SRAM Truvativ Noir GXP 3.3 carbon cranks ...experiences

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I have an old set of RaceFace Deus cranks that are just about buggered - the drive side crank keeps coming loose. It is not in danger of coming off it just wobbles but you bet it is annoying me. The solution is to tighten the self extracting cap. Race Face fixed this and changed the design (I have another set and they use a different, read standard, self extracting bolt and cap) around 2006/7 I think.

Anyway I have just about made up my mind to buy SRAM's Truvativ Noir GXP 3.3 carbon redwins...they look purty with the red anodize bits and carbon crank arms. I notice even XTR FC-M970 cranks have moved to a similar bolt attachment for the left crank instead of the 2 pinch bolts formerly used on FC-M960 and still on the XT.

Anyone using these cranks? What is your experience? What year did you buy them?

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic Crankset, Light, stiff and super strong.
only problem is the finish is very easy to rub off with shoe scuff, so make sure you get some 'crankskins' from ebay for them.

Although, they really aren't the lightest cranks going around, especially considering the price.
In my opinion, I'd just stick with Stylo's.
Sure, they dont come in pretty colours, but they're much cheaper, and no need to worry about smashing them on rocks!

Josh

Exie

Likes Dirt
G'day,

I've actually got one of these, and I agree Norco about the crank arms. Mine are only 4 months old and are pretty roughed up!

The red chain ring does look nice, but the anodizing wears off pretty quick around the teeth. My bottom bracket is also about done, looks like some water got into it and it's toast.

The best bit about it is you only need an 8mm allen key to install/remove the arms, I do like this mechanism.

If I were buying a new crankset tomorrow .... (probably will before the year is out) I could go either way, the SRAM/Truvative X.0 kit havent done enough to stand out in my book.

Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I have the Noirs aswell. The day I got them I put on a heavy duty clear coat plastic. this has done me well.

I will say that I have smashed the heck out of them on rocks. The race face crank arm boots are a good fix for this. My only real complaint is the bottom bracket. it was toast in about 600 km's and the new one is about 1400km's and now creaks.

My next cranks will be either XTR or somthing similiar.

Last edited:

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Truvativ have stated that for 2011 they will be offering a newer version of the GXP bottom bracket, with a proper, working waterproof seal, that will...HOPEFULLY, make their BB's last!

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Truvativ have stated that for 2011 they will be offering a newer version of the GXP bottom bracket, with a proper, working waterproof seal, that will...HOPEFULLY, make their BB's last!
too bad they had to make their axle a different diameter to everyone else therefore needing their own BB

Goliath

Cannon Fodder
I have just junked my Noir's - Carbon has seperated from the aluminium spine that binds the axle on the non-drive side arm. Ie carbon arm wobbles a few degrees on the aluminium core while the bolt/spine/axle interface is fine.I brought them second hand but they were in good condition only a few months old. I used them about a year for cross crountry / endurance type riding (no big hit stuff). GXP bottom brackets are not well sealed and use a unique axle diameter so aftermarket replacements are very limited. It dose not appear possible to contact Trvativ/Sram about such issues (I could find no means of contact on the net, and my LBS said as second hand would not contact on my behalf). Interestingly I've just brought a Deus SL, didn't want Shimano as had a bad experience with XTR m960 - soft expensive rings with unique diameters). Bring back square taper I say...

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to ruin everyones thunder...
Truvativ bb size is the same as everyone else (ie. Shimano)
You CAN run a XTR BB with a truvativ crankset if you want.

:cool:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No the BB from XTR wont work as the bearing is smaller on one side on the Noir cranksets..

Ive been considering getting some of the Noir’s for my commy meta4.. I have some new slx cranks sitting there but the bling of the Noir’s has me very very tempted..

Regarding the bottom bracket they have been known to crap out pretty quickly but there are solutions:

full bb
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id225.html
or just the bearings
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id228.html

The cranksets can be found pretty cheaply on ebay or crc too.

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
No the BB from XTR wont work as the bearing is smaller on one side on the Noir cranksets..

Ive been considering getting some of the Noir’s for my commy meta4.. I have some new slx cranks sitting there but the bling of the Noir’s has me very very tempted..

Regarding the bottom bracket they have been known to crap out pretty quickly but there are solutions:

full bb
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id225.html
or just the bearings
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id228.html

The cranksets can be found pretty cheaply on ebay or crc too.
agree with this. The Enduro BB bearing kit for Truvativ is really good.

The Truvativ BB uses a different ID bearing on the LHS to the 24mm used on the RHS, and on both sides of the RF, shimano, FSA etc BBs.

- Joel

floody

Wheel size expert
Truvativ BB uses a removable spacer in the non drive side to step the inner diameter down. But they are a different width laterally too. I've tried hybridising them and it doesn't really work.

I have just junked my Noir's - Carbon has seperated from the aluminium spine that binds the axle on the non-drive side arm. Ie carbon arm wobbles a few degrees on the aluminium core while the bolt/spine/axle interface is fine.I brought them second hand but they were in good condition only a few months old. I used them about a year for cross crountry / endurance type riding (no big hit stuff). GXP bottom brackets are not well sealed and use a unique axle diameter so aftermarket replacements are very limited. It dose not appear possible to contact Trvativ/Sram about such issues (I could find no means of contact on the net, and my LBS said as second hand would not contact on my behalf). Interestingly I've just brought a Deus SL, didn't want Shimano as had a bad experience with XTR m960 - soft expensive rings with unique diameters). Bring back square taper I say...
Your 2nd hand cranks are clapped out and you're trying to contact the distributor? LOL.

Last edited: