Speeding is bad, mmkay?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
First off, not trying to find loopholes and a way out so please don't post up why I deserve it and why I shouldn't be on the road etc etc.

Some quick questions about licenses and demerit points etc. Last night on my way to be the deso for the night, got done 22 over during double demerits. Wasn't really thinking, limit jumps down to 60 from 80 for a few hundred metres and I just cruised on through at 80. That's a 10km/h over offense.

Questions are, when going for full license from green p's, do I get my full 13 points and do my demerit points carry over from my greens? I'm in a bit of a strange situation with points. Had one point left on greens, lost 6 (double demerits again, no seatbelt while moving my car to a different parking spot less than 100m away) so -5 points. Got my full license a few days later and never lost my license. If the demerits from my greens do carry over I'm on -18 so no point trying to find a way out, but if they don't I could still have one left if I get the full 13 points when I got my full license.

Haven't been done for speeding since I first got my license, bit annoyed that I get a $250 fine and 6 points when a friend of mine got done at 35 over in the exact same zone on her red p's and got let off with a 10 over because 'she didn't know the speed limit and was very sorry...'.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Just asked my mate who worked @ VicRoads;

Points carry over, you don't get a clean slate when you get the full licence.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
No mate, points last for 36 months - it's a rolling tally, so if an offence was 37 months ago, those points are no longer against your license, but if they were 35 months ago they do, capeesh?

Oh, and bike related - got pulled over by a moto cop on Saturday - I have a bike license plate held on with zip ties to my carrier, and he said they must be bolted on and can't flap around - didn't charge me, but must have some level of severe OCD

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Well that's a shit. The last three time's I've been done have 6 point hits. Unregistered car and no p plates, someone elses car no rego stickers made that one a bitch and honestly did put plates on that morning. No belt 6 points and now this 6 points. Good thing the station is only a few hundred metres away, cheers guys.

Bike rack was on last night, number plate is on one of these guys. Brake lights and indicators built in, never had a worry with it, cop even commented on it last night.

http://jetblackcycling.com/products/JBRK-005

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
My understanding is demerit points expire with time not change of license type.

Red p plater friend is lucky and most likely cute.

In the Blue Mountains 80 means do 100, so much speeding as it is hard for the police to set traps. Blaxland and Lawson in the sweet 60 zones seem to be the favorite spots for the police to radar.

I'm one of those pricks who intentionally keep the right lane at the limit by blocking speeders with a car to my left meaning they can't pass me or the car on the left. Heh heh he he.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Red p plater friend is lucky and most likely cute.

I'm one of those pricks who intentionally keep the right lane at the limit by blocking speeders with a car to my left meaning they can't pass me or the car on the left. Heh heh he he.
She really is as dumb as she acts too.

It's too easy to speed in the mountains, too many times you look down doing well over the limit and everyone else is too.

stirk

Burner
She really is as dumb as she acts too.

It's too easy to speed in the mountains, too many times you look down doing well over the limit and everyone else is too.

Truckies and fools come unstuck, particularly around Medlow and Mt Vic bends.

Drive safe.

I hate (many) truckies.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I've got a few truckie mates who have told me that if I get the opportunity, speed past as soon as I can safely. See way too many people sitting next to em around corners.

Mt Vic. on a 1200 Kawasaki, that's good fun.

stirk

Burner
I've got a few truckie mates who have told me that if I get the opportunity, speed past as soon as I can safely. See way too many people sitting next to em around corners.

Mt Vic. on a 1200 Kawasaki, that's good fun.
Yep, I line up a truck before overtaking, sit behind him a little wait for a straight or inside corner and fang it past! Never outside corner.

Anywhere is fun on a 1200cc motorbike!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi Stirk - you are a dick. A self confessed one too

Used to know someone who drove like that - got runoff the road in a road Rage incident

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I feel like this thread might not be the place to talk about how I get around people blocking me off... I did that to a guy up my arse once, ended badly, he merged onto my car almost and forced me up onto the median strip in the centre of the highway. Cops didn't want a thing to do with it, couldn't care less.

EDIT: I might spin this thread off onto a tangent about straw man and legal bullshit soon though...

Minlak

custom titis
Your friend is smarter than you think. Every time I have been pulled over for speeding I admit to 10 kms over. They don't want the hassle of a court appearance and I deny that I was going any faster. Largest mark down I got was from 145 down to 112.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Your friend is smarter than you think. Every time I have been pulled over for speeding I admit to 10 kms over. They don't want the hassle of a court appearance and I deny that I was going any faster. Largest mark down I got was from 145 down to 112.
Yeah she really believed you could charge an iPhone in a microwave. No shit.

My best let off was technically drink driving, I'd had one beer about an hour before so I would be under the limit easily but was on p plates. Wasn't displaying p plates and didn't ask for my license because the rbt was too full and they needed to move us on quickly. I blew under .05 and went on my way. I asked for my BAC last night, 0.00 about 1.5 hours after a beer and a port, nice to have a reference to go by, don't really drink much anyway.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah she really believed you could charge an iPhone in a microwave. No shit.

My best let off was technically drink driving, I'd had one beer about an hour before so I would be under the limit easily but was on p plates. Wasn't displaying p plates and didn't ask for my license because the rbt was too full and they needed to move us on quickly. I blew under .05 and went on my way. I asked for my BAC last night, 0.00 about 1.5 hours after a beer and a port, nice to have a reference to go by, don't really drink much anyway.
I've never been asked for my license at an RBT. Weird they told you your reading too, I didn't think did that for the reasons you gave - having a benchmark will mean everyone will drive at .049999!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Hi Stirk - you are a dick. A self confessed one too

Used to know someone who drove like that - got runoff the road in a road Rage incident
I'm with you. Right side is for passing. I'd run you off the road too Stirk.

scblack

Leucocholic
Good point. If you admit to the speeding, their job is done for them. If you don't admit, they may have to go to court and that's a major drain on their resources, both time especially and money.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm with you. Right side is for passing. I'd run you off the road too Stirk.
nah, right lane is for driving in, nothing more. it's courteous to move on over if someone wants to get past, but definitely not mandatory. if I see some dick in my mirror screaming up at 20+ over, I'll throw my slow banged up Ute right in front of them just like stirk there, good luck pushing me out the way, I'll give as good as I get.

the road isn't your playground boys, people use it for getting from one place to another and generally prefer to make it there alive. I've got a family that I don't want endangered by fuckwittery, and I've pulled a few knobs out of twisted and bent cars - you don't have the right to drive however you want on roads shared by everyone.

(yes, I've been a dickhead on the road in the past too, doesn't mean I have to like it now)

scblack

Leucocholic
nah, right lane is for driving in, nothing more. it's courteous to move on over if someone wants to get past, but definitely not mandatory.
Sorry but you are pure and simple wrong. It IS mandatory, just people are too stupid to do it.

The rule of the road says: "Keep left unless overtaking."

Thus stay left unless you need to be overtaking. On the freeway from Newcastle to Sydney I do most of my overtaking in the left lane of three. Dumb shits park themselves in the middle and right lane unnecessarily. Leaving me to overtake on the left.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah, right lane is for driving in, nothing more. it's courteous to move on over if someone wants to get past, but definitely not mandatory. if I see some dick in my mirror screaming up at 20+ over, I'll throw my slow banged up Ute right in front of them just like stirk there, good luck pushing me out the way, I'll give as good as I get.

the road isn't your playground boys, people use it for getting from one place to another and generally prefer to make it there alive. I've got a family that I don't want endangered by fuckwittery, and I've pulled a few knobs out of twisted and bent cars - you don't have the right to drive however you want on roads shared by everyone.

(yes, I've been a dickhead on the road in the past too, doesn't mean I have to like it now)
I agree with most of this but there are signs up all over the place (in NSW anyway) stating that the right lane is only for passing and enforceable by fines etc..

I have a family too and hate seeing muppets on the road but that's up to them unfortunately and its sooooo frustrating to have some arrogant dick in the right lane doing exactly the same speed as the car next door just to enjoy winding people up. Ill sit in the right lane sometimes to save changing lanes 400 times but if someone wants to speed and hoons up behind me, I move over.