Specialized Demo 9

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Sparkman said:
Daver said:
hmmm i'd question the build quality of specialized... i snapped my fsr not once, not twice, but 4 times... and that was trailriding
With Specialized's lifetime frame warranty, you could have kept on snapping them :wink:

What sort of frame was it? I've run Specialized FSR's for about 6 years and never had any trouble with their build quality. That's XC and freeride/DH type stuff. Then I'm a light bugger and pretty tame compared to some riders out there.
It was a 99 model FSR extreme with psylos, and i cracked below the seat mast. I took it to the dealer and he told me to get fucked- hence i never bought from him or specialized ever again.

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
Sparkman said:
Daver said:
hmmm i'd question the build quality of specialized... i snapped my fsr not once, not twice, but 4 times... and that was trailriding
With Specialized's lifetime frame warranty, you could have kept on snapping them :wink:

What sort of frame was it? I've run Specialized FSR's for about 6 years and never had any trouble with their build quality. That's XC and freeride/DH type stuff. Then I'm a light bugger and pretty tame compared to some riders out there.
It was a 99 model FSR extreme with psylos, and i cracked below the seat mast. I took it to the dealer and he told me to get fucked- hence i never bought from him or specialized ever again.
Did he tell you to get fucked four times or after you your forth warranty return?

The seat mast area cops a shitload of stress on interrupted seat tube designs. The design engineers gotta be on their toes to build one of those designs to last. Then Al isn't the best material for long lasting frames anyway.

Edit: Obviously Al can be made to last a long time if designed properly, cos they build planes out of it.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Sparkman said:
Daver said:
Sparkman said:
Daver said:

Did he tell you to get fucked four times or after you your forth warranty return?

The seat mast area cops a shitload of stress on interrupted seat tube designs. The design engineers gotta be on their toes to build one of those designs to last. Then Al isn't the best material for long lasting frames anyway.

Edit: Obviously Al can be made to last a long time if designed properly, cos they build planes out of it.
He told me to get fucked four times...

Loonspoon

Likes Bikes
"It was a 99 model FSR extreme with psylos, and i cracked below the seat mast. I took it to the dealer and he told me to get fucked- hence i never bought from him or specialized ever again."

Daver this wasn't by chance a lime green coloured frame that you sold a few months ago. If so (and I'm pretty sure that it is), I'm the poor bastard who bought it in good faith. And yes it does have a crack at the base of the seat tower just like you described. Yeah I'm a fool for buying it without removing all the tape from the frame "to stop cable rub you said", but thats pretty poor form selling a frame that you knew to be cracked without mentioning it.

Might the reason it cracked be the 6in travel linkages that you put on it, not necessarily poor build quality.

Just to qualify my position, yes I bought a second hand frame that had been modified and I accepted the risks. However if it was Daver that sold me this frame, he knew it was cracked and didn't say a word about it. In my book that's f%@#ed.

brettly

Likes Dirt
Just to qualify my position, yes I bought a second hand frame that had been modified and I accepted the risks. However if it was Daver that sold me this frame, he knew it was cracked and didn't say a word about it. In my book that's f%@#ed.
That is F%@#ed....note to oneself, when buying second-hand check over everything and remove the friggin tape if u have to!!...thats the only reason im a bit weary of buying 2nd-hand bikes :)

Oh, Daver ...where the F%@# r ya now???????? :evil:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Loonspoon said:
"It was a 99 model FSR extreme with psylos, and i cracked below the seat mast. I took it to the dealer and he told me to get fucked- hence i never bought from him or specialized ever again."

Daver this wasn't by chance a lime green coloured frame that you sold a few months ago. If so (and I'm pretty sure that it is), I'm the poor bastard who bought it in good faith. And yes it does have a crack at the base of the seat tower just like you described. Yeah I'm a fool for buying it without removing all the tape from the frame "to stop cable rub you said", but thats pretty poor form selling a frame that you knew to be cracked without mentioning it.

Might the reason it cracked be the 6in travel linkages that you put on it, not necessarily poor build quality.

I do remember selling my 98 frame, which was perfectm, and had 6" travel plates on it from bike addiction (the old 4" ones went back to the dealer). As far as i remeber, there were no cracks on that bike, and if there was then i'm 100% sure that they were not there when i had the bike.

the frame that i actually did crack, the 99 frame finally went back to the shop, where i beleive it still is- that was the 99 silver one with an RS Sid rear shock. The one you have (if it is the one i sold)is the 98 green frame, with a 2000 model RS coupe deeluxe shock.... different aye?

I kniw it ain't my place to say, but most FSRs of that era (97-99) cracked in the same spot, which i'm pretty sure that you have cracked too. This is where i see the poor build quality in the specialized frames. I mean, for a model that was that flawed to be produced for 3 years?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Specialized have life a time warrenty. Either you didn't buy it new, modified the frame some how or "abused it" some how, like using a cross country bike for jumping etc. Sounds like you have a habit of cracking frames mate :(

I doubt you would be cracking a demo 9 anytime soon.

junior

get out of my grill
good huck bike as 2 fast said.
i had a little go in thredbo terminal and it was pretty beefy!! seeing it was as like as big as me!!!

Skin

Likes Dirt
Daver ...Hmmmm Maybe you ride like a total gumby with the agility of a chain saw ? (bike abuser?) maybe not ?
+ your talking about a old bike.. things have progressed ..
(riders are going bigger too.. all factors to take into account)

Demo's a sweet very plush ... i had a extended ride on one at Narby (vic)
only draw back is the weight ....

Loonspoon

Likes Bikes
Orright,
Apologies daver. I didn't mean to accuse anyone of bad deeds. I guess it was just a coincidence that there was a crack in the location covered by tape and I assumed the worst, but as I already said, my fault for not checking. There's no way of knowing if the crack was there when I bought it or if I put it there myself.

It is the same bike that you sold though. The green one with plates from bikeaddiction. It was going strong until I read these posts and as a result checked for cracks.