Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'R 2012 - what upgrades?

ljwardy

Squid
considering one of these (coz of the cheap price) to commute and hit the odd trail...wondering what people would recommend modifying on a budget to get a nicer bike to ride (obviously forks but what model etc)

what are peoples opinions on these forks... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rock-Sho...pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts&hash=item336a616e36

FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum 29", fully butted, disc only, 6061 alloy, double ORE down tube, externally relieved head tube, forged dropouts and reinforced disc mount, alloy replaceable derailleur hanger

REAR SHOCK

FORK SR Suntour XCT 29" (SF11-XCT-V3-DS-29), 1pc. alloy lower, 28mm Hi-Ten stanchions, 1-1/8" Hi-Ten steerer, coil/mcu spring w/ preload adj., 80mm travel

HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball w/ seals

STEM Ahead, 4 bolt clamp, 20º rise, 25.4mm

HANDLEBARS Alloy flat bar, 8º backsweep, 4º upsweep, 25.4mm

GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound

FRONT BRAKE Tektro Novela mechanical disc brake, dual pad angle adj., post mount, 160mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Tektro Novela mechanical disc brake, dual pad angle adj., post mount, 160mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Tektro, die cast lever, included w/ brake

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 8-speed, 34.9mm clamp, top-swing, dual-pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 8-speed, SGS cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Altus, 8-speed Rapidfire plus, SL type w/ optical display

CASSETTE Shimano 8-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN KMC X-8, 8-speed, reusable Missing Link

CRANKSET SR Suntour XCT, 8-speed, square taper spindle

CHAINRINGS 42/32/22, replaceable outer, w/ chainguard

BOTTOM BRACKET Square taper, cartridge bearing, double crank stop

PEDALS Composite platform w/ molded pins, toe clip compatible, 9/16" w/ reflectors

RIMS Alex HR Disc 29", alloy double-wall, disc, pin joint, 24mm, 36h

FRONT HUB Disc hub, QR axle, sealed loose ball, 17mm contact, 36h

REAR HUB Sealed loose ball, disc mount, 19mm contact, QR, 36h

SPOKES Stainless silver, 2.0mm (14g)

FRONT TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, 29x2.0"

REAR TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, 29x2.0"

INNER TUBES Schrader valve

SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry Hardrock, steel rails, front and rear bumpers, 143mm width

SEATPOST Alloy, 2 bolt head, 30.9mm, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust

SEAT BINDER 34.9mm, alloy, extruded QR leverl

i would be trying to keep it under the $1000-1200 figer..
cheers

..wardy..

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hard to make any recommendations without knowing the purchase price, but my gut feel is that you're not going to get best bang for the buck.

Given you want to spend $10-$1200, you may be better off looking for a better specced bike straight off the shelf - if you can scrape together a few more $$$, have a look at http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/9716/50972/ (RRP $1500) or http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/talon/10451/50979/ (RRP $1200).

In answer to your original question, the Tora fork at $250 brand new is pretty good value I reckon.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Hard to make any recommendations without knowing the purchase price, but my gut feel is that you're not going to get best bang for the buck.

Given you want to spend $10-$1200, you may be better off looking for a better specced bike straight off the shelf - if you can scrape together a few more $$$, have a look at http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/9716/50972/ (RRP $1500) or http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/talon/10451/50979/ (RRP $1200).

In answer to your original question, the Tora fork at $250 brand new is pretty good value I reckon.
24.gif

Agree on the Giant, better components out of the box, the money you were going to spend on the new fork you use to pay for the Giant up front. The only other option is to go singlespeed, and get a bling Redline Monocog, KHS Solo, or Surly Karate Monkey, you'll come in under budget, and won't spend much in the way of maintenance in the future.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Definitely change out the front fork but I'd also ditch the entire groupset and change up to a Shimano Deore disc grouppe. Merlin Cycles in the UK has a ten speed version for AU$420 delivered http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...+Speed+Disc+Brake+Groupset_DEORE-GROUP-10.htm
while Bike24 in Germany will sell you such a 9 speed groupset for about AU$360 delivered http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...6;page=1;menu=1000,2,16;mid=0;pgc=0;orderby=2

My reasonong for doing that is that the groupset on the Hardrock is merely functional. It'll be OK but if you do give it some welly then it won't cope with the dirt, dust and vibration. It's a recreational aand occasional use grouppe.

However.........once you've spent another $600 plus on the bike....what else could you have bought? And yes I went through exactly the same thoughts too with respect to this very bike model. So far I think it'd be better to get a bare budget frame (like a Voodoo, KHS etc etc.) and build it up - Merlin will sell you a grouppe and control pack (bar, stem & post) for about AU$530. Budget another $300 for a wheelset. Fitzroy Connection have some KHS Solo frames for $200.....so a full new built 10speed using a locally sourced frame for under $1,200 is not out of the question.

Shopping from the Rotorburn skip bin may save you even more...

Last edited:

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
Only $599 for this bike, so don't spend too much time & money upgrading. Replace the fork by all means, and then the rest when it's needed.

Purdy

Squid
I purchased the same bike but the 2011 model 8 months ago. I have gotten into XC racing (have completed all 4 shimano GP races and the 3 ring circus 50KM event) and some all mountain riding with it. So I have broken a few bits and upgraded a few. Here is what I have done:

Front and rear brakes now shimano SLX (total $250 off ebay). Mechs were good but too much hand cramps from racing.
front and rear rims now ZTR flows with DT swiss spokes and new shimano hubs as I folded both wheels on separate occasions (stock wheelsets crap)
Canberra race on last lap I blew my forks (same crappy suntours you have), have just ordered RockShox Recon Silvers.

Everybody said to me that I should buy a more expensive bike but I just couldnt afford it at the time, if I had waited I would only be buying my first bike now and I would have missed out on all my riding so far. Also by slowly upgrading you learn a lot about parts etc and upgrading yourself is fairly easy. The frame on this bike is great and with a lifetime warrenty. I now have an awesome hardtail with the parts I wanted. With these parts I would have had to spend upwards of $3000 to get the same fresh from the factory.

I am waiting to upgrade the stock gearing but it hasnt faulted as yet and I have pushed it hard. Not bad for a bike that was rated as recreational use only.

Last edited:

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
Re:

I have the 2013 model and rode it hard for 4 years before upgrading a few parts, just love this bike.
Now has a 2 x 9 setup and the Rockshox 30 forks oh and all the other goodies I've fitted over the last 4 years.
Still use it regularly to compete in XC competitions.

Last edited: