Some assembly required...

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Yeah, so that whole COVID-19 thing was a touch annoying, made it rather difficult to source a frame... no stock left in Aus and none likely to get here until July at the earliest... I ended up purchasing a frame from an online shop in the USA and after a couple of hiccups and a 3 month wait at the LA US Postal Service warehouse it arrived a couple of days ago.

Turns out I might have a bit of work ahead of me.....best get to it. An idea had germinated in my mind late last year to ride the Munda Biddi trail this spring and yeah, sure I could have done it on one of the bikes I already owned, but pfff, where's the fun in that? So let's get a bikepacking bike built. I've gone for a Surly Karate Monkey because I really do prefer to ride MTB even if it's over a 1000km gravel grind. Specs as follows:

Frame - Surly Karate Monkey, wet clay, medium
Rear shock - ummm
Front shock/fork - Surly rigid, 15mm axle
Handlebars - Confucious somethingorother
Stem - not yet settled, I'll try a few. Ultimately hopefully a Thompson
Headset - Chris King slate grey
Grips - Ergo cork thingies
Saddle - Fabric scoop
Seatpost - Thompson
Front brake - XT
Rear brake -XT
Cranks - XT single chainring, 32 I think
Chainguide - nope
Chain - XT 12 speed
Pedals - dunno yet
Front derailleur - GTFOOH
Rear derailleur - XT
Front shifter - begone foul demon
Rear shifter - XT 12 speed
Cassette - XT 12 speed, 10-51
Front hub - SP PD8X dynamo hub
Rear hub - Hope 148mm boost microspline
Front rim - Raceface AC 35mm internal, 27.5"
Rear rim - Raceface ARC 35mm internal, 27.5"
Spokes - DT Swiss double butt
Nipples - DT Swiss 12mm
Tyres - Maxxis Chronicle 27.5x3.0
Tubes - liquid, gooey ones
Total weight - I'll tell you if I ever get this built.

so yeah. best get on with it then.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Keen to see this built up, should be a nice rig. I know little of plus-bikes, but is it typical to run a 35mm ID tyre on a 3.0" tyre? I'm sure they will mount up and work, but it's a narrower rim than I anticipated...

Love that colour by the way! Suits the Surly's no fuss attitude.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Yeah I think a 35mm internal width is probably at the lower end... possibly should have gone 40mm. The reason I went 35mm was that I don't ever think I'll go bigger than a 3.0 tyre and might even try a 2.8 on the rear if I can be bothered.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I'm running 40's for my 2.8's. Threw a 2.6 minion ss on, just to see if I could. It runs great, doesn't square off too much, which is what I was anticipating.

You will have a lovely, plush rear with the 3.0.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Update, I thought I'd have had more of it done by now... story of my life :)

Used the wrong tool to press in the top steerer bearing cup :mad:, bearing is now a tiny bit crunchy.... I also totally overlooked the need to order brake adapters... who on earth makes a frame in 2020 with IS fit points?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Holy shit even I'm impressed at how good of a procrastinator I am, but I finally finished putting this together this morning... cut the brake lines and hooked them up then bled them (wow I wish I'd learned years ago that the syringes with the red plunger seals are for mineral oil)... checked that all bolts were tight enough then took it for a spin around the block to bed the brakes and check things out. It feels a bit weird riding on these 3.0 tyres at 18psi and I need to go for a decent ride to tune the bar and seat heights, but yeah, it's done. Time to change the thread title to "Don't come knocking, I'm spanking the Monkey"

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The rough cost breakdown of the project was something like this:

Frame: medium Karate Monkey frame from Pro-Bike USA. ~$1450 landed
Groupset: XT 1x12 speed from Merlin UK: ~$1000 shipped
everything else: from a combo of Bike-Components.de and Bike24, all up about $1200 shipped

not bad given Commuter Cycles have their SLX Monkey for $4200 even they even have stock (I don't think they do). I enjoyed the build but should really add my self to the f-wit thread for using the wrong die when pressing the top steering cup - I put pressure on the bearing rather than the cup and it's a tiny bit notchy now... I'll likely punch it out and send it away to get the bearing replaced when I can be fucked. I also managed to assemble the cassette incorrectly on the hub and only noticed when shifting into certain gears wasn't good.... there are 2 spacers in the XT cassette and they're different thicknesses therefore are not interchangeable. booo.

I had the SP PD8-X on hand from a previous bike, I'll also re-use a K-lite front light. Now to sort out bags and maybe try an overnight trip...