SRAM DUB - Another thing you didnt ask for to fix that problem you have but didnt know about.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
So once you let the marketing wash over you (and then have a wash), the summary is SRAM have created a new crank standard and BB unit standard to fit into existing BB shell options.

I like the way they proudly pronounce themselves the spotters of ( not contributors to) the BB standards problem and now our saviour.

FFS

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Read about these the other day...
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/SRAM-Simplifies-the-Crank-with-DUB,2178
http://reviews.mtbr.com/deep-dive-into-srams-new-dub-system

What is the diameter of a DUB oversized spindle?
The diameter was reduced from our 30mm version just enough in order to allow for proper sealing with all standard BB configurations. We shrunk the diameter just enough to get the seals we wanted into each of our DUB platform bottom brackets. The spindle diameter ended up at 28.99mm.

SRAM realised that Race Face cranks with 30mm spindles are lighter, so they came up with their own version with a 29mm spindle and claim it is now the lightest.

FFS indeed!

moorey

call me Mia
Of course, you could all choose to boycott...but you won’t....not when it’s shiny, and 7g lighter...

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Every bloody crankset on the market requires it's own BB standard for fitment of the spindle and the frame shell.
I think the community is becoming a little bit of a hammer in search of a nail.

moorey

call me Mia
I love the spiderless threaded GXP. If it ever runs out...and I can’t see it disappearing in my riding life, I’ll lookat options. This is no true improvement, or necessity, and I won’t be rushing in to use it.

moorey

call me Mia
Every bloody crankset on the market requires it's own BB standard for fitment of the spindle and the frame shell.
I think the community is becoming a little bit of a hammer in search of a nail.
Not true...only new stuff keeps changing. You’re a part of the problem, my friend.

stirk

Burner
Problem is with availability of older standards replacement parts. You can only hold out for so long.
The average punter who knows little about bike mechanics and servicing gets more confused if they go online and try to buy parts themselves.

Option a) 30mm
Option b) 28.99
Option c) 26.66

They give up and take the bike to the 'dealership' to get fixed, hence supporting the dealer network, a bit like the geo blocking tried to do.

The experienced MTB'er can easily hold out by simply contacting Moorey for those really hard to get 2 year old parts.

Z

Zaf

Not true...only new stuff keeps changing. You’re a part of the problem, my friend.
Where the hell were all of you when E*thirteen came up with their own BB's and Spindles, or Rotor, or Raceface, or Cannondale, or S-Works.
Lets not forget to mention the different direct mount standards for each and every one of those on top of that.

Who cares, BB's, BB shells and cranks are a huge mess anyway; one more to the mix isn't really gonna hurt.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Where the hell were all of you when E*thirteen came up with their own BB's and Spindles, or Rotor, or Raceface, or Cannondale, or S-Works.
Lets not forget to mention the different direct mount standards for each and every one of those on top of that.

Who cares, BB's, BB shells and cranks are a huge mess anyway; one more to the mix isn't really gonna hurt.
I complained then as well. And for those of you thinking of hoarding 104 bcd Hollowtech 2, you're very late to the game mwahahahahaha!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...We shrunk the diameter just enough to get the seals we wanted into each of our DUB platform bottom brackets. The spindle diameter ended up at 28.99mm...
This is caused by the abomination that is press-fit bottom brackets. If they just would have stuck with good old BSA threaded bottom brackets then you can easily run a 30mm crank spindle with good sealing and large external bearings.