Soles wearing on flat pedal shoes

dan76n

Likes Bikes
I decided to give flat pedals a go so purchased a set of decent pedals and some Five Ten impact VXI flat pedal shoes.
I love riding flats and have learnt a lot from it but I’ve noticed the soles are wearing out pretty quick.
I’ve had them just under a year and clocked around 500ks in them.
The rest of the shoes are fine it’s just the soles are ripping up from the screws in the pedals.

How long do you all get out of your flat pedal shoes before the sole is gone?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
These are my Freerider VXI. I bought them second hand three + years ago, still grip fine. Not sure how many k's on them but I'd guess at least 1500 by me.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I smear shoo goo on the souls when they start to rip up. I like the grip better then actually and I’ve seemed to double the soles life

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've found the durability of 5 10 to vary wildly over the years (I've owned 4 pairs).

The original VXIs had good durability. The freerider 'contacts' were shocking. The latest freerider pro has held up very well for me.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I've found it really depends on the sole type as well as your pedal screw (as well as your riding style).

I had the S1 rubber impacts which were pretty shredded after a few months on saint pedals with the long screw. I then swapped to the Mi6 rubber impacts on catalyst pedals and they are still going ok a couple of years later.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My Freerider soles look better than that after 6 years...

Albeit a little flatter these days as they've recently been delegated to life as a work shoe and were replaced with some Northwave Tribe.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My Freerider soles look better than that after 6 years...

Albeit a little flatter these days as they've recently been delegated to life as a work shoe and were replaced with some Northwave Tribe.
It’s time for a new shoe. I was looking at the NW clan and Tribe shoes.
How do you rate em? And how is the sizing say compared to the Freeriders?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
It’s time for a new shoe. I was looking at the NW clan and Tribe shoes.
How do you rate em? And how is the sizing say compared to the Freeriders?
Tribes are good, nice and comfy.
Grip was a touch sketchy on the first ride being new rubber and stiff sole (VS. worn in Freeriders with flexible sole) but once worn in and a little dirty they've just gotten better and better. They look good off the bike as well, I have also used them while hiking and they're quite nice. Been using them since January with no issues.

I tried on the Clan and they felt a little tighter but probably because they have better arch support and it was just pushing into my foot a touch.

Clan also have a flat tread section on the sole for higher pedal grip, and a TPU shank there in the sole for increased stiffness. But will be less grippy off the bike.

As for sizing, I went with EU47 which is the same as my Freerider and the fit is perfect. They're slightly narrower shoes, but it's not an issue.

I also hear good things about the Afton Keegan or whatever it is.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep Aftons are good but take a little longer than 510 to break in but hoping they last longer- I found I needed 1/2 size bigger in afton over 510 but I’m a eu43

Jpez

Down on the left!
Tribes are good, nice and comfy.
Grip was a touch sketchy on the first ride being new rubber and stiff sole (VS. worn in Freeriders with flexible sole) but once worn in and a little dirty they've just gotten better and better. They look good off the bike as well, I have also used them while hiking and they're quite nice. Been using them since January with no issues.

I tried on the Clan and they felt a little tighter but probably because they have better arch support and it was just pushing into my foot a touch.

Clan also have a flat tread section on the sole for higher pedal grip, and a TPU shank there in the sole for increased stiffness. But will be less grippy off the bike.

As for sizing, I went with EU47 which is the same as my Freerider and the fit is perfect. They're slightly narrower shoes, but it's not an issue.

I also hear good things about the Afton Keegan or whatever it is.
Sweet thanks. Think I’ve made my choice. You’re in Melbourne right? Did you try them on somewhere local?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've got Aftons.
Definitely take a few rides /walks to break in.
But they're light and tough as nails!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk