VIC SOLD [MEL] S-Works carbon 170mm PF30 cranks with 24/38 chainrings in great condition

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Item: S-Works 170mm carbon PF30 cranks with SRAM 24/38 chainrings in excellent condition. No BB
Item Condition: roolly good
Reason for selling: Spare to my needs, bought in a bundle of stuff from EBay
Price and price conditions: $175
Extra Info: They are in really good condition with a removable spider. Only a couple of scratches on the clear stickon covers. Chainrings show very little use. ~575g weighed as shown with chainrings and spacers/seals
Pictures:

[URL=http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/kbekus/media/20140430_201454_zps42a8c473.jpg.html]

30mm spindle diameter

and ~92mm long, so does look like PF30.

I was wrong with my understanding of BB30 versus PF30 too - BB30 the bearings are inboard, PF30 the bearings are outboard like Hollowtech and GXP. So these cranks have the longer spindle suitable for PF30. I hope that clears it up?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
No BB supplied mate, so whichever GXP one tickles your fancy
Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear. Press fit BB's take a different sized axle. I THOUGHT gxp came in both threaded and Pressfit, but could be wrong.
Which WAS yours?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I thought GXP only defined the axle diameter and width, not the specific fastening method of the BB shell? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Giga-X-Pipe NFI.

I don't have the BB that this came with - I bought a box of stuff on EBay but only wanted the shifters and derailleurs, this is surplus. The seller stripped this all off his S-Works MTB as he was going 1x10, I'm not sure why he didn't just keep the cranks and put a chainring on like you do.... I think he bought a whole XX1 setup.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I thought GXP only defined the axle diameter and width, not the specific fastening method of the BB shell? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Giga-X-Pipe NFI.

I don't have the BB that this came with - I bought a box of stuff on EBay but only wanted the shifters and derailleurs, this is surplus. The seller stripped this all off his S-Works MTB as he was going 1x10, I'm not sure why he didn't just keep the cranks and put a chainring on like you do.... I think he bought a whole XX1 setup.
Hopefully someone will correct/me/clarify then. GXP axles are tapered, unlike shimano/Raceface X type, but I thought they came in various axle configurations, depending on whether press fit or threaded.
Did seller say what S works bike they came off?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I thought (too much / not enough thinking going on in this thread :) ) that all GXP BBs have outboard bearings which will impact the spindle length? PF30 and BB30 are both inboard bearings. I'll email the dude and find out, meanwhile can someone clarify? Press fit and threaded are both outboard bearing BBs and would have the same spindle length requirement? The only difference is how they mount into the frame?

I'll measure the distance between the crank arms tonight which may help.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It is highly unlikely these are GXP. My s-works cranks have a 30mm spindle and will only fit s-works frames with the "specialized" PF30 config (86mm??) or 68mm threaded BB with 30mm external BB cups. Great cranks but hard (impossible?) to use on anything other than s-works or 68mm BSA.

moorey

call me Mia
I have a suspicion that GXP axles don't change, whether press fit or threaded, therefore you are right. Its the sram BB30 that have larger axle.
Brains trust have usually howled me down by this time :behindsofa:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I'll measure the spindle and post up some details tonight, including weight.

Here's some more detail: http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1599-bottom-bracket-types Both these and Hollowtech use a 24mm spindle... however GXP uses a 'tapered' spindle. Not really tapered just that the non-drive side is only 22mm so is a different sized bearing, whereas Hollowtech is 24mm on both sides. I suspect the spindle length would be similar.

PF30 and BB30 are a different pair of beasts altogether with internal bearings and a 30mm spindle.

This is a pretty good description of the available choices: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bottom_Bracket_Standards_2573.html

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
hmm, maybe I should add this thread to the fuckwits thread? I just went back and checked the EBay listing... yep they are PF30 :tsk: Sorry all, I am an idiot. I have no idea why I had GXP in my head.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is highly unlikely these are GXP. My s-works cranks have a 30mm spindle and will only fit s-works frames with the "specialized" PF30 config (86mm??) or 68mm threaded BB with 30mm external BB cups. Great cranks but hard (impossible?) to use on anything other than s-works or 68mm BSA.
This - bolt is on the drive side => BB30 / PF30.
And Moorey is on the money - GXP is 24mm drive and 22mm non drive side, but is available in press fit and standard threaded config.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
details added people. 30mm spindle 92mm wide = PF30. Sorry all, I think I hit the limit of my capabilities yesterday just getting out of bed. Also 575 grams as pictured.