Spray.Bike - Paint my bike advice!

DJ_m

Squid
I purchased a Specialized Rockhopper Expert beginning of last year. It was supposed to be a Specialized Epic Evo Comp (I had on lay-by) but COVID closed my business so I used what I'd already paid to get into something!
I'm slowly upgrading it. First was pedals, then grips and a dropper post on the way.
Next job is the colour of the bike which I have hated from the very beginning. Have been looking at the product Spray.Bike. It looks really interesting being a dry fall acrylic which should make getting a drip-free flat surface much easier. Anyone had any experience with this product?
I'm figuring that a couple of cans will do two coats and then a couple of coats of the clear finish. Around $100 all up.
With a relatively new frame, I'm assuming stripping is not necessary, just plenty of sanding and maybe an undercoat?
Is the branding "Specialized" a sticker-covered with a clear coat or paint? Am wondering how to get this flat as it is slightly raised on the surface.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Geee, if it is alloy then a complete paint strip or sand blast if you need it then etching primer and a few coats of your favourite I think would be the best way forward.

Can you find repo stickers or does Specialized still offer them?

If you cut corners then you might not get the results you want and be sad for many, many years.

Minlak

custom titis
I purchased a Specialized Rockhopper Expert beginning of last year. It was supposed to be a Specialized Epic Evo Comp (I had on lay-by) but COVID closed my business so I used what I'd already paid to get into something!
I'm slowly upgrading it. First was pedals, then grips and a dropper post on the way.
Next job is the colour of the bike which I have hated from the very beginning. Have been looking at the product Spray.Bike. It looks really interesting being a dry fall acrylic which should make getting a drip-free flat surface much easier. Anyone had any experience with this product?
I'm figuring that a couple of cans will do two coats and then a couple of coats of the clear finish. Around $100 all up.
With a relatively new frame, I'm assuming stripping is not necessary, just plenty of sanding and maybe an undercoat?
Is the branding "Specialized" a sticker-covered with a clear coat or paint? Am wondering how to get this flat as it is slightly raised on the surface.
Ok the stickers are applied before the clear coat is applied- so you can’t remove stickers with out removing clear coat - sanding will take forever and the little nooks and crannies will suck - paint stripper works Best Buy will take many coats and the ones that are best to use are very toxic and you should use some PPE.
I would strongly suggest you get the frame sand / glass / soda blasted by some one familiar with blasting aluminium - I had my frame powder coated which included sand blasting for $110 - just blasting would have been $50.
So now you need undercoat / primer before top coats and you need sand blasting so add another $100 ish to your budget.

DJ_m

Squid
Ok the stickers are applied before the clear coat is applied- so you can’t remove stickers with out removing clear coat - sanding will take forever and the little nooks and crannies will suck - paint stripper works Best Buy will take many coats and the ones that are best to use are very toxic and you should use some PPE.
I would strongly suggest you get the frame sand / glass / soda blasted by some one familiar with blasting aluminium - I had my frame powder coated which included sand blasting for $110 - just blasting would have been $50.
So now you need undercoat / primer before top coats and you need sand blasting so add another $100 ish to your budget.
Yeah, I’m familiar with paint stripper.
My thinking was, if the frame is completely smooth and free of decals then stripping the paint would be a waste of time. The current paint is already well adhered to the frame, sanded and it is effectively an undercoat in itself. Stripping the frame completely seems like overkill however if it can be done and resprayed professionally for the sort of money you are suggesting then I may go that route. Anyone in Melbourne recommended?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I used spray bike to paint some forks I accidently ordered in raw. Turned out good and I am a terrible painter generally.

The paint itself is made for newbies and doesn't run unless you really coat it on. Having said that it is a very matte finish which means you will probably need to sand the last paint layer if you want a gloss finish.

That's about the extent of my painting experience but the stuff is ok and works. Have used supercheap stuff before on other non bicycle parts and this stuff is a lot easier to use. Hope that helps.

DJ_m

Squid
I used spray bike to paint some forks I accidently ordered in raw. Turned out good and I am a terrible painter generally.

The paint itself is made for newbies and doesn't run unless you really coat it on. Having said that it is a very matte finish which means you will probably need to sand the last paint layer if you want a gloss finish.

That's about the extent of my painting experience but the stuff is ok and works. Have used supercheap stuff before on other non bicycle parts and this stuff is a lot easier to use. Hope that helps.
Cool, thanks.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I did this last year.
If you have the time, strip the frame.
Paint over the top gives a pretty average finish and the amount of coats required layers it on blocking up little parts of the frame. I painted over a section, wasnt happy then fully stripped the frame. Took 2 weekends a coupla hours a day to get it perfect.
Wish i could give a photo but the finished product is now in a mates garage and he interstate for the foreseeable future.