SRAM drivetrain?

stirk

Burner
Wait, what? Are you running your cassette inside out? (talking cassettes, not chainring, Einstein. Your ring size is irrelevant to your derailleur length)
The equation to calculate rear derailleur capacity is based on a formula which factors in ring size, not everyone is running 1x drivetrains.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wait, what? Are you running your cassette inside out? (talking cassettes, not chainring, Einstein. Your ring size is irrelevant to your derailleur length)
I'm just being a smart arse, thought I'd try it out as everyone else.was having a go...I don't pedal up anything steep enough to warrant an extender cog or a long cage mech.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Cannot find the other thread on this, but Bike 24 is no longer shipping SRAM products to Aus, I wonder how longer before others follow?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Cannot find the other thread on this, but Bike 24 is no longer shipping SRAM products to Aus, I wonder how longer before others follow?
I might keep my recently removed 10sp drivetrain for a bit. Looks like an appreciating asset,

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Noooo, they were one of the last holdouts!
Sounds like just the beginning - will Fox follow suit, then other brands? Is this a form of restraint of trade?

If this is the writing on the wall as far as cheap O/S components is concerned, I'd like to know why we are still getting shafted with local pricing from the Aussie online retailers? Not suggesting that they are the actual problem, they probably have to contend with higher distributor pricing and run super low margins as is, but why does it seem they are only competitive with O/S stores when their stuff is on sale?

Thanks to Malcolm Turnbullshit we've got FTA's with just about every freaking country in the world; how does that not mean better local pricing on just about everything? Is it simply a volume pricing thing, the US and EU having a shitload more people and the online stores buy heaps more stock at once, or is it like iTunes - different pricing for different jurisdictions and we just bend over and take it in the name of corporate greed? Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the local online market getting more or less competitive relative to overseas stores? Keen to hear thoughts from local online store owners/representatives too.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike-components looks like you can still ship. Bike24 not shipping is an absolute disaster as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like i'll be getting a german freight forwarder!

Last edited:

Nambra

Bike-components looks like you can still ship. Bike24 not shipping is an absolute disaster as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like i'll be getting a german freight forwarder!
Good to know re: bike-components, although you'd have to think that they'll have to bow to SRAM's wishes eventually too.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best part about overseas stores is not so much the price, but the range. Particularly for little tiny bits (e.g. a reverb hose barb) that i could have delivered to my door. I guess the only options will be the forever out of stock aussie online retailers, or the LBS.

Hypothetical : With a freight forwarder, do they declare the amount the package is worth on the outside of the box? Could you grey market import $3k worth of stuff, e.g. free shipping to a german forwarder, then pay the $100 or so for them to send the package here?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Our politicians are hopeless. They go and negotiate all these bogus trade deals and sign our lives away (remember the taxpayer forking out to defend plain packaging lawsuit?) and then fail miserably to get any benefit for the consumer.

Go screw yourself sram. This will not only hurt the component sales, but aussie buyers will thinnk twice before buying sram equippped new bikes. I know I will.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Guess I won't be getting a SRAM Force Disc groups for the roadie after all... This is a good way to lose a lot of aftermarket sales. Don't imagine the volume would ever compare to OE supplies, but it wont do their reputation much good.

You're looking at two new bikes, one Shimano and one SRAM - I wonder how many people will look at them and think "Hmmm, only one of these has decently priced spare parts available...".

jarrod839

Banned
I run SRAM brakes and drivetrain and yeah it sux that SRAM have stopped us aussies from buying overseas but ring around your LBS and you will find that prices really aren't much different and most shops only take 3 to 5 days to order in.

Nambra

The best part about overseas stores is not so much the price, but the range. Particularly for little tiny bits (e.g. a reverb hose barb) that i could have delivered to my door. I guess the only options will be the forever out of stock aussie online retailers, or the LBS.

Hypothetical : With a freight forwarder, do they declare the amount the package is worth on the outside of the box? Could you grey market import $3k worth of stuff, e.g. free shipping to a german forwarder, then pay the $100 or so for them to send the package here?
Completely agree on all those little hard to get service parts - although I can see how it would make no commercial sense for any shop, online or not, to stock 'once in a blue moon sale' stuff. But with a world wide market, even the number of sales on a slow moving stock item is enough to justify keeping it on the shelf. I am impressed with places like Moruya Bicycles though, for having a good shot at servicing the oddball parts market locally.

With freight forwarding, what you suggest is entirely possible but I think with the explosion of global online trading, Australian customs is far more attuned to under-declaring the value of imported goods. If it gets through without attracting attention, you win, but if not you're probably up for all the duties, GST and possibly a nasty fine as well? I bought a decent set of headphones from the US a few years ago and the seller declared them as being a returned item that has been repaired, which I thought was fairly clever at the time.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I run SRAM brakes and drivetrain and yeah it sux that SRAM have stopped us aussies from buying overseas but ring around your LBS and you will find that prices really aren't much different and most shops only take 3 to 5 days to order in.
At the moment maybe. Now that they have no competition I don't expect that to last!!