Spirit of Tasmania

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
Spirit Of Tasmania offered 100% refunds on all fares booked from about 2-3 months ago, causing a flood of bookings.

They have now reneged on the 100% refund to all customers booked in the future.

Everyone got a txt message this morning saying they had until 08:59 on the 29th October to amend their sailing or lose the refund guarantee.

Just been on the phone with them and the girl I spoke to was apologetic as she's didn't even see it coming.

They have withdrawn the corona refund rule and return to the original terms and conditions, even for people booked on before the 15th December.

Depending on the fare selected, the refund reduces rapidly as the date approaches. Mine is 100% till Friday, 75% up till 7 days, then 50% 7 days till 24hrs, and 100% 24hrs out.
The original deal was 100% refund up until time of departure. My fare was nearly ~$2700.

With opening of borders, approaching corona clusters and States winging it with new scenarios popping up, this was the worst time to do this.

Lying, thieving chunts ! Not happy.

I now have until Friday to cancel or play corona cluster roulette with the fare.

Because I need to come from a clean state to get to Tassie and because its before the 15th December, we need to have SA as a low risk (clean) state... and we open for business on the 23rd November.
 
Last edited:

Mattyp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it was a weird move offering 100% refunds, made it near impossible to book a ticket when I went over around Easter...
Don't book if you don't plan to travel.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
Yeah it was a weird move offering 100% refunds, made it near impossible to book a ticket when I went over around Easter...
Don't book if you don't plan to travel.
We booked because of the 100% refund.

The other issue is my setup is over 2.1m high and night sailing preference.

13m long caravan and 4WD combined at over 2.1m high sells out 4-6 months before the sailings, no worries if you are under 2.1m.

Because we sail on the 13th, 2 days before the 15th December opening of Tassie, we need to drive from a low risk state. SA's roadmap released today says we open up the state to corona on the 23rd November, nearly 3 weeks before we sail, so if SA goes from Low risk to med or high, I cannot enter Tasmania.

After the 15th December, you can come from anywhere as long as you are double vaxxed and have a clear vid test within 72hrs.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
So I lose $650-$700 if I play their game and need to cancel up till 7 days before. Not the end of the world I suppose but its the principle that they signed me up under 100% refund up to 3 hours before depart... and sent me it in my contract.

382119
 
Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So I loose $650-$700 if I play their game and need to cancel up till 7 days before. Not the end of the world I suppose but its the principle that they signed me up under 100% refund up to 3 hours before depart... and sent me it in my contract.

View attachment 382119
If that’s in the conditions they sent you, I don’t see how they can change them after-the-fact to be honest… If it came to a legal stouche I think you’d win, but not once you’d payed the solicitors.

But yeah, shit move by the SoT. If their “exposure” was getting too great they should’ve canceled the fares or prevented new bookings weeks or months ago, not try and rewrite the rules after the fact. IMO they (the senior management) always had this in mind. Dirty pricks.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
If it came to a legal stouche I think you’d win, but not once you’d payed the solicitors.
Its either cancel and get the 100% or let them get away with it and lose ~$700 or give the $700 to another thief ^^^

Insert little Mex girl when deciding who will rob me :D
 

Mattyp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We booked because of the 100% refund.

The other issue is my setup is over 2.1m high and night sailing preference.

13m long caravan and 4WD combined at over 2.1m high sells out 4-6 months before the sailings, no worries if you are under 2.1m.

Because we sail on the 13th, 2 days before the 15th December opening of Tassie, we need to drive from a low risk state. SA's roadmap released today says we open up the state to corona on the 23rd November, nearly 3 weeks before we sail, so if SA goes from Low risk to med or high, I cannot enter Tasmania.

After the 15th December, you can come from anywhere as long as you are double vaxxed and have a clear vid test within 72hrs.
TLDR
My point is if 50,000 people just book knowing they can cancel just before departure, people end up booking willy nilly even multiple times and it fucks it for people who just want to get a ticket.
Your situation sucks for you, but for people like me who book with little notice and some flexibility it's good to know I'm not missing out on a ticket to some Boomer who decided to book 6 different trips home and then decide which one suits him best later. (And yes these people exist)
Booking anything in a pandemic should be with the assumption that shit might end up fucking up your plans, and as a result costing you money. I've lost money on things I had to book which had no refund policy, it sucks but that's the risk you take.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
TLDR
Your situation sucks for you, but for people like me who book with little notice and some flexibility it's good to know I'm not missing out on a ticket
Well maybe you should plan ahead instead of thinking an empty boat is sitting at the wharf, choofing smoke and tooting its horn in case you decide you would like an opportunistic trip to Tassie.

Or flipside, send them nearly $3000, 6 months in advance like I have done 4 times now.
 

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
In your contract does it state anywhere that they can change conditions of the contract? Typically done in writing via formal letter (email, post or sent as link). If not they have to honour the original contract. Not a lawyer but contracts are binding and sounds like they are being a bit cheeky now borders are opening. Might be time to go all Karen on them.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
Yeah it was a weird move offering 100% refunds, made it near impossible to book a ticket when I went over around Easter...
Don't book if you don't plan to travel.
The 100% refund scheme only started in ~August 2021, I posted about it on the LTIL thread so was not affecting your Easter junket.
 

Mattyp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 100% refund scheme only started in ~August 2021, I posted about it on the LTIL thread so was not affecting your Easter junket.
My work is contract based so planning ahead is non existent for me, opportunistic trips are great.
There were 100% refunds at and around Easter... How do I know? I was sitting In front of a computer hitting refresh waiting for someone to cancel their multiple booking so I could get a ticket to get home. This was the suggested tactic by the girl at SoT on the phone due to the mass of cancellations because of no obligation refunds. In her words "it's a bit of a shambles"
Anyway, glad this had its own thread now I think I've read about your saga in at least 3. Hope it works out for you.
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
Anyway, glad this had its own thread now I think I've read about your saga in at least 3. Hope it works out for you.
I said before there were a few stars to align to get us there and I wasn't holding much hope for it.

Reckon I'll call tomorrow and point out it's in my contract, if no luck. I'll cancel the trip as I have workmates on annual leave after me and can't let them down with quarantine or re-entry issues.

I can't reschedule as my height is over 2.1m and has to be booked well in advance.
 

rockmoose

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flinging our borders open 3 weeks after Melbourne has its most illustrious super spreader donkey race holiday is just asking for trouble.

I would bet 1/20 of a bitcoin that Tassie will have us tagged as a danger zone come travel time.
 

bobob

Squid
Red zone aside. You can always fly direct to Launceston, our shuttle guy for the time we were there, picked us up from the Airport, then to the trails at Derby. A few cheeky stops along the way to see some other trails and some stuff. No availabile accom in derby that week so they arranged branxholm accom and shuttled us into Derby each day.. shown around a few nice places to eat, spreading the money around the areas that were not derby. Just an option..
 

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
Red zone aside. You can always fly direct to Launceston, our shuttle guy for the time we were there, picked us up from the Airport, then to the trails at Derby. A few cheeky stops along the way to see some other trails and some stuff. No availabile accom in derby that week so they arranged branxholm accom and shuttled us into Derby each day.. shown around a few nice places to eat, spreading the money around the areas that were not derby. Just an option..
Premium MTB ?
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
Flinging our borders open 3 weeks after Melbourne has its most illustrious super spreader donkey race holiday is just asking for trouble.

I would bet 1/20 of a bitcoin that Tassie will have us tagged as a danger zone come travel time.
Yes its came at the worst time, the 3 weeks between us opening and Tassie opening is a massive worry.

Might end up in Melrose and head down to Lincoln NP for a week, maybe a week down the SE where its cooler... could even head into Vic (but not Bright ;))

Kangaroo island might even be a goer.

I'll have a grumpy Karen after nightshift chat with SOT tomorrow and see what happens.
 

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
I was wondering why they were so booked out when I looking at fares for early next year! Guess I better book further ahead than usual for the move down…
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
I was wondering why they were so booked out when I looking at fares for early next year! Guess I better book further ahead than usual for the move down…
The message everyone got is fares need to be amended or cancelled by Friday 29th by 08:59.

Check after that, there should be a few free spots.



382137
 
Top