Spear Fishing.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
float line sounds good. what diameter PVC did you use? never used one myself but been tempted to try when i have the spare time to make one.

going to be putting together a few new guns when i get home to complete my set ready for summer. also going to swap to medium stiffness fin blades, using some hards now and always thought they were fine. had a go of some mediums in some deeper water the other day and loved them.

photos will have to wait until either i get home or find somewhere with broadband. nothing particularly spectacular though, was too busy chasing fish with the gun.

chimpy

Likes Dirt
spear fishing

i was keen on spear fishing until i got attacked by a bronze whaler surfing. it is great fun but it just freaks me out to much now.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Wifey bought me a new speargun for my last Birthday. Don't get out nearly enough. Usually take a bodyboard and spear gear to the beach but if there is a wave on the bodyboard wins. Happy to go with someone looking for a dive buddy around Sydney, Northern Beaches? I am quite amateur but still enjoy it!

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Joel,

I used a 6mm inner diameter PVC, so with the Dyneema inside, it should keep plenty of air inside for good buoyancy. I also had a Stainless ring welded through one end for the Float shark clip, and a Speed Needle welded through the other.

I should be heading out this Sunday, so I'll try it then and let you know how it went.

If you're interested, I could make you one up and send it to you? Just as long as you cover the cost of materials and postage. (I owe you for all your help.:))

I've included a pic so you can see for yourself.

Chimpy,

Must have been terrible (to say the least:eek:) to have been attacked!! It'd put me off too. Maybe one day you'll get back in the water mate.

KWICKS,

Try the "SpearOZ" site I posted earlier. You may be able to get a dive buddy there.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
float line looks the goods, keen to hear how it goes. really appreciate the offer but with most of my gear i enjoy making it almost as much as i do using it so i'll be making one myself...eventually.

really keen to get back in the water at home and HOPEFULLY crack my first kingy this summer :D

chimpy

Likes Dirt
Joel,

I used a 6mm inner diameter PVC, so with the Dyneema inside, it should keep plenty of air inside for good buoyancy. I also had a Stainless ring welded through one end for the Float shark clip, and a Speed Needle welded through the other.

I should be heading out this Sunday, so I'll try it then and let you know how it went.

If you're interested, I could make you one up and send it to you? Just as long as you cover the cost of materials and postage. (I owe you for all your help.:))

I've included a pic so you can see for yourself.

Chimpy,

Must have been terrible (to say the least:eek:) to have been attacked!! It'd put me off too. Maybe one day you'll get back in the water mate.

KWICKS,

Try the "SpearOZ" site I posted earlier. You may be able to get a dive buddy there.

Cheers, Shorerider.
i still surf and that but it scares me right out the back of the headland in deep water.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Joel, if your listening, I've just finished making my first "Custom" Float line. Clear PVC tube, Dyneema inner, and Stainless fittings at both ends. It came out a treat. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it performs. Where are the pics of your trip???
Cheers, Shorerider.
where did you get your fittings for the ends from?

and finally some of the photos i promised so long ago. nothing particularly exciting though, barely got the camera out all trip:

my tip for anyone diving tropical waters, wear full length bottoms. i was burnt to the point where it started going purple at the end of the second day!

also got out for a quick dive yesterday arvo near ulladulla. seas were still way up, vis 1-3m. bugger all fish around, not that i could really tell with that little vis. ended up searching for crays for a while. went a bit like this... knee deep in a cave, as soon as everything goes black grab hold of anything i could, thats a wave breaking over the top of me, keep searching. after about 45 minutes of that i finally found what must have been the only legal cray around. didn't have a catch bag so had to figure out a way to unload the gun one handed and keep hold of the cray with the other. another half hour battling my way in through the breakers desperately hanging onto the cray and i finally crawled up the beach. lesson (i should have) learnt: if it looks too rough to get in, particularly to someone as optimistic as myself, it probably is

also got a few new timber guns in the pipeline when i get the time. first will be a couple with merou handles fitted to turned timber stocks. one for me, the other will be for a mate (assuming it turns out alright, otherwise he will have to settle for a merou edge). thrid will be a 4 band, mid handle cannon with full wing kit to take on a trip i'm planning on doing next july :eek:

Last edited:

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey Fellas I've recently started spearfishing and loving it.
Managed to gather all the gear, cost a bit.. but I'm set.
I live in Wollongong (Illawarra) and was wondering if anyone, from this thread spears down that way?
i keep an eye out on this thread for reply's, for i wouldn't mind possible linking up for the day etc.

Cheers Matt:cool:

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Nice Dolphin fish/Mahi Mahi there Joel. Don't blame you for not taking many pics, I'd much rather be behind my gun too.

Fittings were bought from Bunnings, and are supposed to be used for 3mm stainless wire. It took me a while to work out the best method to use the fittings. But what I ended up with is air tight and strong enough for me to be able to pull from one end at full force, with the other end secured to my fence!!!

I'll PM you my number as it'll be too indepth to describe here.

I went for a dive 2 weeks ago to do a bit of spearing. Didn't fare too well. Missed at least 5 sure shots, and a handful of others that "could've been".

Swell picked up the longer we were in the water. Early into the dive I was hunting along a cliff face looking for Sweep, where a set of about 3-4 massive waves almost had me smashed to a pulp against the cliff.

The waves were big enough that they pulled my float, with catch bag attached, so hard I got dragged a couple of meters while holding onto my gun!! This is when I think I lost one of my dive knife holder straps.

It was a good test for my new "home-made" float-line though, which worked a treat.

That's not the end of it.

After about 4 frustrating hours, I gave up and headed for shore. My exit was less than graceful. Both my fins came off in the surging waves. So I had to make a mad dash for shore, dump my gear, and head back in to look for my lost fins. It's not very easy to swim without fins after spending the last few hours with fins on.

I bet you're laughing about now........right?

Miraculously after only about 5 minutes of searching, I had found both fins. Thank God.

I went out again today. Although it was only to my local/nearest dive spot, which isn't very fishy, as my dive buddy was strapped for time.

Vis was 3-4 meters which did nothing but make it harder to see the fish that were actually around.

I saw a large snook or pike. Don't know for sure as it swam off into the murky distance before I could get a good look/shot. Also saw my first Port Jackson Shark.

On a funny note my buddy got a good sized Pinkie. Got, not shot!!! It was stuck to a fishing line which had snagged and snapped, leaving the fish stuck to the line. It was still alive so he claimed it!!!!!

Cheers, Shorerider.

DH_Freak

Likes Dirt
mate just go out to old mates yar steal a stick of bamboo. grab some 4 inch nails and some gaffa tape and tape the nails to the tip of the bamboo. and sheel be sweet.
dude actually did this one day and went down the hot water outlet and speared some fishes haha was sik.
get some

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GTFO of our thread!

found those stainless fittings at bunnings. at 20 bucks a pop i think i might get on the tools and make something myself. still deciding whether i want to bother finishing the float line right now, cost is starting to add up and i can get what is generally considered to be the bees knees of pvc floatlines for $80 without any of the troubles of making it. or i can just be happy with with what i've got now...

good to hear you found the fins without too much hassle, could easily have ended up like my guns and camera.

now just fingers crossed for good weather for my next 4 day weekend in a fortnights time:)

Last edited:

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
You're right about those fittings, bloody expensive to buy. All up my 10m floatline cost me around $80. Like you said, you could probably get a similar set up premade for the same or less. Cheaper fittings can be found at fishing/dive or spear shops too.

I like the end result of mine, and I made it myself.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
same as making your own guns. can buy something off the shelf cheaper but it will never be as satisfying as something you make yourself.

i'm really keen to start my new guns.

Lleyt0n

Likes Dirt
hay good to see there are some spearfishers on this site
it has such great diversity

for those in sydney needing places to spear and dont have a boat hes some good spots for beginners to advanced, ive been there and had good results. ill post some up later if needed

Kurnell
beginner level (1-2 hours)
This is one of the best dives in the shire for absolute beginners. Park at the council car park between the Caltex wharf and the National Park and enter the water at the first groyne. Swim north and explore the seagrass beds for flathead. The water here is only 1-4 metres deep so its a good opportunity to get used to the new gear and hopefully bring home a feed. Some pretty big flathead (lizards) have been caught here so be ready for the fish of a lifetime.

Wattamolla
beginner to advanced (1-6 hours)
Access is through the Royal National Park (park use fees apply). Follow Sir Bertrum Stevens Drive to the Wattamolla turnoff. Park in the car park and walk to the Lagoon. Swim from here and plan your dive according to your ability. Dives in the area have great scope with shallow reef over sand and exposed rocky cliffs dropping into deep water.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
four day weekend coming up, fingers crossed for good weather. got a few spots i'm really keen to check out but they're the sort of spots where you really need the weather to cooperate.

in not so pleasant news: http://spearoz.org/index.php?topic=5363

I only know what's written in that thread and don't know the exact circumstances but as always, stay safe, look after your buddy.

nick89_

Likes Dirt
try not to shoot that buddy
Speaking of not shooting your buddy.....

My usual dive buddy and I took my cousin out. We were hunting around, didn't get anything/see anything so we called it a day. My cousin got out of the water without unloading his gun (I didn't realise. Swear I told him not to have it loaded out of the water). We packed our stuff and started walking. Out of the corner of my eye I see my cousin point the gun into the air and shoot. The spear goes up. (Lucky this gun dosen't have a bungee cord). HE HAD NO IDEA IT WAS LOADED WHEN HE SHOT IT OUT OF THE WATER.

And to think. If you were someone who has never held a spear gun where would you aim and "pretend" to shoot? You would "pretend" to shoot the sky or the closest person. It was basically a 1/3 Russian Roulette that myself or my dive buddy were not shot by my cousin.....

IF you are going to take someone new out tell them what not to do like they are a baby. I thought it was common sense to check if your gun was loaded or not before getting out. Perhaps not.

BTW at first he was trying to load the gun like a bow and arrow:p. Had the spear out on the elastic trying to pull both of them back together..... To think I thought it was common sense....

Lleyt0n

Likes Dirt
Speaking of not shooting your buddy.....

My usual dive buddy and I took my cousin out. We were hunting around, didn't get anything/see anything so we called it a day. My cousin got out of the water without unloading his gun (I didn't realise. Swear I told him not to have it loaded out of the water). We packed our stuff and started walking. Out of the corner of my eye I see my cousin point the gun into the air and shoot. The spear goes up. (Lucky this gun dosen't have a bungee cord). HE HAD NO IDEA IT WAS LOADED WHEN HE SHOT IT OUT OF THE WATER.

And to think. If you were someone who has never held a spear gun where would you aim and "pretend" to shoot? You would "pretend" to shoot the sky or the closest person. It was basically a 1/3 Russian Roulette that myself or my dive buddy were not shot by my cousin.....

IF you are going to take someone new out tell them what not to do like they are a baby. I thought it was common sense to check if your gun was loaded or not before getting out. Perhaps not.

BTW at first he was trying to load the gun like a bow and arrow:p. Had the spear out on the elastic trying to pull both of them back together..... To think I thought it was common sense....
haha you gotta be careful around that sort of shit thats why even in the water i have my safety on and only turn it off when im gonna make a shot

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the only real safety is slack rubbers. the vast majority on commercially made guns are unreliable and regularly fail. don't have a safety on any of my guns and wouldn't have it any other way.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Safety off in the water for me, missed too many fish frigging around with it wehn I was learning. Much better to be loaded and ready to fire. Its about control and a decisive mind, nothing else then.