Sram gripshift as dropper remote

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm with moorey, but it would be a different way of operation.

A shifter indexes from one position to the next, but your 'normal' dropper post lever returns to original position when released. My guess is that if you used a shifter as-is, you'd have to twist to another gear position to release the post locking mechanism and allow raise or lower motions, but then you'd need to return the shifter to the original position to re-lock the post at the desired height. If you left the shifter in the 'post unlocked' position the seat would be free to follow your arse as you go up and down on the saddle - might feel weird to some...

stoo

Likes Dirt
The old school grip shift had a flat spring steel piece for indexing, just rip that out and all good as he said.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm with moorey, but it would be a different way of operation.

A shifter indexes from one position to the next, but your 'normal' dropper post lever returns to original position when released. My guess is that if you used a shifter as-is, you'd have to twist to another gear position to release the post locking mechanism and allow raise or lower motions, but then you'd need to return the shifter to the original position to re-lock the post at the desired height. If you left the shifter in the 'post unlocked' position the seat would be free to follow your arse as you go up and down on the saddle - might feel weird to some...
The spring in dropper mechanisms is in the post, not the lever. So take the indexing spring out of the shifter so it can twist freely & away you go, the spring in the post head will pull the cable back when you release.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Assuming you're not running something like a Reverb with a hydraulic release of course.

Is the Reverb the only dropper that works that way out of interest?

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
thanks guys, the reason i asked is ,i cut/crushed half of my left thumb in the tailgate of one of the trucks at work, the surgeons reattached the soggy bit ,but unfortunately it hasn't worked so they need to remove it,so not sure how much length i will be left with.......
so this is just a bit of forward thinking........

madstace

Likes Dirt
thanks guys, the reason i asked is ,i cut/crushed half of my left thumb in the tailgate of one of the trucks at work, the surgeons reattached the soggy bit ,but unfortunately it hasn't worked so they need to remove it,so not sure how much length i will be left with.......
so this is just a bit of forward thinking........
Dude, not cool, sorry to hear that. Hope it gets sorted as best it can.

As another option, what about the 9point8 trigger remote? Can be found here, looks like this:

p4pb10415245.jpg

To save you loading their horrendously slow website, it's currently out of stock, but might be worthwhile sending them an email to see when it will be available again. Either way, good luck with it all!

Warp

Likes Dirt
What about a front shifter?

Every friggin time I try to use my post, I end up braking with the standard Giant lever.

I suppose I will get used eventually (sort of dropper newbie here) but sure there is a better way. The lever on these things is thought to occupy space along with a brake and shifter lever, but now the shifter is gone, sure there is a better way to operate. Under the bar should be better.

Switch

huskier headed gent
20160427_084332_resized (1).jpg

Hi bowtajzane, you are not alone in the stubby thumbed rotorburn community. It is a seriously shitty thing to have happen but with time you will get used to it.

This is a link to my story and a similar thread discussing shifting options when I did it 5 years ago, be warned there are some gory pics.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ARNING-GORY-PICS-ADDED**&highlight=amputation

If I cop a hit to the end of my thumb it will still put me on my arse but you get used to working around it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything and good luck with the recovery and further surgeries.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Switch, thats what i envisage my thumb will end up looking like,so.....you stil use a normal shifter and what about the glove situation did you have to modify it ?

Switch

huskier headed gent
I lost it just past the knuckle, I am still using normal shifters with no dramas. Takes a fairly long time for it not to be sore to the touch to use the shifter but eventually it is okay.
As for gloves I have not bothered modifying them at all. The end of the glove will just naturally start to fold back as you use them and my sense of touch is fairly dull now so don't notice the extra fabric as much as I anticipate I would a seam from cutting the end off.

moorey

call me Mia
Elephant in the room...by choice, I run all my droppers with the lever, not a remote. Looks neater, no cable, and never an issue dropping in a hurry in 6 years riding droppers.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The spring in dropper mechanisms is in the post, not the lever. So take the indexing spring out of the shifter so it can twist freely & away you go, the spring in the post head will pull the cable back when you release.
I'm aware of that and I did qualify my statement by saying "using the shifter as-is" but shit, semantics just got trumped by the misfortunes of bowtajzane and Switch. Hope it all works out for the pair of you and get to keep riding.

madstace

Likes Dirt
thanks for the tip....i was only thinking last night that some type finger operated lever might be a option
I had another look at all the different types of remotes and the other one that could work is the X-Fusion HiLo. It is an omnidirectional stick-like lever, so depending on clearance with your brakes, you could mount it within reach of your index finger. The 9point8 remote probably has it beat for ergonomics with finger actuation, but could be worth a try as well. I'll send out a query to a mate who has that post and see what's what.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
thanks madstace,being reassured by Switch that my present setup should be fine..
it's strange, but the first thing i thought about was,how am i going to operate my dropper remote.....
who says im obsessed about riding bikes.