Social Mountain Biking Clubs in or around Sydney

markusm

Likes Bikes
Hi Everyone,

I have wasted many a work hour searching the net looking for a social style MTB club around Sydney. I live in the Sth Western part of Sydney and dont mind travelling to a club but there just doesn't seem to be any around.

Northern Beaches (Nobmob) seemed to have a great one going but it appears its now inactive as no one has done anything in the Sub-Forum here for ages and the website is a little old and a bit un-informative (if thats a word)!

All i seem to find is more race type clubs but i'm just looking for a group that regularly gets out to a few of the trails and as i'm new to the scene going off into a trail by myself is a bit of a worry.

I see groups getting together on this Forum every now and then but it's a bit daunting to just join in with people you don't know especially if you are a bit of a novice! I've been riding road bikes for years but never really done any off road MTBing!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Nobmob isn't a club it's just a website where people can go and find info and hook up for rides try the calendar http://nobmob.com/rides/calendar
Similar thing is the watering hole here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-The-Watering-Hole

Try either, find a ride close to you and tag along or make your own ride meeting and see who turns up. Most people are happy for newbies to tag along. It's how most of us got started.

Edit: maybe by nobmob you meant the Manly Warringah MTB Club? They lost their xc track a while ago and so are without a main home

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is always Turramurra Off Road Cyclists

51 Saturday morning rides a year
50 Wednesday night Rides a Year
13 Sunday Rides a year

no races organised by the club

doesnt get much more social then that:)

markusm

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies so far.

The watering hole here still seems a little "Advanced" for me but some of the other ones mentioned seem better. I still would have thought there would be more around Sydney though.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies so far.

The watering hole here still seems a little "Advanced" for me but some of the other ones mentioned seem better. I still would have thought there would be more around Sydney though.
BMORC.com

Social group rides probably fortnightly with numbers rangeing from 3 to 15 riders, an advocacy side as well as just riding.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Just post a ride on NoBMoB or BMORC and others will follow you. If you want to visit Glenbrook, I'll go for a ride with you.

Chuck

jl.

Likes Bikes
Hi marcusm

I've just moved back to South West Sydney (Holsworthy) form Scotland. I've been looking for the same sort of riding. Where I was in Scotland there was very little with regards to racing and MTB'ing was almost entirely social.

I'll PM you and maybe we can get a few people together.
Jason

markusm

Likes Bikes
Small world!

I'm in Holsworthy too! It seems very hard to find this sort of thing around here, maybe i need to move to the norther beaches or the blue mountains!

Im really keen to try Appin, Loftus, Woronora dam etc.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just use watering hole and get your own thing going ... I pretty much met all my current crop of riding buddies on here.

Takes a bit of effort to organise shite initially, but becomes easier with time and when you get to know people.

I get around so feel free to PM or jump on some rides I frequent.

norgan

Likes Bikes
Sydney MTB Riders

Hi there! i also found this so i am putting together an club for Sydney MTB Riders.

The club is a registered non profit and we are looking for members to get started.

We would welcome any casual rides as this is our main goal in relation to riding and we also want to help raise awareness of MTB riding in and around Sydney CBD.

Check us out at http://sydneymtb.org or search us on facebook. :)

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
I wouldnt get too hung up on the "social" or "non racing" side of things. I have found the MTB fraternity to be incredibly friendly and helpful. I regularly attend WSMTB race days and whilst it is still a race, it is also just like riding with 120 of your closest friends.

Joobs

Cannon Fodder
Social Rides

Im keen to get back out there on the XC loftus or Royal National Park area.

Let me know of your next ride.

Thanks