So many trashed bikes around at the moment!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My sister lived in Amsterdam for a long time. She says no lock, combination of locks or anything else works. A good bike thief can boost your ride before you have your helmet off or even passed the first street corner. She says she has seen bikes stolen with the owner within 10m.

Seeing as we are quoting TV - The old angle grinder under the jacket trick - that's be the second time I've fallen for it this week!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably a bit sad sack but I forgot to add my little experience from Sandy Cape on the west coast of Tasmania. It may be a 2 hour 4WD in over desolate beaches and crossing the great rivers of west Tassie and there may have been no-one but us 5 for 50km, but I love my bike and chained it to a tree near the old stockman's hut we slept in. In the morning the boys who had lurked longer into the night had found what I did, probably while attempting to steal it. In the morning they announced it was lucky they didn't chainsaw the tree down and steal it. I know they meant it too.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I once saw a guy in the city trying to pinch a bike.
It was a hardtail chained to a no-standing sign and he was standing on a milk crate trying to slide it up and over the pole.

I had my helmet in my hand and he saw me approaching and did a runner. Must have thought it was mine.
A mate of mine also had his bike stolen from being chained to a street sign pole, but this time the pole was taken out of the ground and left laying on the footpath... Bike gone.

Don't chain your bike to a no standing pole!

I had a bike stolen from a cafe while I was sitting there eating my lunch. Grab and run.
I had another bike stolen from a stairwell in a secure building. The bastards actually cut through the steel bars of the stairwell to get it out undamaged.
Had another bike stolen from the front balcony of a two story building. God knows how they scaled up there and got it, but it wasn't chained up because it was on a TWO STORY BALCONY.
Had another stolen from leaning the bike up against the shop window, going in and getting the newspaper and when I came outside it was gone. 30 seconds.

All of my bikes were stolen in Wollongong. Junkies and kids.

I actually saw a kid who was about ten years old riding around on my 21.5" Trek hardtail, about a week after it was stolen. Spray painted black and minus the seat post. I tried chasing the little focker and he gave me the finger and rode into the housing estate in crown street. Lost him. Little turd.

Last edited:
I struggle to bring my bike into my office...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've heard about people lifting the sign out too, i never lock to open ended things like that.

On a lighter note, my mate had his bike locked to a pole and came out of work and found another bike locked up with his but they'd put their lock around his bike as well!:confused:

Exie

Likes Dirt
I had a bike stolen from a cafe while I was sitting there eating my lunch. Grab and run.
I had another bike stolen from a stairwell in a secure building. The bastards actually cut through the steel bars of the stairwell to get it out undamaged.
Had another bike stolen from the front balcony of a two story building. God knows how they scaled up there and got it, but it wasn't chained up because it was on a TWO STORY BALCONY.
Had another stolen from leaning the bike up against the shop window, going in and getting the newspaper and when I came outside it was gone. 30 seconds.

All of my bikes were stolen in Wollongong. Junkies and kids.
Damn! You are unlucky, or maybe your hang'n out in the wrong places!

Has anyone considered one of these:
https://www.ausbike.com.au/exhibitors/steal-proof-pty-ltd

Is it just a gimmic, or do you think it would deter some crims ?

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I bought about three of those alarm locks from a stall at the Round the bay in a day for about $ 30. They probably wouldnt be as hard to cut as they say but the siren is really noticeable and annoying

I bought about three of those alarm locks from a stall at the Round the bay in a day for about $ 30. They probably wouldnt be as hard to cut as they say but the siren is really noticeable and annoying

Yeah it says the siren is 100db in the video, to put that in perspective, big chainsaws are 90db...

WildWassa

Banned
... Even though my bike is insured, mine has strong sentimental value and a new one just wouldn't be the same ...
I had a brand new hardtail only a few rides old, that was stolen. My car was vandalised to get to the bike. The bike was dismantled inside the car to extract it.

Who ever stole my bike, actually did me a favour. At the time I was a tad disappointed and I hope who ever stole my bike shot up and overdosed from the proceeds of selling my bike.

Although an expensive bike, it was a pretty ordinary ride. My new bike is insured. She is a far finer ride ... but a bike is just a bike.

Warren.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
... Even though my bike is insured, mine has strong sentimental value and a new one just wouldn't be the same ...
I had a brand new hardtail only a few rides old, that was stolen. My car was vandalised to get to the bike. The bike was dismantled inside the car to remove it.

Who ever stole my bike, actually did me a favour. At the time I was disappointed. I hope who ever stole my bike overdosed from the sale of my bike.

Although an expensive bike, it was a pretty ordinary ride. My new bike is insured and is a much nicer ride.

Warren.

dktb

Squid
Do you have any pictures of the racks on the trains there?

I don't get a seat on the train if I've got the bike with me, I usually sit on it (downhill rims and tyres don't actually fit on the supplied racks on trains..). Still, a fullface helmet is plenty enough protection if someone tries to steal it.
if you can email them to me direct davidb@bv.com.au would be great.