Space bar not working when replying?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Howdy guys and girls,
I came across an issue recently using Google Chrome that meant whenever I replied to a private message or replied to a thread that my space bar did not work. It is something that's upset that format in a recent Google Chrome update but there is a way around it if you come across the issue. Lets say you're replying to a quote; you start your reply with the cursor as the very next character after the bracket ending the quote and press "enter". This actuates your reply and you can type away with your space bar operating correctly.
Yep, it's odd and I haven't seen it on any other browser.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Howdy guys and girls,
I came across an issue recently using Google Chrome that meant whenever I replied to a private message or replied to a thread that my space bar did not work. It is something that's upset that format in a recent Google Chrome update but there is a way around it if you come across the issue. Lets say you're replying to a quote; you start your reply with the cursor as the very next character after the bracket ending the quote and press "enter". This actuates your reply and you can type away with your space bar operating correctly.
Yep, it's odd and I haven't seen it on any other browser.
Speak to hellyeah, he-appears-to-have-some-experience-with-this-sort-of-thing.

#hyphen

scblack

Leucocholic
I've sometimes had a similar issue, not same though. If I type a sentence and have to go back and add a word, the added letters chew up the letters after my typing. If I type a four letter word, the next four letters disappear - the letters do not insert into the sentence, but write over next letters. Nothing I can find on my keyboard is causing this. Only happens occasionally, and looks to be a Vbulletin forum issue as AusAmarok.com.au use the same forum software and I once had the same problem there.

I'm using Internet Explorer.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
I've sometimes had a similar issue, not same though. If I type a sentence and have to go back and add a word, the added letters chew up the letters after my typing. If I type a four letter word, the next four letters disappear - the letters do not insert into the sentence, but write over next letters. Nothing I can find on my keyboard is causing this. Only happens occasionally, and looks to be a Vbulletin forum issue as AusAmarok.com.au use the same forum software and I once had the same problem there.

I'm using Internet Explorer.
The Insert Function on a Keyboard does this....

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Oh, the irony, had to use the enter trick in this post.

It's a known bug with Chrome (might even be Chrome on Windows IIRC) from a certain version on and the vBulletin software. Most commonly it's encountered with the reply to post function. vBulletin know about the issue but they don't want to fix it.

Nothing I can find on my keyboard is causing this.
The Insert Function on a Keyboard does this....
kl3ggy's on the money, the insert key (ins) between pause break and delete switches between insert and overwrite. This used to be my bain in Word, now (version 2010) the key does nothing which is rather annoying, I frequently use overwrite in text editors.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This very bug showed up last night on the Android tablet...sadly this was before Dozer's advice was posted so I had a little whinge and a tantrum instead of doing something productive.

moorey

call me Mia
Back on topic. I still have the space bar issue on PC. Only way around it is to type a word, press enter, and start again next line. Works after that. :noidea:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Back on topic. I still have the space bar issue on PC. Only way around it is to type a word, press enter, and start again next line. Works after that. :noidea:
Hyphens-are-your-friend.

What're you doing on a pc? Is the world about to end?

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt