No-Friends this week.
Lemme know if you're keen to meet up, or anyone else too.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Got back to Melbrn last night. Very much enjoyed the riding in the National Capital, but unfortunately got nowhere near to completing my must ride list. Hmmm, need to plan another visit.

Was staying in Queanbeyan, so had about 4 trips out to Sparrow/Kowen. Rode a LOT of the trails, but pretty sure I didn't get them all. It's a XC rider paradise, if you like to get out and just ride for miles and miles. Nothing too steep, nothing too technical, just lot's of flowy goodness.

Had a few trips to stromlo as well, first was a disaster as my trye choice of a worn Racing Ralph on the front and a non-snakeskin ThunderBurt on the back was.........ill advised. 2 pinch flats in quick succession and ZERO grip was not good fun. The very friendly and helpful lady at Hammer and Cycle in Queanbeyan sold me an ardent race with sidewalls made of something stronger than the thunderburts, and this went on the front with the RR on the back. Subsequent trips to Stromlo were MUCH more satisfying, though I still managed another pinch flat. Yes yes, tubeless, I know, but the rims on the bike at the moment just won't play.

Travelling with extended family meant less opportunities to ride than I expected, but we really enjoyed our Canberra visit. Heaps to do for a cultural family holiday.

jp80

Likes Bikes
Kowen/Sparrow and Stromlo are the two to have a go at if thats all that time allows, so good call there.

PS - I don't mind little seymour! kind of scrappy like Jerra in places, and that tight left hander after step down really comes up fast, and its all so loose... its something a bit different, a hightened feeling of deperation for grip, which at Stromlo is saying a lot. Hard to ride fast.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not sure there is anything near Stromers, mate. Although, this is Canberra, nothing is far away.