Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just dropped my 2010 brain shock off for a very expensive service so will be interested to hear how this turns out.

And for those questioning if fox make these - they have since 2010. I took mine to Tekin and they send them on to Fox to be serviced.
Sent one of these off to fox (through a shop)
it got sent back and they told us to send it to specialized!!

not sure if it was because solasport didnt like my shop or something, but im pretty sure specialized do all the servicing?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
$270 ! OUCH!

Time to trade in the brain for something else! :eek:hwell:

Yep, utter bullshit every 100 hrs. I'm close with the rebuild, couldn't get dowel pins in 3/50th so I'm making some, I've been very busy the last few weeks, will get back to this early July.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Have been discussing all things Specialized brain with an overseas suspension tuner who at this stage wants to remain anonymous. The 2012 shock was made by fusion-x, despite drawings with fox logos on them.

Going to to skip the assembly of the 2012 and jump right into the 2014 fox's strip down and rebuild as I'm so time poor atm, will video the 2014s rebuild.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Props to you for giving it a go :hail:

I've a love hate with the brain. Climbs like a hard tail yet opens with an annoying delay once a bump arrives. I have started prototyping up an electronically controlled equivalent with a single axis accelerometer.
That sounds awesome. Admiration for anyone that gives this sort of stuff a go.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Have been discussing all things Specialized brain with an overseas suspension tuner who at this stage wants to remain anonymous. The 2012 shock was made by fusion-x, despite drawings with fox logos on them.
Does that apply to the 2011 ones as well? Is there an easy way to distinguish FOX or X-Fusion versions?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Started on the 2014 Shock off my Epic WC.

vacuum bleed port in the IFP and another port in the adjuster shaft.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Shock still had nitrogen pressure but leaking oil from hose o rings.

5 cents of shitty orings caused it's failure it would seem.

I ride with 28psi in the tyres, brain on full firm but 20 psi less then autosag gives me. On a WC that's pretty firm, bearings have already been replaced once at 1200km, seems the shock isn't up to the task. Shock has done about 1500km before I swapped it out for a spare.

SO THE FUN BEGINS

have started collecting parts for a vacuum bleed setup. Have a large water purification filter housing to act as my oil reservoir to hook vacuum pump and air compressor up to.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You may not need to vacuum bleed at the IFP. That IFP design will allow you to over-fill and then insert the IFP with the screw out. Put the screw back in once the IFP is at the correct depth. Oil displaced through the hole should have the entire thing under oil when you re-insert the screw.

The bleed hole on the top looks like you may be able to use a SRAM XX bleed kit adapter (or AVID disc brake bleed adapter) and a big syringe to pressurize and alternatively pull a vacuum to get it bled.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You may not need to vacuum bleed at the IFP. That IFP design will allow you to over-fill and then insert the IFP with the screw out. Put the screw back in once the IFP is at the correct depth. Oil displaced through the hole should have the entire thing under oil when you re-insert the screw.

The bleed hole on the top looks like you may be able to use a SRAM XX bleed kit adapter (or AVID disc brake bleed adapter) and a big syringe to pressurize and alternatively pull a vacuum to get it bled.
Would be nice if this was possible, would make it an option for many to rebuild and bleed themselves at home.