SRAM announces 10 spd Grip shift woo hoo!

ADD

Likes Dirt
Will be interesting. So many haters though. I doubt these haters have ever used grip shift or they're to young to remember it. I remember when my best mate had it 10years ago. I'd always shotgun his bike. Actually, I could probably blame him and that bike for getting me into mountain biking.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
There's a bit of a chat over on the MTBR forum also, trying to remember the expected US prices, XO US$230 and XX $300 comes to mind. We will have to wait and see what Monza Sports do as far as pricing goes.

faz

Likes Dirt
Had the original gripshift on my XC hardtail. Wonderful product - should have it on my current bike but I'm too lazy to bother getting it converted.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ambivalent about Gripshift. Most people's modern impressions would be stuck around the plastic cheapies on some hybrid bikes which might reflect poorly on these. However, these'd have to be more logically effective than the current SRAM triggers - I'm not totally a fan of the unidirectional triggers.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
The XX and X0 Grip Shift has a complete interlocking shifter and grip system with clamp on design. The full metal internal mechanism for XX level allows very precise shifting and durability while the three rows of ball bearings deliver smoothness, precision, reduced cable pull force, and durability in all conditions.

The XX Grip Shift comes with a full Gore Ride On cable system. Next April Grip Shift will be introduced to the US after-market only, in order to get consumer feedback first before the global introduction.

Sounds good. I just love being able to grab a whole handful of gears in one twist, 10spd here I come. Looking at the pic the shifter seems to take up less space as well.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
"Next April Grip Shift will be introduced to the US after-market only"

As in april 2013? It'd be 2014 or even 15 before it arrives here then.

I'm not sure on this, I've got SRAM X9 triggers and they work great. I ride with my index finger resting on brake lever most of the time. I like that I can brake and change gears at same time with soft pedalling. With grip shift I'm not sure I'd be able to break and shift.

ADD

Likes Dirt

I'm not sure on this, I've got SRAM X9 triggers and they work great. I ride with my index finger resting on brake lever most of the time. I like that I can brake and change gears at same time with soft pedalling. With grip shift I'm not sure I'd be able to break and shift.
From my understanding it's this April '12.

You will still be able to brake whilst shifting. You can still shift with your thumb on grip shift. Surprisingly easier than you think.

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
I asked at Trailmix for Aus pricing and got;

SRAM XX Grip Shift - 2X10 with Ride-On Sealed Cable System & Lock-On Stationary Grips
RRP - $319.95

SRAM X0 Grip Shift - Silver or Red 2X10 or 3x10 with Lock-On Stationary Grips
RRP - $244.95

I WILL be buying. Gripshift is fantastic!

Oldas

Likes Dirt
I asked at Trailmix for Aus pricing and got;

SRAM XX Grip Shift - 2X10 with Ride-On Sealed Cable System & Lock-On Stationary Grips
RRP - $319.95

SRAM X0 Grip Shift - Silver or Red 2X10 or 3x10 with Lock-On Stationary Grips
RRP - $244.95

I WILL be buying. Gripshift is fantastic!

Available when?

Oldas

Likes Dirt
Ok great, you would think online outlets would have them almost now then? I wish.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
If only SRAM could match Shimano in the braking stakes. SRAM brakes are crud in my experience. Might have to use SRAM to go forward and Shimano to stop!

Oldas

Likes Dirt
I have no idea who get's what first or what SRAM's marketing is. All I know is often you see these things online very quickly and at much cheaper prices. The sites are often supported by large shops or distributors anyway.

If you say SRAM are supporting retailers then that's great for retailer's. Hopefully retailers are supporting their consumer's. Thought's lol..

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Fantastic news, can finally give 2 X10 a go! Sram.....so glad this will be finally coming out!

morrisan

Likes Bikes
I have been using my SRAM twister 9 speed for a long time and I can tell they are too easy to adjust, too easy to do the shifting and simple. Now I will have to start to save some money.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt

When I first went to grip shift I had these concerns too. You can still pull the brake lever with your fingers and move the palm of your hand on the grip shifter to twist it and change gears. The shifting is so much more precise too.

Seriously, when did NEXT start to mean the next one after the next one? By definition it means nearest or soonest.