Specialized Carve SSer 2013.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2012 here, but I've heard the 2013's are hard to find. Shame, nice looking bike.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Not a carve but I just picked myself up a new 2012 stumpjumper SSer frame at a good price. Hopefully be built up by the end of the week!

Boxer

Likes Dirt
I've been hunting for a SS Carve for about 6 months - tough to come by and the new SL29 with rigid fork makes the quest a bit harder as I want an 80mm sus fork.

Whats the SJ SS frame worth - i see its frame only and carbon so makes for a spendy build I suspect?

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I've been hunting for a SS Carve for about 6 months - tough to come by and the new SL29 with rigid fork makes the quest a bit harder as I want an 80mm sus fork.

Whats the SJ SS frame worth - i see its frame only and carbon so makes for a spendy build I suspect?
Retail from memory is $2000+ for the carbon SJ SS frame. Mine had been hanging on a shop wall for awhile and I happened to be in the right place at the right time to get an amazing deal on it.

I've seen a few new 2012 carve frames around for sale for around the $450 mark.

What I really like but are almost impossible to find (and prob way above my pay grade) is one of the ned overland limited edition carve SSer. http://www.specialized.com/si/en/bikes/mountain/carve/carvepronedoverendlimitededition

Last edited:

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Bike looks good Refreshinglygood. How does it ride with suspension forks?

I picked up a 2012 frame yesterday. There are a few around still if you want to do some searching. Most of them are Large or XL. I was lucky enough to find a medium(my size)

Now I just need to finalize what build to put on it. This is what I'm thinking

Rockshox SID RCT3 or XX. I'm leaning to XX for the remote lock out
Stans ZTR Crest wheel set with Schwalbe Racing Raph's
Easton EC70 carbon bars and seat post.
Fizik seat
Xt Brakes
Raceface turbine SS cranks

Some of the parts I've already got others I still need to buy so might and probably will change as I build it up over the next few months.

Can't wait to ride it. I haven't has a SS before so should be interesting.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah. It goes pretty well. I'll probably build a lighter wheel set. It just rolls and rolls Suspension forks fit fine. It's just a carve with an ebb. Bought the reba for $500 new on eBay.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, it's been a couple months since i got this thing. I could write a whole bunch of stuff about how good it is but i won't. It's just not worth the effort as it is just a solid, reliable and fun bike to ride. That is all that really matters.

What I will say that it is a very comfortable, and safe bike to ride. At the end of the day it's a mid range bike, and as such, it does what you would expect a mid range bike to do. I've done a whole bunch of short 1.5 hour rides on it. I don't get any back pain, i don't feel beat up, and it hasn't groaned or moaned (it should as i am 100kg's on a good day). I've done a couple of longer 3 hour rides, and truthfully, the result is the same. Legs are tired, back is not. WIN.

I had a niner MCR once (busted the chain stay) It feels very similar to that. Long top tube, reasonable length in the chain stay, rolls and rolls and rolls. It handles the corners much better than the MCR (Probably the crisp aluminium frame responsible for that) but otherwise, it's a cheaper version of a niner.

I've been single speeding for about 5 years now (only bike with the silly gearing thing in the garage is the commuter). While i have had other bikes that were better in certain areas, this one is just solid. It does what you want it to do, it keeps going. it is comfortable, and responsive, it is no stand head and shoulders above all other bikes kind of bike, but then again, there is no such thing.

Get on one.