Sold

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are the jumps in the piccie built in the middle of / blocking a fire access trail ? If so, they could be a bit sensitive about prioritising access at the moment. Obviously I don't know the area but just a thought as to what may have been a recent driver for flattening the jumps.

Looks like a cool place offering different riding to most around and I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into building and trying to legitimise the trails. Modest of luck !

willsy01

Eats Squid
Are the jumps in the piccie built in the middle of / blocking a fire access trail ?
No, they're not. I stumbled upon them some time back......there are a few firetrails in the vicinity but the jumps didn't encroach on them at all. The water pipeline is close by but runs next to a publically accessible fire trail.

Are you sure it was Sydney Water that did the levelling?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Devil’s advocate….
From where I sit I can see 4m wide of native habitat that has been cleared of native vegetation and removal of topsoils, without consent. That’s pretty much what any decent land manager will see. They won’t see the awesomeness of your jumps and appreciate the hours of effort you went to construct them, or miles that anyone would travel to use them, they see destruction of the land and habitat that they are responsible for protecting. If I were to get caught doing this outside my farming property that borders state forest because I wanted to build a jumps track, fire break or whatever reason I would be taken to court for illegal clearing and destruction of habitat. Also, if it's water authority land then the penalties could be worse for disrupting vegetation, especially if it’s a water catchment area? ...Just saying.

I think you are on the right track getting support and trying to legalize the trails, but I think you should also do a bit more research on the land, what it's classified as (crown land, state forest, conservation area, catchment area ???) and who are the departments and organizations responsible for it, are there any local indigenous areas of significance or claims over the land or bodies responsible for what happens to it or on it, does the land manager have a management plan for the land, is there any issues/aspects that would prohibit this, when is it up for review, etc. That way you know the issues, the enemies and can prepare for the battle. Good luck with it. It wont be easy, but things that are truly worthwhile never are.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If it can be done legally then we all win. I signed the petition but was a bit pissed to see a Greenpeace story pop up on the following page. Those people are bloody muppets.

I hope it works out for you guys, I'd go apeshit if someone flattened my trails.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sydney Water is a difficult land manager as I understand it. They think everything is a pollution risk and are harder to deal with than national Parks. You may need to work on proving a lack of runoff etc

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Devil’s advocate….
From where I sit I can see 4m wide of native habitat that has been cleared of native vegetation and removal of topsoils, without consent. That’s pretty much what any decent land manager will see. They won’t see the awesomeness of your jumps and appreciate the hours of effort you went to construct them, or miles that anyone would travel to use them, they see destruction of the land and habitat that they are responsible for protecting. If I were to get caught doing this outside my farming property that borders state forest because I wanted to build a jumps track, fire break or whatever reason I would be taken to court for illegal clearing and destruction of habitat. Also, if it's water authority land then the penalties could be worse for disrupting vegetation, especially if it’s a water catchment area? ...Just saying.

I think you are on the right track getting support and trying to legalize the trails, but I think you should also do a bit more research on the land, what it's classified as (crown land, state forest, conservation area, catchment area ???) and who are the departments and organizations responsible for it, are there any local indigenous areas of significance or claims over the land or bodies responsible for what happens to it or on it, does the land manager have a management plan for the land, is there any issues/aspects that would prohibit this, when is it up for review, etc. That way you know the issues, the enemies and can prepare for the battle. Good luck with it. It wont be easy, but things that are truly worthwhile never are.
Fair points. But, as someone who's been pretty heavily involved in trying to get legal dirt jumps in Sydney, I reckon these guys have done pretty well. In the context of landowners, Sydney Water probably aren't among the worst (e.g. National Parks), and at least they've had somewhere to ride for the past while. And, never know, maybe something will come out of this yet....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Dear Mr Dozer I dont think you need to be critical of change .org + call them muppets.
It is just a vehicle for democratic change .I dont agree with all the issues either.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
.......... but was a bit pissed to see a Greenpeace story pop up on the following page. Those people are bloody muppets.
Dear Mr Dozer I dont think you need to be critical of change .org + call them muppets.
Why not? I've never seen Greenpeace do anything responsible and I figure anyone who supports their methods probably has a few roo's loose in their top paddock.
If I ran a website, I would would decline any application made by Greenpeace to advertise on my site. Their money (wherever it comes from) is not needed in my world.

willsy01

Eats Squid
What I found really typical in the article is the mention of the bmx race track they are building at the ridge.
It shows the people who are controlling our sport on the council end doesn't actually know what we do.

They don't seem to have knowledge it seems like they still see riding as bmx or xc and something kids do.

I could be wrong but it seems like from the council side there is massive lack of understanding.
In their defence, they are actually quite good. I'd put this one down to the reporter's lack of understanding. I'm involved with the trail building at Menai and whilst i've not had any dealings with council on a personal level, i'm reliably informed that a lot of the people involved ride bikes (MTB, not just roadies) and those that they've have consulted are all too aware of the different riding genres.

driftking

Wheel size expert
In their defence, they are actually quite good. I'd put this one down to the reporter's lack of understanding. I'm involved with the trail building at Menai and whilst i've not had any dealings with council on a personal level, i'm reliably informed that a lot of the people involved ride bikes (MTB, not just roadies) and those that they've have consulted are all too aware of the different riding genres.
Well that's good to hear.

Last edited: