soft forks?

shep8

Likes Bikes
hey guys, i have Marzocchi 2007 DJ4 forks, i tightened them up as tight i could to make them harder but they are still pretty soft.
dont get angry, but i think you can put air in the bottom of them but i dont want to do it because i may stuff it up any tips?

framd0

Likes Dirt
hey guys, i have Marzocchi 2007 DJ4 forks, i tightened them up as tight i could to make them harder but they are still pretty soft.
dont get angry, but i think you can put air in the bottom of them but i dont want to do it because i may stuff it up any tips?
yes.......
buy my forks

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy a new spring or increase the preload would probably be the easiest and cheapest options.

xristianos

Likes Bikes
i'm assuming changing the springs and getting a rebuild/seal kit for it would make it a bit stiffer if done correctly. i'm aware of new seal kits for around 50 but dunno about the new springs though.

this would be a cheaper option than having to buy new forks.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm assuming changing the springs and getting a rebuild/seal kit for it would make it a bit stiffer if done correctly. i'm aware of new seal kits for around 50 but dunno about the new springs though.

this would be a cheaper option than having to buy new forks.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Should just be able to buy the spring separate?

flying_w

Likes Dirt
I've got 07 DJ4s - they only have mechanical preload adjustment at the top of each leg using an allen key. There is no valve for adding air.

I couldn't find DJ4s listed in the Oil Level table on the Marzocchi website so I think nick_sixx is right - springs and grease only, so you can't increase the oil level or change to a heavier weight oil.

I stiffened mine up by undoing and removing the top caps and adding some spacers (washers) under the preload adjusters. I added one directly under the adjuster, the same size as the existing washer as there is room for it inside the plastic cap. I then added 2 more on top of the spring (in between the spring and the plastic cap) which are the same external diameter as the spring. It has certainly made a difference.

NOTE: You don't want to add to many spacers as you increase the chance of making the spring coil bound - this means the spring will completely compress before the forks bottom out. So far in my experience it has definitely been worth the $0 and 5 to 10 minutes it took to modify them.