Specialized Demo 9, your opinoin

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Saw it at Beauty, and first impression = somewhat on the fugly side...
Id really have to ride one before i could form a decent opinion. I loved the look of the sexy old skool bikes though...soooo simple, none of all this messy looking crap. One reason why i prefer the look of M1's (or the good ol Super8's even!) for example, over V10's.

Ivan

Eats Squid
it's super strong in the rear and comfortably takes a 26" rear wheel.

the 24" on the bighit is holding back sales

Buy it! its a specialized!

S.

ex offender
How do you know it's super strong in the rear? Tested one to destruction, I presume? ;)

Ivan

Eats Squid
yes , i carefully constructed an experiment whereby i ran over a demo 9 in a mack truck.... i won't bore you with details such as speed and weight of the truck but needless to say... the rear end of the demo 9 was the only part of several bikes tested to survive!

Hence:::::Super strong.

so there socket! GF!

(GF is a new internet abbreviation...GF=Get Fucked)

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
personally the well short chainstay's are what appeals to me... which is i think what makes specialized boikes ride pretty nice, the bighit runs a 24" rear to achieve it... and they ride hella nice. 16.5 CS on a 9" bike is appealing to me. If money were no issue it'd be on my list fo' sho'....

DonDiablo

Likes Bikes
Well... I was kind of horroived when I saw the first pics, but after I saw it in real life at eurobike I changed my opinion. Good one spec. made a dh rig with 26" rearwheel. But it still looked... heavy... beefy... dunnow...

The Big Hit still is a relatively cheap and descent DH option which has proven itself

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
gettin a lil outta hand, but i'll add to it *smacks self in the head*
ivan - i thought GF was girlfriend? :(

will4eva7k

Likes Dirt
from my view, i reckon the specialized demo 9 would be one sweet ride
it can handle a lot of rear travel :p and looks pretty strong
i luv the orange duallys though *droolz*

smooth

Likes Dirt
d9

hot lookin bike but dont know squat about how it rides. The price for the frame is just under $4000 , think ill be keeping the big hit dh for another year or two till they sort the bugs out and the price falls a bit.

udi

swiss cheese
Yeah.. and poor folks like me will wait numerous years, while the technology trickles down the line :)

bazza

look at me
Ivan said:
yes , i carefully constructed an experiment whereby i ran over a demo 9 in a mack truck.... i won't bore you with details such as speed and weight of the truck but needless to say... the rear end of the demo 9 was the only part of several bikes tested to survive!

Hence:::::Super strong.

so there socket! GF!

(GF is a new internet abbreviation...GF=Get Fucked)
you never know when those mack trucks might hit you when your doing a dh run!!!! :shock:

The reason why they changed the design is purely for the freerider customers.
They wanted a 9" bike with gears in the front and running longer seatposts so riders could lift the seat and climb stuff. In the process the had to keep the good braking performance of FSR designs.
So there you have it. Demo 9

Whether the shock is actuated tru the link or the chainstay will not make a difference with a 5th. You just tune your rates the way you like them. Compared to classic FSR design, this one's less of a falling rate.

john rea

Likes Bikes
i rode one at northside cyclery and is the f*$kin nicest bike to ride esspeacially with the 888 forks.the shock (manituo swinger) makes funny noises when you ride it.the top section of the swing arm stays almost still when the shocks moving.how do the guys at specialized come up with their designs.

S.

ex offender
BlackFire said:
Whether the shock is actuated tru the link or the chainstay will not make a difference with a 5th. You just tune your rates the way you like them. Compared to classic FSR design, this one's less of a falling rate.
Less of a falling rate? I only know of one classic-style FSR design with a falling rate... Bighits, Norcos etc are all rising-rate.