Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The bearing housing to damping shaft oring is made of polyurethane. I suspect this o ring has suffered from extrusion failure ( where it gets pushed into the tiny gap between bearing housing and damping shaft and damaged) and is letting oil out and air in. The fox air chamber oil is a very thick blue oil, circa 90w, known as "pillow pack" . I've seen brain shocks with a very thin oil on the damper body ( shiny shaft the air can seals to) that appears to be the damping oil.

My friendly seal shop that does hydraulic parts and repairs sold me high quality Parker polyurethane orings.

Part of the final how to, when I wrap this all up, will be part numbers of orings.

Image depicting oring extrusion

Oring-Extrusion-Failure1.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've understood all of about 3 words you've said here, but it looks really interesting, so definitely subbing :D

I've found it immensely interesting working through the solution, it's slowly taking shape, at 1 hr a week I'm pushing Xmas I think. I will shoot a video of disassembling a shock with explanations, and of the actual vacuum bleeding.

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
I've found it immensely interesting working through the solution, it's slowly taking shape, at 1 hr a week I'm pushing Xmas I think. I will shoot a video of disassembling a shock with explanations, and of the actual vacuum bleeding.
I honestly never knew suspension could be so technical, why can't they just have it with a spring and a few bits of metal. No air to worry about, no oil to worry about hahaha

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Using a vacuum to pull liquid against Gravity is very cool. With -1 bar vacuum a cup of water was violently sucked into the chamber in under 2 seconds.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And so the oring monkey business begins. The vast majority of the worlds products use Orings from the imperial standard AS568 or the metric standard ISO3601.

When you want to fuck people up, you design your product to use less common parts. So now I need to measure bores and grooves and calculate Orings and find ones from either one of the less common standards, or pick a close match from the metric or imperial spec lists.

The Parker oring handbooks is full of design tips. I.e the below, chamfer the entry to prevent oring damage during assembly. Obviously this machining stage was skipped, we can't have a product with a long service life, that would just not do. image.jpg

stirk

Burner
Sounds like inbuilt/planned obsolescence at play.

Talk to an Apple user they know all about it. :behindsofa:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah, SID WC carbon with worn stanchion. Which works just fine, but ultimately I might use the Brain fork "chassis" with the WC internals.

Anyway, I do think my Brain damper needs a service. When you are ready :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, SID WC carbon with worn stanchion. Which works just fine, but ultimately I might use the Brain fork "chassis" with the WC internals.

Anyway, I do think my Brain damper needs a service. When you are ready :)

Sure once I'm happy with the rebuild of mine, we can rebuild yours, and look at a brain transplant if needed.