SPD shoe fit guide?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Hey kids,
Anyone have a rough guide as to how different brands of SPD shoes actually fit? Had some SPDs in the early 'noughties but have been on flats since.

I have medium-wide forefeet but reasonably narrow heels FWIW.

I need some shoes for the SDBC this year. So, efficiency and ventilation are priorities. If anyone has specific recommendations that would be grand.

I've been looking at the websites of some Brissy retailers but there's not a great selection compared to online.

Minlak

custom titis
I just did the rounds looking for MTB shoes in Brisbane this week. There is not a lot of range and most shops have the same range in each store low to mid range pricing in popular sizes and very little stock. I have wide feet and always find Shimano shoes end up giving me a sore little toe after a short time wearing them. This seems to be an issue as there is always a seam or a doubled over bit just where my toe is. I am currently using 2yr old Scotts and whilst they are still perfect I was just hoping to get a new pair of something and wanted to try shoes on. Sadly as mentioned I found it difficult to see much of a range and the shops I went to if they had stuff they didn't have them in size 48. 99 Bikes had the best range but each shop is hit and miss with stock and sizes. For the Riders as always (The only place I buy parts in Brisbane BTW) had great service but a minimal range. You can't really blame the shops with so much competition online but if I did find shoes at a shop I buy at the shop not then head online for cheaper.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I just did the rounds looking for MTB shoes in Brisbane this week. There is not a lot of range and most shops have the same range in each store low to mid range pricing in popular sizes and very little stock. I have wide feet and always find Shimano shoes end up giving me a sore little toe after a short time wearing them. This seems to be an issue as there is always a seam or a doubled over bit just where my toe is. I am currently using 2yr old Scotts and whilst they are still perfect I was just hoping to get a new pair of something and wanted to try shoes on. Sadly as mentioned I found it difficult to see much of a range and the shops I went to if they had stuff they didn't have them in size 48. 99 Bikes had the best range but each shop is hit and miss with stock and sizes. For the Riders as always (The only place I buy parts in Brisbane BTW) had great service but a minimal range. You can't really blame the shops with so much competition online but if I did find shoes at a shop I buy at the shop not then head online for cheaper.
Thanks mate, yeah FTR is the only decent game in town I reckon but their shoe selection is pretty poor. Shame, shoes are the one thing I'd really prefer to buy in person but I think it'll have to be online.

Sounds like Shimano shoes might not be good for me, shame, the xc60s look ok.

Minlak

custom titis
Thanks mate, yeah FTR is the only decent game in town I reckon but their shoe selection is pretty poor. Shame, shoes are the one thing I'd really prefer to buy in person but I think it'll have to be online.

Sounds like Shimano shoes might not be good for me, shame, the xc60s look ok.
I tried the XC 60's on in 99 Bikes they fit ok and felt ok but after a few minutes could just feel them on my little toe. For the price I still almost bought them but yeah the little toe pain thing was in the back of my mind. Just to add more info my little toes are pretty wide and short had a few breaks and wore shoes too small for me for years as a child so it might just be a me issue.

They had these there http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c.../shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-M162.-type-..html I really liked them tried a 47 on and was very close to fitting but they didn't have a 48 and I didn't find them again at another store.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Feet tend to swell slightly during a ride, if they feel uncomfortably tight in the shop they will be awful after an hour of riding. Either go a size up or find a different brand that suits your foot better.
In terms of sizing, most brands should be the same as your usual shoes except for Shimano, you generally need to go one size up with them.

Last edited:

Quintin

Eats Squid
you want MTB or road?

i have a super wide and high (but short) foot:

road shoes i found a pair of louis garneau at 99 bikes that fit wide enough

MTB i have run the same shoe since 2006 (the actual ones) and it is the older version of what appears to now be the AM45. it has the rubber flap over the laces. enough room in there

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hey kids,
Anyone have a rough guide as to how different brands of SPD shoes actually fit? Had some SPDs in the early 'noughties but have been on flats since.

I have medium-wide forefeet but reasonably narrow heels FWIW.

I need some shoes for the SDBC this year. So, efficiency and ventilation are priorities. If anyone has specific recommendations that would be grand.

I've been looking at the websites of some Brissy retailers but there's not a great selection compared to online.
Hi, same sort of feet as yours, find I can't wear nikes at all for instance.

Don't discount the shimanos too quickly - the xc60 is not suitable for your foot - the xc50 however has a wider forefoot. I have also found the specialized to fit pretty well, the Louis garneau and sidi don't fit.

It's really a game of trying whatever you can find on.

I've been looking at buying shoes online recently. There's a few charts comparing sizing of different brands.
Problem is, the more you look the more confusing it gets. Especially when half sizes get involved!
If this helps the OP any, I fit:
44 Shimano (bit snug)
45 SpecialiZed
45 Sidi
44 Cannondale
And 44 (US 10) Converse

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Hey Sausage, care to post up some links? :wave: just in case I prove to be Google incapable :behindsofa: I'll try to find these comparison charts as I am in the market for shoes. Anyone know of any decent MTB shops on the E/SE side of melbourne which have good selection of shoes?

Try mountain bike direct, buy a few sizes and they offer free return as long as they are still in original packaging.

And have you considered fiveten shoes as well ?

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I have looked a the 5-10'S on the web. Just waiting a bit longer as my current pair whilst flogged are still useable. Still undecided on whether to go a shimano shoe or one of the other brands. Most probably stick with a shimano shoe as this last pair has lasted for about 5 years and I've been pretty happy with them.

sossy

Saucier
Shimano also do a wide fit, known as the "e" fit.

Available in MO88, xc61, xc70, xc 90

Any store than stocks Shimano shoes should be able to get there hands on them for you.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I ended up with some Shimano XC70s in the wide ('E') fit - they feel pretty good so far, adequately wide across the forefoot, but not really high in volume at the front, good heel retention. I've only done two rides in them though. I'm wearing them around the house right now to break them in a bit.

Apparently they're heat moldable - anyone had it done to their shoes?