Spoke keys/wrenches, what do you use and rate?

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
I've been building my own wheels and truing them for a while now, but have recently rounded my spoke wrench and sheared nipples due to this.
I've been using a cheap $5, 6 way spoke wrench from fleabay. Which surprisingly lasted a few years...

flea bay spoke wrench.JPG

I'm currently searching for various size spoke keys with four sided contact, such as the Pedro's Pro spoke wrenches in the images below.
I'm interested to hear what you use, either personal use or if you work in a shop. I'm not bothered if they're expensive but i would like them to be ergonomic and good quality, so they don't easily round off. The circular wrench was a pain near the end of a wheel build with its sharp edge. Which is why I'm looking at the four sided spoke wrenches and hooped handles.

Keen to hear what you use.

Cheers

spoke_wrenches_large.jpeg.jpgPedros 4 spoke wrenches.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm using a Unior 4 sided key, very good quality. $20 odd from a Polish crowd on eBay.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i just built up a set using the DT swiss tool, was great and is near on impossible to round a nipple off as you need to slide it on from the top.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Use everything, there are some pretty good ones, but p&k lie are the best. There's a guy on Gumtree selling some I think.

- Joel

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input guys!

Union Wrench looks of good quality, I've got their professional wheel truing stand and can't fault it. I only found two sizes in the spoke wrenches though, might have to look elsewhere other than ebay.

Is the bottom part of the DT Swiss wrench changeable? As it looks separate from the handle area and i couldn't find what size the red one is?

I'll look into the P&K lie wrenches, they and the Pedro's look to be the go at the moment. Pedro's have the two in one wrench but it looks like you could get more leverage with the P&K lie wrenches.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks for the input guys!

Union Wrench looks of good quality, I've got their professional wheel truing stand and can't fault it. I only found two sizes in the spoke wrenches though, might have to look elsewhere other than ebay.

Is the bottom part of the DT Swiss wrench changeable? As it looks separate from the handle area and i couldn't find what size the red one is?

I'll look into the P&K lie wrenches, they and the Pedro's look to be the go at the moment. Pedro's have the two in one wrench but it looks like you could get more leverage with the P&K lie wrenches.
Looking at your signature, do you have something to do with Pushie Industries?

Al lists Unior as one of his products.

Park Tools wrenches do it for me. Secure hold on the nipple, never rounded one yet. Finger friendly ergo shape, easy to keep hold of

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clockworked

Like an orange
same as above - the 4 sided park tool wrench was definitely worth the money. But I think any 4 sided key from a proper company will be equally good. I usually just use DT swiss spokes and nipples due to availability

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The classic:

3 sided but never caused me an issue, unlike those cheapie round things you've been using.

Attachments