sram rival

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
anyone using a sram rival derailleur on his/her dh bike?
if yes does it work well with a nine speed casette?
thanks

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Unless you're running the Rival or Force shifters you can't run the derailleurs, and i havn't seen anyone running dropbars in DH lately.

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
i read,on decent i think, that a guy in england rode a sram rival witha 10 speed cassette on a dh rig.
i'm pretty sure he didn't use drop bars either.

Demo Dave

Likes Dirt
i read,on decent i think, that a guy in england rode a sram rival witha 10 speed cassette on a dh rig.
i'm pretty sure he didn't use drop bars either.
not sure about that, but you could use a shimano 10spd shifter off a flat bar road bike with a 10spd chain+cassette+derailleur and that should work. But why? Just use normal sram mtb 9spd stuff.

Rik

logged out
The same reason people prefer to use Ultegra/Dura Ace derailluers maybe????????????????????????????????????

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Bling factor for sure, but what is wrong with short cage X9? Does teh same job. The fact that you can get short cage MTB ders is why I question people getting road gear. Although it would be interesting to see how much of a thrashing the SRAM road gear can take though.

For running a 10 speed derailler anyway...you could run it on a 9 speed shifter and drivetrain, only thing would be if there is enough clearance for a 9 speed chain in there.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
The same reason people prefer to use Ultegra/Dura Ace derailluers maybe????????????????????????????????????
I only had all the questions marks to make up the minimum character limit, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
who's selling shortcage x9?
it says in their blurp that it works wit 8/9/10 speed so i reckon their should be enough space for the chain.
i suppose i should have asked whether the side movement per shift is the same as for their mountain bike gear.
now i think of it it must be the same because the road cassettes work with mtb derailleures also.
answered my own question i think.

Last edited:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Just in case you missed it, Rival and Force will not work with any of the Sram MTB stuff, for the same reason that the Sram X-stuff isn't compatable with shimano rear derailleurs and shifters- they all have different cable pull ratios.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Just in case you missed it, Rival and Force will not work with any of the Sram MTB stuff, for the same reason that the Sram X-stuff isn't compatable with shimano rear derailleurs and shifters- they all have different cable pull ratios.
Would it work with attack shifters? Or is it not 1:1 either?

peanut

Likes Dirt
If it's 1:1 then it should work. the deraillieur only moves as far as the shifter tells it to.

Say for arguments sake the internals of the force shifter moves 3mm per shift, that means the deraillieur moves 3mm.
This would be a 1:1 ratio. The only way to gaurentee that is to measure it.

The x series is a 1:1 ratio so if it doesn't work then the force must be a different ratio.

I read an article on shimano deraillieurs where cable location on the mech affected its leverage, connected above the allen bolt was a different leverage to under the allen bolt, i'll have hunt around for it.
This may well apply to the force mechs also.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no it won't work, well not perfectly - sram road and sram mtb derailleurs don't use the same actuation ratio - they're both marketed as 'exact actuation' basically because it's closer to exact than shimano and when rounded to whole numbers the ratio is exact or '1:1'. The decimals are different though. From memory:

SRAM MTB - 1:1.1
SRAM Road - 1:1.2
Shimano - 1:1.7 (or 1:1.9, can't remember)

any way, Rival rear mech with SRAM MTB shifters probably would work to some extent, but you'd be better off running a short cage X.9 or X.0

I read an article on shimano deraillieurs where cable location on the mech affected its leverage, connected above the allen bolt was a different leverage to under the allen bolt, i'll have hunt around for it.
This may well apply to the force mechs also.
Correct, putting the cable on the other side of the bolt makes the derailleur move more per shift - if you use a 9 speed shifter, and put the cable on the opposite side of the bolt the movement of the derailleur will suit an 8 speed cassette. Which is handy if you decide you want to run 8 speed but can't find any decent 8 speed shifters.

Last edited: