Southern Sydney newbie

Scott2227

Squid
G’day all,

I’ve just started riding during the current Sydney lockdown because the golf club I play at is more than 5km from home and outside my LGA.

Neighbour took me out around Grays Point and Loftus and I liked his son’s Cannondale Trail SE3 that I rode so I went and bought the same and have been getting out three or so times a week for the past four weeks or so.

It’s quite humbling to be a genuine beginner at something for the first time in 20 years (I’m late 30s) but leg strength from the gym has made up for the devastating lack of riding ability enough that I still love every ride (I went for three in one day last week!).

The MTB riders I encounter out around Loftus and Mill Creek have all been incredibly welcoming and helpful. Seems like a really good community.

Looking forward to learning some things here.

cheers,
Scott

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Golf to bike transition? Did you consider getting a yeti?

Welcome aboard and congratulations on trying something new!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Check out mill creek, park at the entrance to menia tip, ride down the entry road and turn right at the fork. Follow the fire road untill you hit a sign with a trail map.
Sign posted trails, will be abit different to natio but no walkers.

We’re in a pretty good area for mtb. It’s a shame it took you this long!

never mind you already know mill creek ahaha.
Teach me to skim read!

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Welcome!

Yeah @Ultra Lord is bang on with Mill Ck. It is good, and well maintained. Also good are Loftus, Heathcote, Engadine, Woronora Heights. But all those are harder to find your way around without a local guide or checking maps on every corner. And all are more bushy less maintained trails.

Rode some Loftus classics today myself for the first time in ages (Bobcats / Even flow).

Once LGA restrictions stop I'm heading back down to Helensburgh again. Some good stuff down there too.

Scott2227

Squid
Check out mill creek, park at the entrance to menia tip, ride down the entry road and turn right at the fork. Follow the fire road untill you hit a sign with a trail map.
Sign posted trails, will be abit different to natio but no walkers.

We’re in a pretty good area for mtb. It’s a shame it took you this long!
I’ve been out there a couple of times, enjoy the variety of it vs Loftus and also the signposting. Though with a lot of those trails being one-way. I misread Trailforks last time I went, ended up over near Heathcote Rd at the top of a trail called Pump Action and lost a fair bit of bark trying to get down!

Ultra Lord

Welcome!

Yeah @Ultra Lord is bang on with Mill Ck. It is good, and well maintained. Also good are Loftus, Heathcote, Engadine, Woronora Heights. But all those are harder to find your way around without a local guide or checking maps on every corner. And all are more bushy less maintained trails.

Rode some Loftus classics today myself for the first time in ages (Bobcats / Even flow).

Once LGA restrictions stop I'm heading back down to Helensburgh again. Some good stuff down there too.
Back of heathcote is awesome.

Recently found some single out behind the ridge soccer fields that isn’t moto trail, and not the old freeride stuff. Worth going for an explore there. Hard xc maybe? Similiar to bobcats. Tight, techy, undulating goodness.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Welcome Scott.

And don't worry - you're probably on the low end of the average age on here!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Recently found some single out behind the ridge soccer fields that isn’t moto trail, and not the old freeride stuff.
Wicked wallaby? That track is so much fun. Needed a good take and a few sets of secateurs last time I was out there.

Ultra Lord

Wicked wallaby? That track is so much fun. Needed a good take and a few sets of secateurs last time I was out there.
Possibly?
Ducked through the fence and hooked a right. Followed it around, and took another right instead of going to the old freeride spot.

Didn't see any sign and I don’t strava so no idea what it might’ve been called. Stoked I found it though. Really awesome loop.