SRAM 1x11 - We knew it was coming...

MARKL

Eats Squid
I thought it would probably be a 9-36 cassette but according to the Dirt article it will be a 10-42 cassette that gives a massive range with a single front ring. SRAM have also done something funky to the front chainring so you don't need a chain guide. I imagine if you need to ask how much then you can't afford it...till it trickles down to other groupsets. Could this be the end of the front derailleur?

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/preview-sram-xx1.html

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow. that step from 10 to 11 was quick?
I can see where it would be good. but if people want a wide range on a cassette. why don't they just modify it themselves.?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've gone to 1x9 so far... it does lack a little range, but surely that could be corrected with about 11-38 or similar. Don't really need that many steps in between but would appreciate a *slightly* wider range.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
FSA had a 11 speed derailleur patent back in 2007..http://blog.rushsportscycling.com/files/2009/06/fsa-derailleur-fig-1.jpg
http://blog.rushsportscycling.com/files/2009/06/fsa-derailleur-fig-2.jpg

"FSA, Italian component manufacturers formerly well known for their design innovation have been quiet for some time now with nothing much triggering the radar. That was until yesterday afternoon however when I stumbled upon this: US 2007/0216130 A1 a little patent application filed on the 20th September 2007. In their patent is a design for an 11 speed rear derailleur that functions completely differently to ALL of the existing designs seen to date. It completely eliminates the need for a parallelogram to keep the derailleur moving parallel to the cassette and rather uses a set of small gears and drive in order to do so, simply and seemingly effectively.

Similarly innovative is the cable attachment [oh and we're getting to alternatives in a moment]. One often is heard complaining about just how difficult it is setting up 10 and 11 speed rear derailleurs as the room for error is far less than 7, 8 or even 9 speed counterparts. FSA however have a very simple and ingenious solution to this: automatically re-setting cable tension. What? Yes. Every time the rear derailleur is shifted into the “normal” -in this case High- gear the cable tension is mechanically re calibrated and adjusted in their words “so that an optimal position is always obtained for each inclination assumed by the bicycle transmission chain”.

In this design FSA have eliminated the need for a “floating” upper jockey wheel and as a result more precise, accurate and quieter shifting is possible. Moreover thanks to the elimination of the parallelogram and use of gears the derailleur will be able to make use of larger pivots and bushings increasing its life and dramatically improving its stiffness.

So how much better can it get? Well by using gears to control all of the rear derailleur movements it is far simpler to integrate servos to create an electronic system which could compete with Shimano and Campag. More-over FSA could implement an electronic “upgrade” system simply and effectively.

This is pure genius in my opinion! Whether or not they bring it to market it is this thinking that brings innovation, progress and healthy competition to our industry bringing us better, faster, stronger and lighter bikes. I love it!"

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like a great idea especially for the trail / AM riders . I think it will be well received in Aus . Single ring and 11 rear will give a great range .

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I reckon they'll do away with the cassette altogether and just integrate the entire thing in the hub.

Give it another 4 years, there will be a 1x25 speed setting.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I just wish Hope would release their integrated cassette/free hub with 9t cog already.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I just wish Hope would release their integrated cassette/free hub with 9t cog already.
yes, this seemed to be the ultimate solution - less chain length required, bigger difference in gearing, less weight - obviously there must be some sort of techncial issues, because its a couple of years now since it was mooted as pretty much ready to go. Though it seems to me to not exactly be that hard to make the cassette body and cassette all one part - it must be a problem with the teeth engagement just not being enough to stop skipping over the teeth at higher torque???

I reckon though is SRAM want this version to take off, they need to license it to everybody for not a lot of money - eg let shimano in at say $4-00 a cassette and derailleur royalty - i'm sick of non compatibles, and theres far more money to be made out of licensing than lots of competition.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-xx1-prototype-spotted-this-one-goes-to-11-34098/

Bit more about it.

However, they’re also built with alternating tooth thicknesses that are syncronized with the gaps in the chain – slightly narrower to fit between inner chain plates, and wider to take advantage of the extra space between outer chain plates.
Found that quite interesting. So if you don't put the inner plates mashing with the narrower teeth it wouldn't work as well.