Speedplay pedals

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just pick up a new roadie and it came with a set of speedplay pedals.
What are peoples thoughts on these?
They feel pretty good once 90% of the float is taken out of them but how are they for durability?
With the retention mech on the bottom of the shoe I'm worried about walking on it and destroying it, I've done one ride on them and only have walked about 20m in them and they are already getting scratched up.
I notice you can get covers for them to walk on, I'm thinking of getting them as for about $40 it could save me a few hundred over the years.

HAKS

Likes Bikes
Done 5000km on mine, won't ever go back to SPD-L or similar. Def get the covers and take them on your rides if you get off a lot(i.e coffee shops). Cleats need replacing every 5000km or so, I am about to replace mine. Pedals and cleats also need regular cleaning and lubing, but it's a small price to pay for me to have comfortable feet (been able to position the cleats exactly right).

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, the shop did say to lube the mech after every second ride. I'll get a set of the covers as soon as although I don't plan on walking around in them much.

I thought I wasn't going to like them much after only using Shimano SPD's for the last 10 years but once I dialed out most of the float they feel real good.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that, the shop did say to lube the mech after every second ride. I'll get a set of the covers as soon as although I don't plan on walking around in them much.

I thought I wasn't going to like them much after only using Shimano SPD's for the last 10 years but once I dialed out most of the float they feel real good.
Switched to Speedplays from Times last last year... love em love em love em

Bit of chain lube on the cleat every week or two and hit the pedals with the speedplay grease gun every month or so and they've been completely reliable.

Yeah, covers good investment... (must get me some of those!) as walking in them is a slow cautious exercise!