Sram gripshift as dropper remote

Switch

huskier headed gent
Forgot to mention the most annoying thing you are going to do is spill your beer if its your dominant thumb that you lost.
You will go to grab it out of reflex and it will spit out from between your fingers and thumb :doh: still happens occasionally after 5 years you would think I would learn.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yes.

Although "works" is slightly overstating things...
Ha, tell me about it...although after my last one turned into a suspension post it was warrantied out with the new version that's supposed to fix reliability issues...so we shall see. Well, we shall see after I've loosened off the collar which seems to have been overtightened so the post sticks when returning up. How can these things be so damn complicated!

Good luck with the surgery bowtajzane, hopefully you're back riding in no time.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Forgot to mention the most annoying thing you are going to do is spill your beer if its your dominant thumb that you lost.
You will go to grab it out of reflex and it will spit out from between your fingers and thumb :doh: still happens occasionally after 5 years you would think I would learn.
O'for the love of God.:doh: ....is there no justice in this wold..

Bikebasher

Cannon Fodder
thanks guys, the reason i asked is ,i cut/crushed half of my left thumb in the tailgate of one of the trucks at work, the surgeons reattached the soggy bit ,but unfortunately it hasn't worked so they need to remove it,so not sure how much length i will be left with.......
so this is just a bit of forward thinking........
We are in the same boat mate. Waterski rope pulled my thumb off a long time ago. With grafts, I have half a thumb, minus the knuckle. I can work the dropper but it's not comfortable or easy. We have to get this worked out. I like the gripshift idea. I wish you all of the best with your surgery. I found that shuffling cards was great PT. You will be back in the saddle soon.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
We are in the same boat mate. Waterski rope pulled my thumb off a long time ago. With grafts, I have half a thumb, minus the knuckle. I can work the dropper but it's not comfortable or easy. We have to get this worked out. I like the gripshift idea. I wish you all of the best with your surgery. I found that shuffling cards was great PT. You will be back in the saddle soon.
Would something like this be easier to operate given your injury or the same issue?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Would something like this be easier to operate given your injury or the same issue?

Although I have a full thumb, I looked into a few different LH remote lever options for my Carbonda and ended up with one of those.

FWIW - I generally only use the (outermost) thumb knuckle to operate the lever. Works really well and has quite a light action. Can confirm it's important not to overtighten the clamping screw, but equivalent screws can be sourced from the local bolt shop. Drilling the old screw out was a bit sketchy though.

I did see some twist-grip 3-speed shifters available for sale that didn't have any spring/indexing that would work fine for a dropper, but then you'd generally have to run shortened grip to not have clearance issue with the brake lever positioning.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I know the price is high but an AXS dropper would be great for you because it's essentially just a button, has a very light action and no throw.