VIC Southern Exposure Surfcoast 100

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Southern Exposure Surfcoast 100 is on in a few weeks, i believe this was formally known as the Southern Exposure MTB Festival in past years having run 12hr and 24hrs from what I can gather (wasn't in Vic at the time so not sure).

http://www.surfcoast100.com.au/

Anyone signed up yet, or thinking about it at least?

Anyone been to their previous events, did they put on a good event?

Was thinking of doing the 100km myself, but not sure if what the trails around Anglesea offer.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The Southern Exposure Surfcoast 100 is on in a few weeks, i believe this was formally known as the Southern Exposure MTB Festival in past years having run 12hr and 24hrs from what I can gather (wasn't in Vic at the time so not sure).

http://www.surfcoast100.com.au/

Anyone signed up yet, or thinking about it at least?

Anyone been to their previous events, did they put on a good event?

Was thinking of doing the 100km myself, but not sure if what the trails around Anglesea offer.
Did it a few years ago when it was a 3/6/12 hour event. Track is pretty good. Nothing super technical, but definitely requires some level of fitness to keep going. Entry fees got a bit steep which put a few people off, however I can say the prizes were pretty good (wife won one of the races and got a watch worth $300 and $150 cash!).

I would race it this year but lacking car down to Anglesea that weekend ........

Got to agree with the pricing. I had already committed to a mate that I would be doing it but wow - $110 for 50km. This will be my first and last Surf Coast.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Got to agree with the pricing. I had already committed to a mate that I would be doing it but wow - $110 for 50km. This will be my first and last Surf Coast.
Seems to be the going price these days....
50km Otway Shorty = $108
Half Kowalski (raced last month) was $110
The Half-Fling is $110

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah still thinking about this one! I'm not working at the moment so the price is a little off putting, add to that you need to be self sufficient food/water wise... I think it's time races started demanding that feed zones at these events are stocked with goodies so we at least get some value for money - event organizers do it in North America / Europe why cant it happen here!

To put it into perspective... The Wombat 24hr is only $135 for solo (less per person in a team).

akashra

Eats Squid
The problem is that other events have been used to justify the continued increase in prices of the SuftCoast. First year it ran it was from memory $60 per person, which at $10 more than the VES rounds wasn't out of the question. But then each year it went up a bit, by either $5 or $10, while the event continued to get popular. The first few years it was fine though, you could still get a pit area. But by about the third year you had to get there at 10am to get a spot for your marquee, and the then more recently, well, forget it. You were paying $95 to go to an event which was so over-subscribed you couldn't even put your stuff anywhere. So in that final year numbers were down, and it's now a Marathon.

And that's all fine, people like Marathons - but with that there's been yet another price hike. So in six(?) years it's gone from $60 in which I rode I think just under 125kms in the 6hr, to $130 for the 100km race, which is a 4x25km anyway.

I don't get it. Actually, I don't get the justification in the 50km being a different price to the 100 either.

As said above, yeah, if it were a full-catered event - which BHE do well, sure, that might justify it a little bit. But I just don't get the justification here. I think one has to come before the other, and SoftCoast might have a bit of a way to go first before I can agree to seeing the value in $135 for this event.

So I'll be at Erica instead.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
My gang (approx 10 riders) has supported the Surf Coast 12hr for years, often a highlight of our year. I never begrudged the organisers the entry fee. Building a bridge, a great course well managed and one of the most enjoyable transition vibes going around, not to mention great camping which supports the local scouts. However - a 100km marathon, or even the pairs race just doesn't have the same appeal. They are nice trails, but I've gotta be honest, not that nice. A marathon which starts late in the day so that the pros will be finished long before sunset, while the punters are plodding in while everyone else has packed up to go home doesn't work for me. Judging by the tone of the email I got today I get the impression numbers are a bit thin. It's a pity. The 3/6/12 hour format was unique offering something for everyone, and apart from too many categories causing endless presentations it was a really great little race.

There are so many potential races to enter these days, the pressure is going to be on organisers to make it special.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yeah still thinking about this one! I'm not working at the moment so the price is a little off putting, add to that you need to be self sufficient food/water wise... I think it's time races started demanding that feed zones at these events are stocked with goodies so we at least get some value for money - event organizers do it in North America / Europe why cant it happen here!

To put it into perspective... The Wombat 24hr is only $135 for solo (less per person in a team).
Fully catered feed zones have been done in Australia and done brilliantly. Capital Punishment in Canberra and the Marathon champs at Avoca are two that come to mind. From memory both were less $ than this byo event.
I'll be at Erica.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fully catered feed zones have been done in Australia and done brilliantly. Capital Punishment in Canberra and the Marathon champs at Avoca are two that come to mind. From memory both were less $ than this byo event.
I knew the Marathon champs at Avoca had stocked feed zones but that is all that come to mind at the time.

Still... Organizers, stop being tightarses!!!

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Brackenbury 50km $35

Doing the brackenbury 50km race in Creswick tomorrow. I did the 25km last year and it was a small community based event, reminded me of FTF races of the mid 80's. Great local burgers and sausages at the finish, free If I remember correctly. Still some great value racing if you look past the big events.

akashra

Eats Squid
They shouldn't be doing that anyway, Marty. Always bugs me when I go to get in my car and someone has annoying left advertising under a wiper. Worse is when it's rained between when they left it and you take off, you go to clear the windscreen before seeing it, and yay, now you have papier mâché all over your windscreen.

Dunno why you've nerfed the comment though, it's deserved.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Have to be honest and say that the cost of this event is why I havent entered, I love the trails in this area and ride them often. my question would be....Does any of the entry fee get directed back towards trail maintenance?

adz

Likes Dirt
Hi my name is average rider

Every second year i get a new MTB and pay between 3000 - 5000 bucks

I also have a road bike that i paid between 3000 - 5000 bucks for...I turn this over every couple of years as well.

My SPD shoes cost me 300+

My roady shoes cost???

My helmet same

plus pump, lycra, sunnys $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I go on farkin with my 2000 buck + apple lap top

I have never written a letter to Giant, Specialized, Trek, Giro, Fox, Scott, On-One, Oppy, Apple complaining that their gear is to expensive. Or questioning their right to make a living out of providing a product. I just buy it, or i dont.

But i am more than happy to whine about paying couple of hundred bucks for a fun race down at the beach...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I also have a road bike that i paid between 3000 - 5000 bucks for...I turn this over every couple of years as well.

My roady shoes cost???

My helmet same

I have never written a letter to Giant, Specialized, Trek, Giro, Fox, Scott, On-One, Oppy, Apple complaining that their gear is to expensive. Or questioning their right to make a living out of providing a product. I just buy it, or i dont.

But i am more than happy to whine about paying couple of hundred bucks for a fun race down at the beach...
Adz I think you may be missing the point a little (while you do have some good points)... The above listed items are material possessions, they will always have some worth or value (except the Giant); the organizer of this event is charging $130 to ride trails that are for the most part accessible any day of the week.

I understand it is expensive to coordinate and run events as I have a friend involved in the organizing of the Wombat 24hr, however I am questioning the "value" of this event given that it's effectively a 4 to 6hr race, the organizers appear to be providing very little by way of kit, or even stocked feed zones and it's questionable as to whether or not any of the money goes back into the local trail network. :tsk:

quiggs

Likes Dirt

My roady shoes cost???

My helmet same

You forgot to include your Time Trial Bike!

mmatrix

Likes Dirt

My roady shoes cost???

My helmet same

Dear Apple, Giant , Rocky mt, fox, giro, sidi and the organises of the surf coast race , Ottway and festival. Your prices are TOO high, please reduce your prices.
thanks.
Average rider.
Done.

Last edited: