sold

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am having trouble with water collecting in the BB shell of my 5.

Riding conditions are very wet atm for me & I have managed to spit out 3 sets of BB bearings recently due to water pooling in the shell. Looking for a practical way of draining this after washing that I have not considered.

I have been removing the plastic cap for the dropper cable but doesn't seem to be draining a lot of water. I expect the most effective way is to remove the seatpost, but I don't see this as practical after every ride.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
are there little plastic flanges either side of the bb bearings? How s so much water getting in do yo think. Is the bb lctite'd in?

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you know where the water is getting in to start with?
I replaced my cranks the other day on my SB5 and found that the two bolt holes for the ISCG mount were open into the shell of the frame. So I put two short M6 screws in them so it stopped water and grit getting in there.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you know where the water is getting in to start with?
I replaced my cranks the other day on my SB5 and found that the two bolt holes for the ISCG mount were open into the shell of the frame. So I put two short M6 screws in them so it stopped water and grit getting in there.
Yep, I did the same last year.

It seems to be an accumulation of small amounts of water getting in from having to wash the thing so thoroughly. Seat collar, headset, dunno, but it all ends up in the BB shell.