Giant Trance E+ Pro - With Upgrades

Minlak

custom titis
Wasn't game to post in PYR thread as it seems to be a very emotive subject - Pretty much after Dozer's comments I decided why am I waiting? I did a bit more research and actually like the way the Yamaha is integrated into the Giant range and when pricing came down to it the Giant had a pretty good spec for the relative price and I don't think I would need to upgrade anything. I was originally looking at cheaper options but they seemed to all feature Sram running gear and I don't think it is as nice as the Shimano 12spd stuff. So quick trip to the Giant dealer who had this in stock on floor ready to go and well here we are.
First impressions from a car park ride and shock set up at the shop :- Damn its heavy - probably heavier than I actually expected even knowing the weights and expecting it to be heavy. However the heaviness is only felt when holding the bike and trying to lift it as soon as you put momentum into the equation it feels like any other bike except faster. It moves so easily and that is exactly what I wanted.

Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 1
Frame
- ALUXX SL grade aluminium, Maestro 140mm travel w/flip chip, Boost, ISCG 05
Motor - Giant SyncDrive Pro, powered by YAMAHA
Sensors - Giant PedalPlus 6-sensor technology
Display - Giant RideControl Ergo
Battery - Giant EnergyPak 625, 36V integrated Lithium-Ion
Rear shock - Fox DPX2 Performance, 3 position lever, Trunnion mount
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 Float Performance Elite, FIT4 Damper, 3 position lever, 15x110mm Axle, OverDrive steerer, 150mm travel, Boost
Handlebars - Giant Contact trail rise, 35mm RaceFace Atlas 35mm 760mm
Stem
- Giant Contact SL, 35mm, 8 degree
Grips - Giant something Oury Lock On
Saddle - Giant Romero
Seatpost - Giant Contact Switch dropper, 30.9mm
Front brake - Shimano XT Trail hydraulic disc, (4 Pot) - Hope 203mm Floating Rotor
Rear brake
- Shimano XT Trail hydraulic disc, (4 Pot) - Hope 203mm Floating Rotor
Cranks
- Praxis e-Cadet+, 36T Hope E-Bike 165mm - RaceFace 36T Chainring
Chainguide
- MRP 1X V3 chain guide
Chain - KMX e12 Turbo Sram EX1
Pedals
- Shimano XT Clipless RaceFace Atlas Flat
Rear derailleur
- Shimano XTR Shadow+ Sram EX1 8spd
Rear shifter
- Shimano XT, 12sp Sram EX1 8spd
Cassette
- Shimano SLX, 10-51T, 12sp Sram EX1 8spd
Front hub
- Giant eTR1, 28H Hope Pro 4
Rear hub - Giant eTR1, 28H Hope Pro 4
Front rim
- Giant eTR1, DBL, WheelSystem, 28H Hope Fortus 30 32H
Rear rim
- Giant eTR1, DBL, WheelSystem, 28H Hope Fortus 30 32H
Spokes
- Giant eTR1 DBL
Tyres - Fr: Maxxis Assegai TR, 3C MaxxTerra, EXO, Folding, 29x2.6” / Rr: Maxxis Dissector TR, 3C MaxxTerra, EXO+, Folding, 29x2.6”
Tubes - Yes for now - Comes with tubeless valves but not installed Tubeless
Total weight
- 22kg

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
What's that clear plastic thing? A solar panel?

View attachment 369182

Props dude. I don't want an e-bike but good on you for doing what you want.
Ride report when ready too.
It still has front and rear reflectors on too :) Legally they have to have them on to meet Aus standards - Lol he was gunna cut off but I forgot - Will get it when I set it up tubeless.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Why do they keep selling 28h boost wheel sets? Particularly on a 22kg ebike.

Nice bike, colour scheme doesn’t remind me of a Giant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Giant Trance e+1 (2019) came with 32F/28R?
it is actually at the shop right now, hopefully being repaired under warranty, as I blew the rear hub up on sunday!
but yeah, 28 anything doesn't really make sense to me in any application!
PS, welcome to the charging room!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Very nice @Minlak !

28h is a strange thing on MTBs and especially on ebikes, you break 1 spoke and the wheels gets a decent wobble on. Usually driving the wide tyre to rub the chainstay.

I have a older set of Enve XC 28h wheels, ended up de-tensioning them as 1 broken spoke ended the ride with the wheel jammed against the stay.

They should be good as long as they are not highly strung.

Minlak

custom titis
I asked the shop dude exactly this as the lesser models have 32h and he said these are a really strong wheel set - I would have preferred 32h but hey good item to upgrade next week :)

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Giant Trance e+1 (2019) came with 32F/28R?
it is actually at the shop right now, hopefully being repaired under warranty, as I blew the rear hub up on sunday!
but yeah, 28 anything doesn't really make sense to me in any application!
PS, welcome to the charging room!
If , possible upgrade to Dt Swiss - it has made a world of difference to my Trek .

Jimmy the bike shop dude said these will be stiffer , stronger and roll faster - pffffft i said , but he was right !
now I need to upgrade the front to matchy matchy.

Minlak

custom titis
If , possible upgrade to Dt Swiss - it has made a world of difference to my Trek .

Jimmy the bike shop dude said these will be stiffer , stronger and roll faster - pffffft i said , but he was right !
now I need to upgrade the front to matchy matchy.
I’m a fan of DT Swiss :)
Andy is my bike shop dude - he knows me well enough not to shit me - he was actually just about to make the bike I bought his new “demo” bike :) now he can’t.

ozzybmx

I asked the shop dude exactly this as the lesser models have 32h and he said these are a really strong wheel set - I would have preferred 32h but hey good item to upgrade next week :)
Not sure of the spec but the missus has a Full E1 Pro from about 2017ish, went over the bars on gravel at Derby.

Done $700 of damage to that speed controller/buttons on the left and the screen, move it down and out of the line of fire if you can.

You'll probably only need it to set the power and turn the bike off.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome, you will love it. Mate has the trance sx pro which has a coil out the back and it is fantastic so would highly recommend upgrading to it. Also, I’ve got and ebike pyr already and people are fine with it so feel free to move it there.

Minlak

custom titis
Not sure of the spec but the missus has a Full E1 Pro from about 2017ish, went over the bars on gravel at Derby.

Done $700 of damage to that speed controller/buttons on the left and the screen, move it down and out of the line of fire if you can.

You'll probably only need it to set the power and turn the bike off.
No screen on this one - but you are spot on with the controller - with the new auto mode for power assist I will pretty much turn it on and ride and turn it off not much need to mess with it on the ride.

One thing I did notice is the seat is stupid high from the ground due to such a high bottom bracket to improve clearance. I was actually using the dropper at the shop to get on and off the bike lol.

Got the wind sock for the GoPro planning a video on it by the end of the weekend.

ozzybmx

No screen on this one - but you are spot on with the controller - with the new auto mode for power assist I will pretty much turn it on and ride and turn it off not much need to mess with it on the ride.
Spin it down out of the way, so its not the first thing touching the ground if you flip the bike upside down. That will keep it safe... $300 to replace IIRC, you don't get the alu surround either, its still got scores :rolleyes:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Spin it down out of the way, so its not the first thing touching the ground if you flip the bike upside down. That will keep it safe... $300 to replace IIRC, you don't get the alu surround either, its still got scores :rolleyes:
I shudder to think what those stupid big Shimano or Bosch units are worth if you KO it in a crash?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a really nice looking bike!
I'm assuming most of the weight for an e-bike is around the downtube, so it's still easy enough to lift the front wheel to clear stuff?