Sooo - I want an E-Bike

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I ride 3 times a week trail for around 90kms of trail and around 1200m elevation ( 2 x 90 minutes ish and 1 x 3 - 3.5hr ) I also usually do 2 x 5km run / walk a week and 2 x 30mins rowing.
It really is just the slightly longer pinch climbs that I get trouble with.

I fully understand the train harder ethos and lose weight and just do it - but I’m tired all the time - just want to not be pushing all the time :)
That's a pretty good effort! It's not like you're doing 20km a week on flat trails. Might be wear and tear then like you say. I certainly feel it more than I used to. I now pay for my fun in my lower back.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m with you , just get one .
2 years in , I’m glad I did .- gave me New Legs , and new reasons to ride , has taken me , made me go to places to ride .

but I do agree with some of the comments regarding stock and lastest version of eitheir motors / software etc .
i personally would wait for the 2021 bikes to come on stream and the supply chains to stabilise .

also , I still have my Fatbike , still have a 3 speed cruiser thing , still have a 1980’s roady .
realistically I i only really ride the Ebike and my FatBoy - cos I’m actually 12 yrs old ,and Fatboys are just ridiculous !

You will ride harder and faster , and make time to just go for an hour or so - so if time poor they work well .
Can fit in a ride around other stuff .
Hills are still ‘ hilly’ but give you something to ride as hard as you can at your limit - mine is about 178bpm ........
You can make yourself vomit if you like that sort of thing .

just had a peak at my strrraaaaaava for Oct - 163km ,2587m of vert, 10.5 hrs .

dunno if good , bad or indifferent - I haven’t ridden at all in Nov- other stuff has got in the way

Attachments

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just want somewhere to throw around some discussion points regarding an E-Bike.
I am sure part of the reasoning process around the e-bike and the justification process are helping to exaggerate the issues I am actually having.
Current real or perceived issues include sore knees ( a more recent ongoing development ) I have found they ache a little more after rides than they were before ( however my road rides that feature fuck all elevation and no pinch climbs leave no knee issues at all) - Quads muscle fatigue I take a few more days to recover than I used to - issues with pinch climbs in a couple of locations now I walk as even in the lowest gear I just can’t push and if I do manage to push I get a slipping back wheel and with no momentum I have actually fallen off more times recently going up hills

I feel being able to carry momentum into the climb with the pedal assist will fix this.

Biggest hurdle to my though process is justifying spending money on an e-bike when I have the virtually new Ripley - the Ripley is an amazing bike but it doesn’t address my up struggles

If I sold the Ripley then maybe I wouldn’t feel as conflicted having that and an ebike?

Any ideas thoughts etc all welcome ta!
I just turned 40 and wanted one but couldn't afford to have both and so sold my normal bike to get an ebike. It make me ride so much more and have nearly done 1000km in 4 months and reckon it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. During the week I can ride or walk to work and get fitness that way so, for me, the ebike was about having more fun on the weekends yet still have energy to do something with the family after. Personally I find climbing boring (particularly fire trails) and just a grind that saps energy that I would prefer to put into riding down which I find more challenging and want to get better at.

It is still a workout and I sweat a lot but it definitely isn't the same workout as a normal mtb. I would compare it to riding a road bike because you are constantly spinning and don't need to stop to rest before riding the downs. I can do about the same distance in the same time but the motor just takes out the elevation. Because I can do a lot more downs it feels like I am doing a heap more squats and I notice my upper body strength in shoulders and arms has increased more.

I find the bike weight is mainly noticable getting the bike on and off the car, otherwise I dont notice it that much on the rides. Sure you cant just launch off trail features but it still feels and handles like a bike. Hitting motor drag at 25km/h is probably the worst part and makes it difficult for me to feel comfortable with jumps but that's just another trade off.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride 3 times a week trail for around 90kms of trail and around 1200m elevation ( 2 x 90 minutes ish and 1 x 3 - 3.5hr ) I also usually do 2 x 5km run / walk a week and 2 x 30mins rowing.

I fully understand the train harder ethos and lose weight and just do it - but I’m tired all the time - just want to not be pushing all the time :)
I'd have been supportive of a training regime to get results, but hearing that workload on an average week it may be you need to cutback. Possibly overtraining is hampering progress.

And when new bike fever strikes, there's precious little that will slake that thirst.

I'd recommend getting the E-bike you want but know you'll likely rinse dollars when you sell the Ripley, as well as when you purchase the E-bike.

Additionally, it'll get superceded very quickly.

I've been getting molested by ebikers on climbs recently. It's looking more attractive to join them of late.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Might be too much dude, especially if you have built up fatigue. The running certainly takes it out of the thighs for a solid couple of days for me also.

If it’s the short efforts you’re struggling with like pinch climbs the maybe cut back the volume for a while and really hammer some of those hills a couple of days a week, if that’s your goal. If not, then just ride/run/row for whatever makes it interesting/fun.

slowmick

38-39"
I recently got back to my local hill climb. my fitness is shot an what used to take an hour now takes an hour and half. At my best I could do it in about 45minutes. it's a around a 400m climb. I was passed on the way up by a bloke on an e-trance - he was on his 4th lap of the hill after an hour and 20. He was still fresh and disappeared quickly.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I recently got back to my local hill climb. my fitness is shot an what used to take an hour now takes an hour and half. At my best I could do it in about 45minutes. it's a around a 400m climb. I was passed on the way up by a bloke on an e-trance - he was on his 4th lap of the hill after an hour and 20. He was still fresh and disappeared quickly.
That's like climbing Mt Everest on a jet pack. Sure you get to see the view from the top but the climb itself, the hardship, the struggle, is part of the experience.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I actually haven’t 100% - I have always exercised and still struggle a little with changing to assist over just grind it - I am 51 shortly too - some stuff is just wearing out :)
We are the same age, use it or lose it.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I’m 63 and for mountain bike, I will pedal up the hills for as long as I can. I’m reasonably broken, lots of injuries, but feel that the climbs are staving off the decline.

If I want to go faster, I’ll go for a scoot on one of my motor bikes. Like actually much faster than any frickin ebike.