SRAM Guide Lever & Elixir Caliper?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey couple of quick questions:

Currently I am running Avid Elixir 7s. Having issues with heat build up in the levers locking up the brakes despite numerous bleeds (apparently a common problem).

Can I replace the Avid Elixir Levers with the new SRAM Guide Levers? From my understanding the caliper in the elixirs and guides is the same.

If so can I reuse the hose barb, hose fitting and comp nut from my current setup or do I have to buy these new as well?

Thanks for your help

cheers

RaID

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure SRAM will not provide guide levers on their own, only with the set. But if you find them anyway then I would not reuse the olive and barb.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Hey couple of quick questions:

Currently I am running Avid Elixir 7s. Having issues with heat build up in the levers locking up the brakes despite numerous bleeds (apparently a common problem).

Can I replace the Avid Elixir Levers with the new SRAM Guide Levers? From my understanding the caliper in the elixirs and guides is the same.

If so can I reuse the hose barb, hose fitting and comp nut from my current setup or do I have to buy these new as well?

Thanks for your help

cheers

RaID
Not too sure with mixing Elixir & Guide bits - the calipers are not the same. Elixir are two-piston, while the Guides (which are the same as X9/X0/XX Trail) are four-piston. My unconfirmed suspicion is that although the individual pistons in the Elixir caliper are bigger than the Guide/Trail, the cylinder volume is smaller, which could give a very aggressive brake feel, as the master cylinder in the Guide levers would be designed to pair with those calipers.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not too sure with mixing Elixir & Guide bits - the calipers are not the same. Elixir are two-piston, while the Guides (which are the same as X9/X0/XX Trail) are four-piston. My unconfirmed suspicion is that although the individual pistons in the Elixir caliper are bigger than the Guide/Trail, the cylinder volume is smaller, which could give a very aggressive brake feel, as the master cylinder in the Guide levers would be designed to pair with those calipers.
Elixir 7 & 9 calipers are 4 piston and appear to be the same as the Guide calipers on all of the exploded views I've seen. There might been some minor differences in the piston diameters but externally they look identical. The main issue with the elixir brakes is at the lever end not calipers.

Elixir 3 & 5 calipers are 2 piston.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure SRAM will not provide guide levers on their own, only with the set. But if you find them anyway then I would not reuse the olive and barb.
Thanks I'll grab new olives and barbs.

I wouldn't think SRAM would provide guide levers on their own freely however if you look around they are available and its a cheaper brake upgrade then getting a whole new brake set, plus I don't have to dick around with putting new hoses through internal cable routed frame, just replace the levers.